Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,431
Space Shuttle Discovery becomes Smithsonian property on April 19th

Today at 11 AM, Space Shuttle Discovery ended its final flight.

On April 19th at noon, NASA will formally sign Space Shuttle Discovery over to the Smithsonian. Discovery will replace Enterprise, which was a Space Shuttle test vehicle that never made it to space. Enterprise has been in the museum since 1985.






Space Shuttle Enterprise..
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro



 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 51,768
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,246
__________________
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
popeye705
 
Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2LT RS/ 03 Protege
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 49
my cousin was there on the tarmac getting to see it land. she sent me some photos. Woulda been really cool to see it flying so low
popeye705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye705 View Post
my cousin was there on the tarmac getting to see it land. she sent me some photos. Woulda been really cool to see it flying so low
Would you mind posting them?
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
xVengeancex28


 
xVengeancex28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 10,425
__________________
Click Sig For Graphics Page On Facebook
xVengeancex28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....
 
Ladybugsmom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 6,571
Every time I read or hear news about the shuttles' final destinations, I just get ticked off. The Museum of Flight in Seattle got passed over for one, and it already had the space for it, and it's located RIGHT next to the runway at Boeing field, making delivery to the museum a piece of cake.
I agree that Discovery, being the first shuttle in space, should be at the Smithsonian. But New York City is getting one, and they don't even have a place to put it!

Sorry for the rant... true blue Seattleite here, feeling snubbed... guess I need to plan a trip to DC now, huh???
__________________
High Heels and Fast Wheels!!
Ladybugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
AZCamaroFan
6 Years on Camaro5
 
AZCamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 16,572
still can't comprehend how a 747 handles that weight.

anyone see the 60 minute's report a couple weeks ago on what's happend to the economy down in Florida around the Cape since the Shuttle program ended?
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Silverlsinva


 
Silverlsinva's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manassas, Va
Posts: 2,648
I watched it fly by my work today that thing was alot bigger than i thought it was.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Inferno Man

 
Inferno Man's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS/RS 2010
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Crab Heaven
Posts: 924
My wife actually saw it during its final flight while she was driving down the highway this morning. No pics because she was driving, but she was very excited!
__________________
Inferno Orange 2SS/RS

2000 4/21/2010
3000 4/28/2010 TPW 5/10/2010
3300 5/5/2010
3400 5/10/2010
3800 5/11/2010
HOME 5/28/2010!!!!!
Inferno Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew
 
mastertypodemon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stafford, VA [Formerly Dallas, TX]
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
Every time I read or hear news about the shuttles' final destinations, I just get ticked off. The Museum of Flight in Seattle got passed over for one, and it already had the space for it, and it's located RIGHT next to the runway at Boeing field, making delivery to the museum a piece of cake.
*cough*houston*cough*
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....
 
Ladybugsmom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 6,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertypodemon View Post
*cough*houston*cough*
Houston SHOULD have one... New York, though????
__________________
High Heels and Fast Wheels!!
Ladybugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
AZCamaroFan
6 Years on Camaro5
 
AZCamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 16,572
Exactly
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Edwin320
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS M6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 483
While I agree that Houston should have one, I believe more people would likely see the Enterprise in New York.
__________________
Ed 2012 2SS RS M6 'Vert
Edwin320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....
 
Ladybugsmom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 6,571
My biggest issue is that part of the criteria in deciding where they went was that they had to have a place READY to display it. The Enterprise will be in a temporary pavilion until the decide how to display it permanently. The criteria were NOT met - and two places that were ready were passed up... It's political, but politics are against the rules, so that's all I have to say about it.
__________________
High Heels and Fast Wheels!!
Ladybugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #16
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
Every time I read or hear news about the shuttles' final destinations, I just get ticked off. The Museum of Flight in Seattle got passed over for one, and it already had the space for it, and it's located RIGHT next to the runway at Boeing field, making delivery to the museum a piece of cake.
I agree that Discovery, being the first shuttle in space, should be at the Smithsonian. But New York City is getting one, and they don't even have a place to put it!

Sorry for the rant... true blue Seattleite here, feeling snubbed... guess I need to plan a trip to DC now, huh???
I agree with you. New York should've never gotten one. They've done nothing to deserve it either. Especially since they don't even have a facility to put it in! These shuttles need special care. They can't just be thrown in a tent.

You won't have to go to DC unless you specifically want to see Discovery. Endeavour is being sent to Los Angeles later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
still can't comprehend how a 747 handles that weight.

anyone see the 60 minute's report a couple weeks ago on what's happend to the economy down in Florida around the Cape since the Shuttle program ended?
It's horrible at the cape. There's so many people unemployed.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew
 
mastertypodemon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stafford, VA [Formerly Dallas, TX]
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
You won't have to go to DC unless you specifically want to see Discovery. Endeavour is being sent to Los Angeles later this year.
That's kinda dumb. The Enterprise was already at the Smithsonian, why send it to New York to just replace it with Discovery? While I still object to New York getting a shuttle, it would make more sense (and be cheaper) to send Discovery to New York.

Easier to deliver too if they just fly the 747 to a pre-determined location, do a barrel roll and detatch the shuttle at the right time, then glide it to a landing on the Intrepid's deck.
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertypodemon View Post
That's kinda dumb. The Enterprise was already at the Smithsonian, why send it to New York to just replace it with Discovery? While I still object to New York getting a shuttle, it would make more sense (and be cheaper) to send Discovery to New York.

Easier to deliver too if they just fly the 747 to a pre-determined location, do a barrel roll and detatch the shuttle at the right time, then glide it to a landing on the Intrepid's deck.
Sending Discovery to New York would be a huge mistake. New York doesn't deserve a shuttle, let alone the shuttle fleet leader.

That would be a good idea if the shuttle could land on such a small amount of asphalt.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew
 
mastertypodemon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stafford, VA [Formerly Dallas, TX]
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Sending Discovery to New York would be a huge mistake. New York doesn't deserve a shuttle, let alone the shuttle fleet leader.

That would be a good idea if the shuttle could land on such a small amount of asphalt.
Well yeah, I said they don't deserve one. But since my opinion and the opinions of millions of people don't matter; it'd save money by not having to move two shuttles when there's already one at the Smithsonian.

As far as stopping, just line the deck with people on both sides and give them all two of these.
Attached Images
 
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertypodemon View Post
Well yeah, I said they don't deserve one. But since my opinion and the opinions of millions of people don't matter; it'd save money by not having to move two shuttles when there's already one at the Smithsonian.

As far as stopping, just line the deck with people on both sides and give them all two of these.
It would be cheaper. But since NASA promised Discovery to the Smithsonian awhile ago, they didn't have much of a choice.

That's great!
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
Tyler360
 
Tyler360's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wittenberg, Wisconsin
Posts: 653
Is there some sort of huge dent in the side? That black circle on the left side of the shuttle...
__________________
Tyler360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #22
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
Is there some sort of huge dent in the side? That black circle on the left side of the shuttle...
Near the tail/stabilizer?
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #23
Tyler360
 
Tyler360's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wittenberg, Wisconsin
Posts: 653
Right below where it says "discovery". They sure do look a lil toasty after they come back to earth lol
__________________
Tyler360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....
 
Ladybugsmom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 6,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I agree with you. New York should've never gotten one. They've done nothing to deserve it either. Especially since they don't even have a facility to put it in! These shuttles need special care. They can't just be thrown in a tent.

You won't have to go to DC unless you specifically want to see Discovery. Endeavour is being sent to Los Angeles later this year.
But it will be a CLIMATE CONTROLLED tent!
If I have to travel to see one, I'll travel to see Discovery. DC has more other things to see as well... LA? Been there, done that.
__________________
High Heels and Fast Wheels!!
Ladybugsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #25
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado
 
Overflow's Avatar
 
Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
Right below where it says "discovery". They sure do look a lil toasty after they come back to earth lol
Oh! No that's just a scar from re-entry.
__________________
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM April 2011 Sales Up 27%, 232,538 Units Sold FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 16 05-05-2011 12:01 PM
On April 19th and 21st, 2011... Steve Dallas Off-topic Discussions 20 04-20-2011 06:21 PM
Camaro5 Fest II Information and Schedule. GTAHVIT 2011 Camaro5 Fest (II) 467 04-18-2011 11:25 PM
TX Caravan to Camaro5Fest chrisgalles USA - Texas 869 05-03-2010 09:01 AM
Great looking weather forecast for Camaro5fest! topgun1 2010 Camaro5 Fest (I) 7 04-09-2010 03:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.