Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
collins8

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Mods are complete. Opinion and numbers

I have finished my Mods on my 2013 ZL1, manual tranny. I thought I would share my thoughts on my build.
Here is my list of Mods and opinions:
ID 850s, A must and the tuners love them because they are precise pieces.

Rotofab CAI, Got to have a CAI, and this is a very good piece.

Lingenfelter twin fan HX, nice piece, and instructions are great. The two stage fans work great and definitely helps keep IATs down. Another benefit is in traffic it helps keep AC cold.

D3 Coolant reservoir, A must to keep air out of the system. Makes filling the system easy. Not enough volume to keep IAT's down on a WOT burst. Quality is good, My first one leaked but D3 worked with me to correct issue.

Ported LS7 Tony Mamo throttle body. I would not do this Mod again. Waste of money in my opinion. I think a ported LSA would be just as good.

Dedicated Motorsports fuel pump Kit, a Must when making power. Easy install and provides the extra fuel needed. The most cost effective way to get fuel at this time.

Dedicated Motorsports Ethanol sensor kit, a must. These cars love Ethanol.

Kooks 1 7/8 long tubes. A must and easier to install than 2". I am not running cats and the car was loud!!! I found a great fix for this. Solo performance Mach X muffler. This is the same muffler used on the regular camaro kit. I had to reroute rear differential cooling lines to get a good fit but this piece makes the car dead quiet. My tuner was shocked how quiet the car is, and it does not hold back power. My tuner thought it would but the proof was in the dyno runs. If you want to make your car a sleeper, this muffler is the way to go. It has a nice quiet deep tone!

BTR stage 1 cam kit and springs. Perfect Cam for me, yes there is some power left behind but this cam makes the car drive like a dream.

BTR ported LSA heads, during my build I did some before and after dyno runs, and after head swap the car picked up 50hp. This was the best bang for the buck mod I did with the combo I am running hands down!! I see know reason spending an extra $2K for TFS heads when Brians heads pick you up 50HP and you have a reliable set of factory heads.

Lingenfelter ATI damoer kit with, 9.55 Lower and I am running stock upper for Belt wrap. Car makes 12.5 to 13.0 psi of boost, and I am still in the safe range of the blower and IAT's are not crazy hot.

TUNER, James Short, Great guy, and he can tune a car. Takes the time to dial it in perfectly! My driveability is perfect! The day before my tune he spent 12 hours on another ZL1 to get it perfect. My tune took about 7 hours and he got it perfect. When we switched to E-85, WOW. The car loves it and the engine runs so much smoother. In the attached graph the 93 octane tune is the 598 RWHP and the other runs are E-85. Remember this is a low reading load absorbing Dyno and on a dynojet the numbers would be more. These tunes are very conservative with REV limiter set at 6500RPM.
Attached Images

collins8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
mikey1107

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Very nice

2012 Ashen Gray ZL1 M6 #574
2012 AGM ZL1 M6 #574

2010 SW 1SS/RS-SOLD
mikey1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
ClarityCamaro

Drives: 2013 black zl1
Great numbers 680 rwhp on e85? Not bad at all. Did you get a tune for both regular pump gas and e85? I was thinking of transitioning to e85 on my Z but I'm not sure what all it takes. Also why does e85 make that much more horsepower if you were running the same amount of boost on both Runs at 13 psi. Just wondering how it picked up 100 more hp with just changing to e85
ClarityCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
collins8

All you have to do is add this.
https://www.dedicatedmotorsports.com...t-p/zl1ffk.htm

Got to have enough pump and injector left because ethanol requires 30% more fuel, and Have a tuner that can unlock the tables and knows how to tune for E-85. The reason for the power gains is because ethanol is more of a controlled burn fuel, it is very resistant to pre-ignition detonation and has great cooling properties. So the tuner can advance timing and you ignite the fuel / air mixture earlier which allow you to extract more energy out of the power stroke and less energy is wasted in the exhaust. This my way of thinking....
Old 06-25-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
GODZL1A

Drives: 2015 ZL1
How loud is the Dedicated Motorsports fuel pump Kit?

David
GODZL1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
collins8

When the ECU is pulsed, you can hear the pump run to prime itself and recirc fuel. So when you open the car doors you hear it, not real loud but you know what it is. When car is running you never hear it
Old 06-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by collins8 View Post

Got to have enough pump and injector left because ethanol requires 30% more fuel, and Have a tuner that can unlock the tables and knows how to tune for E-85. The reason for the power gains is because ethanol is more of a controlled burn fuel, it is very resistant to pre-ignition detonation and has great cooling properties. So the tuner can advance timing and you ignite the fuel / air mixture earlier which allow you to extract more energy out of the power stroke and less energy is wasted in the exhaust. This my way of thinking....
How do you transition between fuels? Switch tunes?
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
^^^^ It's a flex fuel sensor. You "enable" it in the ECM so it automatically calculates the fueling and spark based on the ethanol content picked up from the sensor.

OP - Nice numbers. How much did BTR charge for the head porting and what was the lead time?
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
GODZL1A

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
When the ECU is pulsed, you can hear the pump run to prime itself and recirc fuel. So when you open the car doors you hear it, not real loud but you know what it is. When car is running you never hear it
Ok cool thank you
GODZL1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #10
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
^^^^ It's a flex fuel sensor. You "enable" it in the ECM so it automatically calculates the fueling and spark based on the ethanol content picked up from the sensor.

OP - Nice numbers. How much did BTR charge for the head porting and what was the lead time?
Ok thanks, there is actually alot of e85 around where I live. Gonna have to look into this.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #11
ram360

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

the id850s are enough injector with the e85?
ram360 is offline   Reply With Quote