Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
NVRL8 ZL1
W8NN4U

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
There's good news and bad news

The bad news first. I sold the Z last week. We were thinking of getting a ragtop since last summer, and we couldn't afford another vehicle, so it had to go...

the good news...

We got another ZL1! I couldn't go without that power in my life, and we couldn't afford a C63, so we traded for a '13 ragtop.

As timing is everything, I already had headers/catch can/big gulp for my car and the appointment was already booked for the work I didn't want to do myself, so everything is done. Love the new noises the car makes with the Dynatechs, and it pulls harder off the line. Now to get rid of the Goodyears....
NVRL8 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Vert/G7C
Love it! What windscreen is that you are using?

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
NVRL8 ZL1
W8NN4U

It was already on the car, I have no idea what brand it is. It does work good, and folds down is 2 sec, pops out in not much longer. It does say Camaro in the bottom corner, would GM have offered it as an option? I have a list of the RPO codes for the car at home, I'll check if it's on there.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
NVRL8 ZL1
W8NN4U

I do have a question for the other ragtop owners out there. What's the speed limit on the tonneau cover? Has anyone had issues with the cover not installed and getting up to speed? Not that I plan on exceeding posted speed limits or anything, it's just ....well I'm lying, that exactly what I plan on doing...
Old 05-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
hawk02
Convertible Three-peat

Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRL8 ZL1 View Post
I do have a question for the other ragtop owners out there. What's the speed limit on the tonneau cover? Has anyone had issues with the cover not installed and getting up to speed? Not that I plan on exceeding posted speed limits or anything, it's just ....well I'm lying, that exactly what I plan on doing...
Welcome to the "drop top" crowd. Nothing beats driving with the top down on a warm summer evening blasting your favorite tunes on the radio. Pure joy!

As far as the tonneau cover and speed, I personally don't trust it to remain on the car much above 75 mph. Weather conditions will play an important role as to how fast you can go and still keep the cover attached. If it's particularly windy outside and I'm driving into the wind, my cover will start to flap up and down at around 70 mph. As a precaution, I always lay a folded towel over the top before I put the cover on. This not only helps prevent rub marks from the cover moving around but it also adds some thickness so the cover fits a little more snug around the edges of the well. If you know you're going to be driving at speeds higher than 75 (legally of course), my recommendation is to do it with the top up.

Last edited by hawk02; 05-25-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: grammar
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
DeSH

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 A6 #4801
So tell us the pros/cons you've noticed between the ragtop and coupe so far...
Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Just this past Sunday I got up to 140mph coming down the Galveston Causeway Bridge. There was a pretty decent north wind too, but I did not experience any issues with my cover. Pretty much stayed above 90mph the whole way to the Nasa Road exit. Got to Bombshells and put the convertible top back up.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
NVRL8 ZL1
W8NN4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSH View Post
So tell us the pros/cons you've noticed between the ragtop and coupe so far...
We also switched from a M6 to the A6, so that's a another thing. The biggest thing, weight. The drop top feels a little tippy (is that a word?) in the corners, even in competitive mode, you can feel the difference. For a 4000 lbs car, the coupe just felt more nimble.
The second thing is brute force, with the M6, hold 2nd up to 3500rpm, drop the hammer and your pinned to the seat. With this one, not so much. I think it's combination of the weight, torque convertor slippage and the 3:23 gears. Nothing a gear change and a pulley can't bring back around.
The best way to sum it would be the coupe is a muscle car, the rag top is your dad's muscle car.

Going down the main drag in Kelowna a couple of summers ago with the M6, I was ready to blow my brains out, clutch, 1st, 2nd, stop, repeat. never over 20 mph. this one will be much better for cruising around in. The closest road course is 6 hours away, and I've never drag raced a manual, so the coupe was just a cruiser as well, this one will be easier all around.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
NVRL8 ZL1
W8NN4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Love it! What windscreen is that you are using?
I found the one I have in the car here...

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/exteri...688-p-929.html

It comes apart into two pieces and folds into a small carry bag similar to the tonneau cover case.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #10
myred09

Drives: 2013 summit white zl1
congratulation. Thats a good looking car.
myred09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
I found the one I have in the car here...

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/exteri...688-p-929.html

It comes apart into two pieces and folds into a small carry bag similar to the tonneau cover case.
Thank you for posting the link! How well does it actually work?

Old 05-31-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
NVRL8 ZL1
W8NN4U

It's works well, we had a similar set up on our last rag top, you get a lot less buffeting when you get over 30-40 mph. I've had the car up to 90-ish and it stays rock solid.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Congrats! That is a very nice looking convertible.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote