Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Trunk Monkey Parts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
actireman
 
Drives: 2011 denali hd2500
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: clarkston, mi
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
Yes. We have a MD1100SE. The lower numbers were also related due to the excessive IAT's. The S/C cooling system on this car is terrible
My dyno will not give as high of numbers as yours. Yours is enertia and mine is eddy current. I'll be impressed if mine will read 450 HP.
actireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #30
Erik@Torq
 
Erik@Torq's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 1,196
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankzl1 View Post
Nice job guys!!!!
Thanks Frank, let me know when you are bringing yours in

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcam2ss View Post
Great job Erik and Paul !!
Thanks buddy, can't wait to see yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by actireman View Post
My dyno will not give as high of numbers as yours. Yours is enertia and mine is eddy current. I'll be impressed if mine will read 450 HP.
Ours is also an Eddy Current, All Mustangdynos are actually Eddy Currents. They sure are great tuning tools!

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #31
Russell James


 
Russell James's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Drag, #37 TA Stock Car, '15 ILE
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,817
Sounds like these cars are really going to benefit from a CAI and good 93 octane. Has there been any thought to relocating the IAT?

Maybe then someone who wanted to keep their 100K factory warranty, they could just go with addressing the intake cold air and IATs but keep the tuning stock. Or would the stock tuning really need to see that actual IAT at the MAF to prevent detonation?

Since this car is going to have high underhood temps, maybe a ceramic coated intake tube going to a sealed off CAI box and front scoop might be the ticket to lower IATs. A standard black intake tube is going to be getting quite a bit of heat soak.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #32
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,487
a word of caution - please note 'break-in' period as described in your owner's manual.
__________________
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #33
Frankzl1
 
Drives: 2012 Ashen ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
a word of caution - please note 'break-in' period as described in your owner's manual.
that's why I am driving all over town
Frankzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Frankzl1
 
Drives: 2012 Ashen ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 494
1100 miles to go.....
Frankzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #35
Big Top Gt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: IOM 2010 2SS/RS (LS3)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Florida, 33071
Posts: 677
Send a message via AIM to Big Top Gt Send a message via Skype™ to Big Top Gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post

Aftermarket Airbox (pics and brand to be disclosed shortly)
Some other really cool pieces we have designed for this car with the help of CAD data provided through the SEMA Tech Transfer program
A little birdie whispered "Air Raid" in my ear. Not my first choice (or even third, really), but I guess we all shake what our mamas give us.

In all seriousness, though; since when are you guys using AutoCAD and SEMA Transfer data? I thought you had to be a licensed manufacturer to use that stuff?

If you ARE a paying shop, I've got some cool stuff in development we might be able to work on together, if you're at all interested.
Big Top Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #36
Redline Motorsports
 
Redline Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: Several...
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York-South Florida
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Sounds like these cars are really going to benefit from a CAI and good 93 octane. Has there been any thought to relocating the IAT?

Maybe then someone who wanted to keep their 100K factory warranty, they could just go with addressing the intake cold air and IATs but keep the tuning stock. Or would the stock tuning really need to see that actual IAT at the MAF to prevent detonation?

Since this car is going to have high underhood temps, maybe a ceramic coated intake tube going to a sealed off CAI box and front scoop might be the ticket to lower IATs. A standard black intake tube is going to be getting quite a bit of heat soak.
Russell,

The LSA engine uses two IAT sensors....one in the MAF and the other post compression side of the blower. There is nothing to "trick" anymore as IAT is critical to spark advance. What matters is what is entering the combustion chamber.

The lower temps are most certainly a benefit in producing more power output but the real gain on these engines is getting rid of the suction side restriction. This is the real improvement which will require a shift in the MAF table to correct. This means your into the factory calibration and compromise your factory warranty.

Hope this makes sense.

Howard
Redline Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #37
obzidian
 
obzidian's Avatar
 
Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: miami
Posts: 293
Great job guys, very thorough. Are you seeing similar KR levels like what I've seen with the SS's? Stock timing tables in the these seem to be a tad aggressive, even with 93 oct.

The stock afr seems right on so squeezing any power out of it must of been fun.
__________________
.....
obzidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #38
obzidian
 
obzidian's Avatar
 
Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: miami
Posts: 293
N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports View Post
Russell,

The LSA engine uses two IAT sensors....one in the MAF and the other post compression side of the blower. There is nothing to "trick" anymore as IAT is critical to spark advance. What matters is what is entering the combustion chamber.

The lower temps are most certainly a benefit in producing more power output but the real gain on these engines is getting rid of the suction side restriction. This is the real improvement which will require a shift in the MAF table to correct. This means your into the factory calibration and compromise your factory warranty.

Hope this makes sense.

Howard
Is that some sort of baffle in the intake?
__________________
.....
obzidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #39
Redline Motorsports
 
Redline Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: Several...
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York-South Florida
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post
N

Is that some sort of baffle in the intake?
No baffle just the engine likes a larger diameter inlet and a straighter path.
Redline Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #40
obzidian
 
obzidian's Avatar
 
Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: miami
Posts: 293
Oh, i see what you were saying. I thought you meant the stock intake had a sound canceller or a baffle that held it back but I wasn't aware of one.

Much like the GT500 5.4L, hopefully with a larger, straighter intake the combo keeps making more and more power.
__________________
.....
obzidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #41
Rangore

 
Rangore's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,235
__________________
2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Edition - No longer owned: 2010 Camaro 2LT, 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #42
CJ1034
 
CJ1034's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM Manual
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northville, Michigan
Posts: 85
ZL1

Starting to think about performance upgrades for my ZL, going to be watching what everyone is doing very closely. Mine still has 60 miles on it so definetly waiting until its broken in first.
CJ1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.