Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Hard to get reverse after clutch install

Just looking for tips. I have a 2011 M6 with Factory Hurst shifter. As the title says having hard time getting in reverse after clutch install. It will go into reverse, the shifter motion to the right is very stiff. No problems in the up motion. All froward gears are not an issue at all. Installer has double checked linkage once. I spoke with clutch manufacturer and he suggested there may be air in the hydraulics still. I had suspension work done and that installer looked at it briefly. They re-bled the hydraulics since I had SS brake lines installed. He also told me that if he loosened the frame around the rubber boot under the tunnel until nuts were about on one thread that the shifting into reverse got easier. He did not look into further since I am having the original clutch installer fix the issue. I'm still thinking its a linkage issue. The original installer told me he had to remove the shifter linkage completely to remove tranny. Does any one have an exploded view, or link to, the linkage and how it mounts to tranny? I just checked to see if the boot under the leather boot was bunching up but thats not the issue. Hoping it was an easy fix. Thats about what it feels like when shifting in reverse. Please give me your opinions and items to troubleshoot. Thx.

Mike
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Here is a link to a couple installation videos for a Camaro MGW shifter. They should give you an idea how the shifter assembly is mounted since it completely replaces the factory assembly. I agree with you that it is the shifter/linkage problem. If it was a clutch bleeding issue, I would think shifting into all gears would be affected. There are 2 pins that connect the arms of the shifter assembly to the trans. They should be in the video. make sure the pins are in correctly and locked into place. If this looks good loosen the 4 bolts holding the cross member to body and the 2 bolts holding the bottom of the trans mount to the cross member. Now try to shift the rear of the trans one way then the other. Check reverse with trans shifted in both directions as well as when it is centered between the 2 extremes. When they put it back together it might have been tightened in a misaligned position causing the linkage to bind a little. If that's not the problem, tighten up trans mount bolts and back the cross member bolts off enough so the rear of the trans drops some. The bolts are long so you can let it down 1/2" to 3/4". Don't let the bolts come out. Then try reverse. If it is ok then your linkage is binding up on top the trans and you need to find out where. Let car in reverse and tighten the cross member bolts back up. Now find the linkage rod where it comes out of the rubber boot under shifter and follow it up to the trans and see if it comes real close to the top of the trans anywhere. If it does, you found the bind. When I installed a Hurst aftermarket shifter I checked the linkage clearance with the shifter in each gear. All gears had good clearance except 2nd. The linkage was only .057 of an inch from touching the trans (I checked with a feeler gauge). This can be a problem with some short throw shifter designs because the shorter the throw, the lower the point is where the linkage attaches to the bottom of the shifter unless the pivot point is moved up. I ended up elongating the holes in the top of the trans mount where it bolts to the trans to allow the trans to actually sit 3/8" lower which opened up the clearance nicely. Hope this helps.

Way too many mods and way too much money. Wouldn't have it any other way.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
mp51998

Thx for the link. It was very informative and gives me a good idea where to start looking.

Mike
Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
Thx for the link. It was very informative and gives me a good idea where to start looking.

Mike
Did you find the problem?

Old 04-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
mp51998

No. Took it back to original installer. He read your post and watched vids in link. Tried to move it like you suggested with little to no change. Unfortunately its the wifes car so I dropped her(car) off at the dealer this morning to see what they could find.
I had jacked her up last night and the wife shifted into reverse while I watched/felt the linkage. I don't see/feel any binding or close tolarences. Makes a creaking groaning sound right where linkage connects to transmission. I'm hoping if its damage to the tranny I can get by under warranty. I cant see that it is the clutch causing this issue. Even tech agreed if it was clutch it would probably be affecting forward gears also. Hope to hear something later this afternoon.
BTW is the linkage arm from the top of tranny to bottom of shifter supposed to be completely straight or have some curve in it. Mine appears to have some curve in it from what I could see. I did not remove the linkage since I was on jackstands and it was getting late. I'll keep ya'll posted

Mike
Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
mp51998

Update

Ok just went to dealership because I had not heard anything. Service advisor had wrong phone number. He told me that the linkage was bent. Took me back to tech and he told me same thing. Said they ordered the whole linkage assembly including the noise dampners. Won't be here for two days. Best news is they have covered it under warranty Wife is super happy. Told her be happy but let's wait till we have car back. So sounds like a happy ending. Just have to wait a few days

BTW super customer service by this dealership. Other than the wrong number my advisor was very attentive and did not seem to have problems with the current mods. Actually enjoyed seeing what we had done.

Mike
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Glad to hear everything is working out.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
mp51998

Well here I sit in my garage with my wife's 'fixed' Camaro. Took it to the dealer on Wednesday and they said the linkage was bent and ordered a new assembly. Told us it would take two days to get here. Went earlier this afternoon to see status of car. We were told part came this morning and they would pull out a car that wasn't due till next week and get ours done. Turns out my wife used to work the the guy that is the service manager. Sweet we thought. She got the car back at 4:55. They close at 5:00. The tech said he had trouble getting the front pins out because it was bent so bad. Said he had to remove the top plate on tranny to remove shifter assembly She drove the car around the lot to make sure it was good and all appeared better. I think the reverse is still hard to get into. It definitely is nowhere as easy to shift into reverse as mine. We left and went about half a mile down the road. Made the U-trun to get on highway. I was following in my car. After she went up the on ramp she got on it a little and then immediately put on flashers and got off on shoulder. The the car is making a horrible grinding/rattling noise when accelerating. I drove the car home for her since the dealership was closed. Its rattling under hard accretion and if I rev it up with clutch depressed. Almost sounds like heat shield rattling/rubbing. I'm extremely stressed about this since I've been trying to address this since new clutch install about three weeks ago. We are down to one car and I have to go out of town next week all week. Getting under car now to see what I can see but don't have high hopes. Going back to dealership Monday Any ideas where to look. I'm hoping nothing internal was damaged with all the lowering and hanging down of the tranny. It was not making this noise prior to trip to dealership. Dealership did not remove transmission to the best of my knowledge. There really ws no need. All forward gears are working fine. Just noisy.

Mike
Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Reverse has always been a bit tougher on my car than all the gears since I installed my Hurst 2 years ago.

Just sent... don't want to offend anyone.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
mp51998

I figured it may be stiffer than mine cuz its new. I remember having a hard time getting reverse when we first got the cars. Its definitely not as bad as it was prior to visit to dealership. Just now have this horrible racket coming from it.

Mike
Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
chriSStine

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS 6M
Help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have had a "broken" car for 3 weeks now. My husband has to leave town Monday morning, and my daughter and I are now at the dealerships mercy. We will be without a vehicle, this is also my daily driver. It's not the stiff shifting that bothers me, it's the noise and vibrations that you can feel through the floor board that bothers me. Something's still wrong, and the smell coming from the engine bay into the interior definitely sets off an alarm bell for me.
chriSStine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriSStine View Post
Help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have had a "broken" car for 3 weeks now. My husband has to leave town Monday morning, and my daughter and I are now at the dealerships mercy. We will be without a vehicle, this is also my daily driver. It's not the stiff shifting that bothers me, it's the noise and vibrations that you can feel through the floor board that bothers me. Something's still wrong, and the smell coming from the engine bay into the interior definitely sets off an alarm bell for me.
broken puck on the clutch plate
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
mp51998

Clutch has about 700-800 miles on it. Do you really think its broken puck already? As I said since the install the tranny has not been removed to diagnose the hard shifting issue. Its only been lowered at the brace. There have been no hard launches only normal daily driving. I would pull it down myself but don't really have the tools needed so now I'm at the mercy of the dealership.

Mike
Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
mp51998

Update: Finished

Well I just wanted to give an update. We left off with my wife getting car back from dealer in worse shape than when we took it to them. After being at the dealer for four days the tech asked if I had the OEM clutch so he could put it in to see if that solved problem or if the tranny needed to be torn down. I took it to him Thursday afternoon and he did the install late Friday/early Saturday. We took delivery around noon on Saturday. I took it for a test drive and beat on it pretty good just to make sure the noise was not hiding under easy driving conditions.. Sounded good. She drove as well and approved of repair. Tech had gone home so I was not able to see what he had possibly done other than the clutch swap back to OEM. We were very surprised to find a $600 dollar bill for the clutch install. We were told that we requested to have the clutch put in. Nobody of any importance was available to argue the point so I paid bill and took our car. It was still stiff shifting into reverse even after the dealer replaced the shifter linkage. Wife was complaining a little about that and I reminded her that she signed off on that repair when we initially got the car the previous weekend. She drove the car all week and on Friday told me her skip shift eliminator was not working. I figure it burnt out somehow but thought I'd take a quick look to make sure it was plugged in tight. What a surprise I had to discover the SSE was not plugged in where it should be but into the reverse sensor. I plugged it in and lo and behold reverse was now smooth as butter. I don't know who I am more mad at. Myself for not checking it sooner or the original guy who did the clutch install and put it back wrong or the dealer for not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground. Sorta can't blame them since they really only know OEM equipment but to think the linkage was replaced and it was still hard to shift into reverse. Wouldn't you have dug deeper and maybe compared the wiring to another vehicle if something did not appear correct. Now the original clutch installer is the real reason that we had to go thru all of this and spend all the money we did just to end up at the place we started. If he had only marked the wiring and plugged everything back as it came to him we would have been good and wife would have learned to drive with the clutch we installed. Of course, I am ultimately to blame for not looking harder into it and checking. Everything I have read indicates you can not shift into reverse if SSE is plugged into the wrong place. Well I'm here to tell you that you can shift into reverse if it is plugged in wrong. It isn't easy but it certainly can be done.
So long story short, double check your SSE if you have recently had tranny work and are having a hard time shifting into reverse. Thx for reading and thx for trying to help us figure this out. Still selling clutch. Its on the Members for sale thread if anyone is interested.

Mike