Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
IneedAZ

Drives: not enough power
Anyone tried these Microfibers?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...o?code=FROOGLE

When replying, notice the the purpose of the different towels as not to generalize the brand.

thanks
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, Throttle Contoller, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Koni str.t, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Michelin PSS tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, JacFab 3/4" intake spacer, and ported intake. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Haven't tried those but they should be good. Griots generally has very good stuff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
I've never tried them either but its sounds like a fair price for all you get, i'll be waiting to hear from others who have used them also before i think about buying any
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
The waffle weave is a good towel. I still find Adams to be the best because it absorbs more due to no dies. The wax and polish towels are my favorite. You can only use one side of them due to tags, but they are break off tags. Easily removed, but the nap is only good on one side IMO. The interior towels are just your basic OTC towels. They arent anything special. The waterless wash and speed wipe towels are very nice if you get some that don't lint. If yours lint, griots will replace them free of charge when they are new. I have a huge local griots dealer and use a lot of their stuff. Some of it is great such as their towels, but others they're are better. I find Adams to be higher quality. Griots is going OTC at advance autos now... But to answer our question, yes I'd buy those towels again. I plan to buy some more this next month actually for my business .
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
IneedAZ

thanks for the replies! Didnt know those towels are one sided.
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, Throttle Contoller, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Koni str.t, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Michelin PSS tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, JacFab 3/4" intake spacer, and ported intake. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
When comparing quality microfiber towels, here’s are some tips that one needs to know when it comes to these towels:

Towel density is very important for a towel. the density is a measure of fibers per square inch of fabric on a microfiber towel. The range for a good microfiber towel is from 95,000 to 250,000 fibers per square inch.
The ratio of polyester and the polyamide blend is very important. While 80% polyester and 20% polyamide is great for detailing, a 70/30 blend will absorb water faster and better. As polyamide is much more expensive than polyester, you can expect to pay more for a 70/30 blend.
Make sure you look at the weave and fabric thickness (plushness) of the towel. Depending on the specific task the cloth is designed to perform, the fiber ends may be hooked (for cleaning), feathered (for polishing and glass cleaning), or tufted (for drying). We all know the saying; it costs more to make quality! Microfiber is no different. Quality construction is not always obvious, here are some observations from folks out there. The biggest complaint with automotive microfiber is that towels with cheap edging will scratch your paint! There are two possible reasons. First, the cheap factory uses a hot wire system to cut their towels. If not properly adjusted, or if a cheap machine is used, the hot wire will melt the fabric. When polyester and nylon melt, they turn into hard plastic and will scratch the paint for sure! The second complaint is that the towel creates excessive lint. Microfiber lint is caused by towels with a high pile or a broad weave using a fiber split that’s inappropriate. The high pile or loose weave allow the fibers to break off, creating linting which some of us have seen. The same split fiber used in a towel with a higher fabric density will lint less or not at all. Always take care of your towels and wash them with a Microfiber soap to maintain them and keep them fresh and new. Remember when you get a new towel to do the CD trick and save you paint from scratches.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
IneedAZ

What is the cd trick?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Try the Microfiber towel on a blank CD. try to scratched the CD by of cleaning the CD, if it scratches it then a 99.9 % chance it will do the same on your paint.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
2ss2012

Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
What are some of the best towels?
2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
IneedAZ

Ok, thanks

Whose towels do you use on your stuff for wax and polish removal?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
2ss2012

Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
Adams single soft dont pass the cd test!
2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
Angelo@Autopia

I have many different ones from Autogeek, and PakShak. Also have some from the close CMA also.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Angelo@Autopia

The ones that don't pass the test I use them for wheels, interior work and door and trunk jams.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
IneedAZ

Is what caught my eye with the griots is the fact they say for polish and the others say for wax removal where as i dont see that on other brands so i dont know what to buy.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
For what it's worth, I sent all of the microfiber towels I bought from Griot's back to them because they all had tags sewn in . . . that is a deal breaker for me.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
IneedAZ

I was looking at the towels at Pakshak, Autogeek, and Autopia and it gets confusing as there are so many. It would be nice if they clearly said this towel is best for doing this, this towels is best for this, and so forth.

Need a detailer to do a towel off competition to see which works the best for each task so we quit waisting so much money.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
I was looking at the towels at Pakshak, Autogeek, and Autopia and it gets confusing as there are so many. It would be nice if they clearly said this towel is best for doing this, this towels is best for this, and so forth.

Need a detailer to do a towel off competition to see which works the best for each task so we quit waisting so much money.
Look on www.adamspolishes.com and they can answer all your questiions
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
IneedAZ

Well, i decided to try Pakshak for the first time. 18 towels for $88 plus shipping.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #19
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
Well, i decided to try Pakshak for the first time. 18 towels for $88 plus shipping.
Those are good towels. You'll like them

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
I have used these for drying, and they also have glass cleaning ones. Seems reasonable for price. I also have the rethickculous towel from detailers domain for waxing.

http://www.microfiberwholesale.com/P...ave-Towel.html
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
1SsmOkin-SS
KNIGHT LIGHTNING

Drives: '12 AGM L99 SS
Send a message via Skype™ to 1SsmOkin-SS
There's No Way I'd use Any type of microfiber towel of any kind to dry my brand new SS uh-huh. Take the time to dry it with absorber chamois (fiberLess) Theres No chance of it "swirly marking" your clear coat. Unless u let it get dirty or fall on the ground w/o thoroughly rinsing it clean again. Its that simple.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss2012 View Post
Adams single soft dont pass the cd test!
Really? I sure hope they do since I just bought some and am awaiting my delivery! Will be here tomorrow
Old 05-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
Adams single soft are fine i have been using them for over 8 mths and they do not scratch your clear coat as long as you keep them clean.
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman12 View Post
Really? I sure hope they do since I just bought some and am awaiting my delivery! Will be here tomorrow
CD test isn't an accurate measure of microfiber quality, the only useful thing you can do with it is compare 1 towel to another. I've also done extensive testing and our towels do not scratch:

Quote:
STEP ONE: I carefully removed a blank DVD from its packaging and inspect for existing scratches or scuffs on the recordable side of the disc -

STEP 2: I determine what towels I'd be testing. For this writeup we'll be testing an Adams Double-Soft Premium microfiber towel vs. a common over the counter Chinese made bulk towel found at many local stores. According to the sewn in tag the ratio is 80/20. Both were fresh out of their packaging, never used, never washed.

STEP 3: I marked each side of the disc to avoid any confusion about what towel had touched what side of the disc being sure to avoid touching the surface with my hands.

STEP 4: Wrapping the Adam's towel around my finger I applied a liberal amount of pressure to the disc then proceeded to wipe vertically a total of 3 times.

STEP 5: The same process was repeated with the BRAND X towel on the other side of the disc.

STEP 6: Being careful not to touch the face of the disc I did a quick inspection under normal light. Even without the aid of my flash it was obvious that the BRAND X side was a little worse for wear.

STEP 7: Firing my flash off directly into the center of the disc showed the real results. The light scratches from just 3 passes of the towel on the BRAND X side are noticeable while the Adams Double Plush side is scratch free!!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote