Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Did I do this?

Hey folks..
Today when washing my car I noticed what to my untrained eye appears to be a clearcoat problem on my polished wheel.

Is this clear coat that has been damaged? If not, what is it? Did I do this? I don't remember scraping any curbs. Is it repairable? Will it be expensive to repair?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
What the heck? Thats a weird one... almost looks like the paint just peeled off. Have you been using any really aggressive wheel cleaners or anything? If not I'd say head into the dealer for a warranty claim... might just be a defect.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
cam62

Thanks Dylan.. glad I have a pro saying "what the heck?" Makes me feel a "little" better.

Nope, nothing but meguires car wash soap. Adams clay bar once or twice and that's about it. Use a microfiber pad when I wash the wheels.

I'll be at the dealer wednesday for the convertible top tsb and point it out to them. See what they say.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
I'm with Dylan on this one, I looking at it using my cell. But do let us know what the dealer says.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
I think mine has this issue as well. Let us know what the dealership says. The previous owner of my car couldn't drive, lots of curb rash.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Nick@Adams

This doesn't much resemble curb rash... there doesn't appear to be any gouges or damage, its almost like something just peeled off the surface.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
I thought mine was caused by curb rash, but maybe not. Also, it seems like my wheel's clear coat is peeling off or something. Not sure what's going on there, I use a microfiber cloth and it ends up having a lot of bunched up clear stuff coming off of it.

Sorry to thread jack .
Old 04-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
That looks like the wheel was damaged (hard to tell from the picture) when they mounted it. That is a very smooth abrasion. To be honest it looks like there was damage that somebody attempted to sand out previously based on the lack of a hard edge (in the photo). Give that it is unlikely, I would go with my first guess that it is damage from mounting process.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
cam62

Dealer wouldn't warranty it. I asked what do you think caused it? "I don't know" My assumption is they think damage vs defect.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Nick@Adams

I'm sure you can find a local wheel repair guy to fix it good as new... sucks that it has to come out of your pocket, but it can be fixed.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '112SS/RS'12CruzECO'11CruzeLTZ,Mini
Quote:
Dealer wouldn't warranty it. I asked what do you think caused it? "I don't know" My assumption is they think damage vs defect.
Sorry to see.How you been besides? I would try hitting up the dealer again and pressing the issue or go to another dealer(Go to a body shop and get an independent opinion MAY help) Doesn't look like curb rash. Like some others said it looks like the paint peeled.Can you try posting another pic or two. If all else fails like Dylan said maybe give a place like this a call.
http://thewheelwiz.com/the_wheel_wiz/Welcome.html
Some of these mobile wheel repair companies can work wonders and at a price much less than a wheel replacement.

SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Mezzmo

Drives: 2012 45th RS
Sorry to hear that. I agree with Dylan. The lines look too straight to be rash. Unless it was done with a razor blade. My daughter rashed up one of my wheels, took it to a wheel repair shop and they quoted $150 to fix the rash and repaint the wheels. Not too bad considering the price of a new wheel.
Mezzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Looks like a damaged wheel with bondo on it.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote