Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Bobk

Drives: 2012 V6 RS
Porter Cable 7424 / what's everyone using?

Bit the bullet and bought one off Amazon for $89.00 (thanks to someone on the forum pointing out a sale price) So my question is whats everyone using for pads, backing plates, and brands of polish, glaze, etc. to go along with them, OTHER than the Adams products. Nothing against Adams but I've already gained enough information about their products to know they're high quality. I'd just like to know what other people are using so I can have more options on which direction I want to go.
Please jump in and let me know.
Bobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
I just got mine and bought some Blackfire products and Meguires 105 and 205. I am about to order the backing plate and pads as well.
2011 L99 W/ Kooks Long Tubes, Ported TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Apex Catch can, Stainless Works 3" ZL-1 Catback, Overdriven Maggie @10 Pounds boost putting down 501/535 on a conservative tune. Oh and Forgestar 20's
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Rcfiddy1

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Since you want Other advice I can't help. I use Adams. 3 years now.
ECS Paxton Novi 1500 Blower Black, Alky Control Meth Injection, LS3 conversion, ECS Blower cam, Trunion upgrade, Vigilante 2800 stall, BMR suspension parts, 3.45 rear, Stainless Works LT headers, BnB fusion ZL1 exhaust, Ridetech Coilovers.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
Here are the products i have had success with:

Lake country pads.

Glazes: Meguiars 7, Poorboys black hole. I only use glazes on my older car that is a garage queen.

For polishing 3m polishes and compounds, Meguairs 105/205.

Waxes and sealants, Dodo Juice wax and their red mist detailer, Meguiars 21 sealant, Meg's 26 wax.

This weekend I am trying out Chemical Guys Blacklight and their V07 detailer/ sealant.
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
cam fan

Drives: fast
I have received advice on using uber pads and meg 105/205

I have not used these though
Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Wait a minute...are there other products, other than Adams?? No way...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
RetPig

Drives: 2012 1LT RS, Inferno Orange Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
RetPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobk View Post
Bit the bullet and bought one off Amazon for $89.00 (thanks to someone on the forum pointing out a sale price) So my question is whats everyone using for pads, backing plates, and brands of polish, glaze, etc. to go along with them, OTHER than the Adams products. Nothing against Adams but I've already gained enough information about their products to know they're high quality. I'd just like to know what other people are using so I can have more options on which direction I want to go.
Please jump in and let me know.
The first thing you will need is a backing plate. The Porter Cable 7242 XP usually comes with a white foam pad that is attached (glued on) to an backing plate.
When it comes to picking a backing plate, you want to marry the backing plate size to the size of the polishing pads you are using.

Which brings us to the next point, pad size. Larger pads will cover more surface area and increase the saftey margin, but they will decrease the amount of pad rotation (and thus polishing power). Most users feel comfortable using a 5 inch backing plate with 5.5 inch pads (other options are 6.5 inch pads with a 6 inch backing plate or 4 inch pads with a 3.5 inch backing plate).

As far as pad colors, we carry the complete line of Lake Country pads. In general, as a beginner you will need several of each, and several colors of each type. I would personally recommend the 5.5 inch Lake Country HydroTech pads. These come in three colors, Cyan (light blue) for heavy polishing, Tangerine (pale orange) for light polishing, and Crimson (red) for final polishing or wax application. Mate these to a 5 inch Lake Country backing plate for best results.

Generally you will need 2 to 4 pads of each color. As the pads become contaminated and saturated with product you will notice a significant decrease in their ability to polish paint.

As far as the best polishes, this is a matter of opinion, of course. Menzerna Polishes are generally considered the very best by high end enthusiasts and professional detailers, particularly when it comes to their ability to create a flawelss finish with out the use of filling agents.

I would recommend teaming Menzerna SI1500 with the Cyan pad for medium polishing (swirl remover) and Menzerna SF4500 with the Tangerine pad for final polish (polishing the surface to an extremely high finish).

So the products I would recommend (Camaro5 prevents linking).

Lake Country 5 inch backing plate for DA polishers.
2 x Lake Country 5.5 inch Cyan Hydro Tech Pads
2 x Lake Country 5.5 inch Tangerine Polishing Pads
1 x Lake Country 5.5 inch Crimson Finishing/Waxing Pad
Menzerna SI (Super Intensive) 1500 Polish or BLACKFIRE SCR Compound
Menzerna SF (Super Finish) 4500 Finishing Polish or BLACKFIRE SCR Finishing Polish

This is going to give you a huge advantage in quality materials to get the job done correctly!

There is no need use a glaze in this case, because the correction you will be achieving from the Menzerna polish is true and accurate. Glazes are designed to fill in imperfections that polishes leave behind (usually).

Remember if you order from Autopia-CarCare.com to include "Camaro5" in the coupon code section and we will take 10% off of your order.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
Lies... filthy horrible lies!
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
There are products other then Adams but don't mean you got to use them. Adams FTW!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Bobk

Drives: 2012 V6 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
The first thing you will need is a backing plate. The Porter Cable 7242 XP usually comes with a white foam pad that is attached (glued on) to an backing plate.
When it comes to picking a backing plate, you want to marry the backing plate size to the size of the polishing pads you are using.

Which brings us to the next point, pad size. Larger pads will cover more surface area and increase the saftey margin, but they will decrease the amount of pad rotation (and thus polishing power). Most users feel comfortable using a 5 inch backing plate with 5.5 inch pads (other options are 6.5 inch pads with a 6 inch backing plate or 4 inch pads with a 3.5 inch backing plate).

As far as pad colors, we carry the complete line of Lake Country pads. In general, as a beginner you will need several of each, and several colors of each type. I would personally recommend the 5.5 inch Lake Country HydroTech pads. These come in three colors, Cyan (light blue) for heavy polishing, Tangerine (pale orange) for light polishing, and Crimson (red) for final polishing or wax application. Mate these to a 5 inch Lake Country backing plate for best results.

Generally you will need 2 to 4 pads of each color. As the pads become contaminated and saturated with product you will notice a significant decrease in their ability to polish paint.

As far as the best polishes, this is a matter of opinion, of course. Menzerna Polishes are generally considered the very best by high end enthusiasts and professional detailers, particularly when it comes to their ability to create a flawelss finish with out the use of filling agents.

I would recommend teaming Menzerna SI1500 with the Cyan pad for medium polishing (swirl remover) and Menzerna SF4500 with the Tangerine pad for final polish (polishing the surface to an extremely high finish).

So the products I would recommend (Camaro5 prevents linking).

Lake Country 5 inch backing plate for DA polishers.
2 x Lake Country 5.5 inch Cyan Hydro Tech Pads
2 x Lake Country 5.5 inch Tangerine Polishing Pads
1 x Lake Country 5.5 inch Crimson Finishing/Waxing Pad
Menzerna SI (Super Intensive) 1500 Polish or BLACKFIRE SCR Compound
Menzerna SF (Super Finish) 4500 Finishing Polish or BLACKFIRE SCR Finishing Polish

This is going to give you a huge advantage in quality materials to get the job done correctly!

There is no need use a glaze in this case, because the correction you will be achieving from the Menzerna polish is true and accurate. Glazes are designed to fill in imperfections that polishes leave behind (usually).

Remember if you order from Autopia-CarCare.com to include "Camaro5" in the coupon code section and we will take 10% off of your order.
Thank you for the very informative post and thanks to the other posters who answered as I asked by not recommending Adams. No hard feelings to the posters who had to throw in another plug for their favorite brand (Adams I believe) I'm sure it was good natured but there are other products out there and it would be nice to be able to ask for some input from others without constantly hearing about Adams, especially when I already know that everyone that uses their products love them.
I know there must be numerous Camaro owners that use off the shelf items and are happy with their results. Not everyone is looking to keep their cars in museum condition, it would be nice but in my case it's just not giong to happen.
Okay, that being said, I'll be waiting for someone to tell me to try the Adams products so you may as well post now and get it over with, lol. Now before everyone takes my post the wrong way, I never said I wasn't going to try Adams products, I just want honest opinions from people who use other brands.

Last edited by Bobk; 04-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Bobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
I have used Meguiars ,Adams,Poorboys and Pinnacle along with the Lake Country pads . I really Like the Poorboys SSR series which is their swirl removers as well as the QD(quick Detail ) . All the products are very user friendly as well with your PC . I buy 3 pads , Swirl Pad , Polish and a wax . I am not showing my car but I do get show car results with the products listed and I am somewhat Anal as I own 3 black vehicles !
2010 Black 2SS/LS3/M6 Kooks 1 7/8 Ceramic Coated Headers, Borla ATAK CB , JRE Tune , Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI ,VMax Ported TB, PFADT Coilovers,Forgestar CF5's Textured Gunmetal w/Nitto Invo's 275/315 ,Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter AAC P13W Plasma LEDw/DRL Harness ,30% Tinting,
fargomike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Its always good to get a feel for whats out there for sure and you are right... we are not the only game in town by a long shot. Part of the fun of detailing if you do it as a hobby is trying a bunch of stuff... part of what I love about my job is I have an excuse to play with all kinds of products in addition to ours.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Its always good to get a feel for whats out there for sure and you are right... we are not the only game in town by a long shot. Part of the fun of detailing if you do it as a hobby is trying a bunch of stuff... part of what I love about my job is I have an excuse to play with all kinds of products in addition to ours.

"Part of the fun of detailing if you do it as a hobby is trying a bunch of stuff..."

2010 Black 2SS/LS3/M6 Kooks 1 7/8 Ceramic Coated Headers, Borla ATAK CB , JRE Tune , Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI ,VMax Ported TB, PFADT Coilovers,Forgestar CF5's Textured Gunmetal w/Nitto Invo's 275/315 ,Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter AAC P13W Plasma LEDw/DRL Harness ,30% Tinting,
fargomike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
I like the fact that Adam's has a very broad range of products and that they are all designed to work together. If I was to mix and match different products I would wonder if there was going to be a possible problem/conflict.

The value of Adam's (and Junkman's) videos can not be overstated. I don't do this for a living and really need "handholding". These videos are just the ticket.

Also - and this is what really sold me - Dylan's presence here on this forum (not too mention the fantastic adamsforum.com). If you have ANY questions I can't imagine you'd ever have to wait more than a few hours for an answer. And since you're using products all from them you'll never get a "finger pointing" answer.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Everything that Todd has mention is spot on, but for me I like using the 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads. I had 3 machines and they all get they use around vehicles.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
Todd@Autopia

Ultimately when it comes to picking detailing supplies there are no right or wrong answers. Arguing about car care brands can become as passionate as arguing about politics or religion.

At Autopia we sell over 60 brands of car care products because our customers all have their favorites. I would always caution somebody about becoming locked into something and proclaiming its the best when the reality is it is simply better than what they may have used before (or what they have used before they were using incorrectly).

Ultimately many of the brands we sell are considered premium brands, brands like Pinnacle, BLACKFIRE, Wolfgang, Dodo Juice, Ultima, Sonus, P21s, and many many many more. There is another subset of detailing enthusiasts, who tend to hang out on detailing-centric forums, just like Camaro guys hang out on Camaro5, and this can be a great place to find out what the most popular brands (that deliver the highest potential of results are). We test everything we sell at Autopia-CarCare and you will find the brands most commonly discussed in our store.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #18
Stealth6
IN OMNIA PARATVS

Drives: 2011 BLK 2SS/RS LS3
Todd, do you also have Zymol products?
Stealth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #19
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
I use the Chemical Guys products with my PC

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth6 View Post
Todd, do you also have Zymol products?
PBMG, the owner of Autopia Car Care used to be a huge Zymol retailer in the early part of this century (I've always wanted to say that). Today we offer premium carnuaba waxes from Dodo Juice, Pinnacle (one of the top names in carnauba car care), BLACKFIRE, Wolfgang, and Chemical Guys. The brands and waxes we sell are extremely diverse and IMO, the performance is as good as anything on the market, often for $100s-$1000s less.

If you love premium carnauba waxes, try Dodo Juice Super Natural. At almost $200 its not cheap, but it has been interdependently compared too (and often favorably against) waxes costing 10-20x as much.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
I use the Chemical Guys products with my PC
Chemical Guys make great products. We sell a huge selection of their products at Autopia-CarCare.com!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
I used Chemical Guys Blacklight topped with V07 on my daughter's Nitro yesterday.

Applied with a PC. Very easy to remove.

The cure time of the Blacklight made for a quick job...

David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote