Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Pollock
LS3 M6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
clutch swap at home with no car lift

Can I change my clutch my self at home. I am not sure how to get the car high enough in the air to get it done. Was thinking of jacking the car up and setting the tires on good solid homemade blocks of wood. I could go as high as my Jack lets me. Any other ideas.

That is how I did my can swap but only had to go 6inches or so under the tire.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
When I did my header install I got the car up about 28" from the concrete to the bottom of the rocker panel, that was enough for the headers, if you take a tape measure and go from the top of the bellhousing to the bottom of the transmission and add a few inches for room to work...guessing about 2 feet from floor to rocker panel should be pretty close
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, JRE 4.11 Gears, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, DSS 1000HP alxes, DSS aluminum DS, ZL1 fuel pump, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA 577RWHP
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
I dont recommend it. its a bitch getting the trans in and out on the floor. the trans has to be rotated sideways to get it in and out. if your installing a twin disc clutch you better use a lift.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
1stGM

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS M6
I did my twin disc at home, on stands, with a trans jack all by my lonesome.... Quite possibly the hardest thing I have ever done with a car.... and Im no stranger to working on cars....Use a lift or anti up and pay someone to swap it.....
Old 04-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
The 2010 Sin
CorkTulsa.com

Drives: 2010 2SS BLK, 2013 2SS CRT
This is a good topic and a good question. Good advice from all. It is probably the single hardest installs to do on jackstands. Having a lift is almost a must for this type of job. :-)
Old 04-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Pollock
LS3 M6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I have pulled several trannys on other cars. So I know what a PAIN it is. People want 500 bucks in labor to do it and I hate trusting other people to wrench on my cars.

How do you get the shifter disconnected inside the car. Does the console snap in and out. I am to understand the shifter will pull out since it has a slip interference type of fit.

Why would you need to twist the tranny to get it out? is there a clearance issue.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
blake-b

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGM View Post
I did my twin disc at home, on stands, with a trans jack all by my lonesome.... Quite possibly the hardest thing I have ever done with a car.... and Im no stranger to working on cars....Use a lift or anti up and pay someone to swap it.....
AMEN to that. I completely agree. Also did mine on jackstands. I went and bought some 6 ton each ones to get the car higher. I used a transmission jack and a floor jack to get the angle with the engine correct. Mine was a twin disk also.
blake-b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
I have pulled several trannys on other cars. So I know what a PAIN it is. People want 500 bucks in labor to do it and I hate trusting other people to wrench on my cars.

How do you get the shifter disconnected inside the car. Does the console snap in and out. I am to understand the shifter will pull out since it has a slip interference type of fit.

Why would you need to twist the tranny to get it out? is there a clearance issue.
Do a search on a shifter install. There's a number of videos that show how to remove the shifter. I think this is the least of your worries! Amen to trusting others with your car. Are you friends with any mechanics that will let you bring the car in after hours to wrench on it?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Yes you can do it and yes it can be a pain in the !@#. The hardest part for me was getting the transmission properly aligned to mate it to the back of the engine though that was probably related to the cheap harbor freight transmission jack. So the quick down and dirty on how to get it high enough was homemade cribbing blocks. I followed this pattern and they worked great. I think I spent about $50 on lumber, screws, and construction adhesive (if I'm crawling under it, I don't want it coming down). I spent another $70 on the cheap transmission jackunder the wheels from Harbor Freight. Now getting the car high enough in the air to get the double stack required either putting the jack on some steel plate with some 4x4's underneath or a creative raised jacking puck. Perhaps your floor jack has a higher lift height than mine to avoid that pain. Bottom line, you can very much do this in your garage without a lift. The lift would have been much easier but I don't have one and I am not paying labor on something I can do myself. Something about building/repairing your car that makes driving it and sharing experiences with other gearheads more enjoyable. How much fun is it to tell the guy next to you in the paddock that "I paid sos and so shop to build my car". hmmmmm...

Oh, and it was a twin disc clutch swap as well. Wasn't any harder than any other clutch.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/wood-block.htm

The Workhorse: 2006 Silverado CCSB, EFI Live, MBRP/Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, Edge Insight CTS
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Did mine at home on stands as well. For the height I got the drive up ramps and screwed them to two 2 x 12s, another 4" and jack stands for the rear. With a regular floor jack the hard part was getting the lft pad in a good spot under the tanny for maneuvering it and then getting it up and over the cooler lines while pumping the jack handle with my leg. Should have videod that, haha.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
sting808

Drives: 4 wheels
Yep. Pain in the @$$. Race ramp 67" on front, 6-ton truck jack stands on rear cradle mount.

I used a motorcycle lift/jack with 2x4s and 2x6s to cradle tranny. SLP ZR1 dual disc. Needed to replace leaking rear main cover gasket and seal as the primary reason to pull trans. Figured WTH, change clutch same time.

Later, used same jack to lower and pull rear cradle. Craftsmen Pro aluminum motorcycle/ATV jack paid for itself.

Pump jack with leg...hmmmm sounds familiar. Luckily, I read somewhere about twisting trans to pull out. Glad i pulled headers just in case.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post

Getting it out is easy its getting it back in with the twin disk thats hard. its a tight fit in the tunnel thats why you need to twist it sideways going in.
I've done this on my lift at least 6 times already. I'm not saying you can't do it on the floor i'm just saying its going to be a pain. good luck
Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I do clutch installs all the time on my back. No transmission jack I just bench press the transmission up there.

The autos are a different story, I use my regular jack with a metal plate on it for those.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote