Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
BackinBlack
KASPR

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
What are the upgrade options for the Stock differential?

I'm struggling with what to do about my rear differential. I'm beginning a build with a Whipple, CAI and Headers on a stock LS3 motor, ~600rwhp. Will have the 315 drag radials, Pedder's XA coilovers and subframe/radius bushing inserts, and 32mm rear sway bar, along with BMR Trailer Arms and Toe Links to help with traction/wheel hop.

To be safe I have ordered the 3.5" aluminum driveshaft and 1000hp axles from DSS, but I thought the 9" rear-end would be overkill for a daily driver that only runs a few days each summer at the track.

I'm looking for real experiences of when/what horsepower did your posi let loose, and when did you finally have to replace the rear end? What 'event' killed it? I've always heard that 600rwhp is right on the edge for the stock rear end.

My real dilema is this: When stock posi/differential goes, what option do I have to rebuild it for longevity? I've heard from one shop that another shop's posi-mods are less durable than original stock rear ends, and that the DSS 9" and LPE 9.5" require axles and driveshafts that aren't compatible with the stock rear end, meaning I'm potentially upgrading them once now and again later if I go through with a differential replacement!

Anyone been through this and can share their experience? I'm hoping to learn from your experience and make the right call for myself.

Thanks in advance.
BackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Great question, I am wondering the exact same thing. Can't wait to hear the opinions.
LS3, JRE Smooth Idle cam, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa, MSD Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, DSS 1000hp ds & 1400hp axles, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Spohn lcas, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id850s, Powerhaus Performance tuned.
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
kevin1106

Drives: 2014 3LT-Z51 Vert
I have the 9" and I love it. Little noise at cruzing speed, but its worth it for the strength you get. Don't waste money on other parts for your rear. Just get the 9" kit.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Dump the stock one and invest in a 9". Love mine and indestructible.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlack View Post
I'm struggling with what to do about my rear differential. I'm beginning a build with a Whipple, CAI and Headers on a stock LS3 motor, ~600rwhp. Will have the 315 drag radials, Pedder's XA coilovers and subframe/radius bushing inserts, and 32mm rear sway bar, along with BMR Trailer Arms and Toe Links to help with traction/wheel hop.

To be safe I have ordered the 3.5" aluminum driveshaft and 1000hp axles from DSS, but I thought the 9" rear-end would be overkill for a daily driver that only runs a few days each summer at the track.

I'm looking for real experiences of when/what horsepower did your posi let loose, and when did you finally have to replace the rear end? What 'event' killed it? I've always heard that 600rwhp is right on the edge for the stock rear end.

My real dilema is this: When stock posi/differential goes, what option do I have to rebuild it for longevity? I've heard from one shop that another shop's posi-mods are less durable than original stock rear ends, and that the DSS 9" and LPE 9.5" require axles and driveshafts that aren't compatible with the stock rear end, meaning I'm potentially upgrading them once now and again later if I go through with a differential replacement!

Anyone been through this and can share their experience? I'm hoping to learn from your experience and make the right call for myself.

Thanks in advance.
Check with Ted at Janetty, he has an upgrade kit... Which will help eliminate the one wheel burnouts and I believe it adds quite a bit of strength to the diff as well... It won't be a nine inch but it'll hold more than stock...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
BackinBlack
KASPR

jrpxxii and SSE 4 2SS, you guys are in another league! Of course I can see where you need the 9".

When did yours break? On the drag strip? What power were you running and for how long? I know I can throw several thousand dollars at the problem with the 9"...I'm trying to see what I really need to do...won't see me at the strip as often as you. Thanks for your input.

I'll be talking to JRE tommorrow, didn't answer his phone today. Trouble with talking to a shop is they all want to sell me their set-up, or not install another guy's set-up. That's why I'm asking here.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
jrpxxii and SSE 4 2SS, you guys are in another league! Of course I can see where you need the 9".

When did yours break? On the drag strip? What power were you running and for how long? I know I can throw several thousand dollars at the problem with the 9"...I'm trying to see what I really need to do...won't see me at the strip as often as you. Thanks for your input.

I'll be talking to JRE tommorrow, didn't answer his phone today. Trouble with talking to a shop is they all want to sell me their set-up, or not install another guy's set-up. That's why I'm asking here.
Mine never broke, but I was gentle on it... I gave it to a friend of mine for his wifes GTO...He'll go through it of course, but it was still working...

I drove it down the track a few times more just to get the feel of the car than to set any records...Hardest I ever left the line after the motor build was a 2.55 60 foot, got her into second gear and hammered away second and third, and let off in 4th 100 or so feet from the line... Car went 11.51 at 132... My builder and I are in the process of fabricating in a new first time in this model of car transmission... The stock trans couldn't hang, despite rebuilding/upgrading it four times....

PM on the way...
Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
BackinBlack
KASPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
I have the 9" and I love it. Little noise at cruzing speed, but its worth it for the strength you get. Don't waste money on other parts for your rear. Just get the 9" kit.
Did you have a Maggie setup, over 600rwhp? How much did you lose going to the 9"?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
BackinBlack
KASPR

Just to close out this thread

After talking to few vendors the consensus is that for 600rwhp and any amount of track time the safest option is to replace the rear end with something a lot stronger, like the DSS 9" kit or the LPE 9.5" - even Ted recommened that over the JRE posi mod and rear-end upgrade.

Last edited by BackinBlack; 04-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Just to close out this thread

After talking to few vendors the consensus is that for 600rwhp and any amount of track track the safest option is to replace the rear end with something a lot stronger, like the DSS 9" kit or the LPE 9.5" - even Ted recommened that over the JRE posi mod and rear-end upgrade.
The beauty of this site is that we have Great Vendors that sell great products and offer very good advice...

I'm glad you got some good advice from the vendors... and Honest Appraisals... Good Luck and keep us informed as it progresses...
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
2295 rear end upgrade +1400 axles+900 driveshaft= $4500+

You might as well do a 9" for anything forced induction that gets driven the way it begs to be driven.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
BackinBlack
KASPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
2295 rear end upgrade +1400 axles+900 driveshaft= $4500+

You might as well do a 9" for anything forced induction that gets driven the way it begs to be driven.
$5K for DSS 9" and to $7K for LPE...add labor...its a big difference...the 'might as well' is around $2500 extra...that would pay for a lot of other mods!

But as they say...you do it right, or you'll do it again...
Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Labor would be about the same, its all the same actions for swapping axles, d/s, and pumpkin for the work.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
$5K for DSS 9" and to $7K for LPE...add labor...its a big difference...the 'might as well' is around $2500 extra...that would pay for a lot of other mods!

But as they say...you do it right, or you'll do it again...
I can tell you one thing...and that is that if you are going to upgrade to a 9" unit then buy it from Frank at DSS or one of his dealers. Frank is probably one of the best vendors this site could possibly have and he stands behind his products, is extremely helpful and is simply world class.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #15
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
My stock posi started to pop after these runs.

Diff and axle let go next time at the track about 3 months later.

I have a bunch of stock parts laying around so I am going to go through those before I consider a 9" upgrade. I think I just had a weak posi to begin with, since other people have hundreds of runs on theirs. It's all in how you launch the car and I got a little too aggressive the last few times at the track. I would say that in the year (13,000 miles) I have had Ginger I might have gone to the track 6 times for a total of maybe 25 runs. Currently I am at 426 rwhp.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #16
mst504

Drives: 2010 Orange SS L99 HPE Supercharged
You could go for the DSS 12bolt.
mst504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
BackinBlack
KASPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
I can tell you one thing...and that is that if you are going to upgrade to a 9" unit then buy it from Frank at DSS or one of his dealers. Frank is probably one of the best vendors this site could possibly have and he stands behind his products, is extremely helpful and is simply world class.
Bill, allow me to say congrats. Nice car on the cover of CamaroNow, don'tcha think? Your car was actually the one that got me to take the leap on supercharging. Love the way the Whipple looked in the engine bay after the coil relocation.

I'm heeding your advice. I plan to have Livernois do all my work when possible and I've spoken to Frank directly about the 9", and Thomas about the Twin Carbon Street Slayer.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
BackinBlack
KASPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst504 View Post
You could go for the DSS 12bolt.
I tried waiting on it but I'm committed to the DSS 9" now. I'm sure I'll be happy with it.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
If you are getting into a 9 inch setup don't forget to check out Gforce engineering as an option. They have handled the GTO market well and now have a great handle on the 5th gen. Just got mine in the car with the new style 1 pc driveshaft and all I can say is WOW! Super smooth and no noise!
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote