Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
97JBKSS

Drives: SOLD them both
HELP! HELP!

Got a legal question....I sold my car last summer (August) but forgot how much. It was a cash deal and the amount was betwenn $2000 and $3000. I just received a letter for the TAX Man (Ohio) asking what I sold it for!!

I do not have the buyers name, number or address.

Now what????????????????????????????????
97JBKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Did you give the guy a "bill of sale"? and btw......how did they even know?? did you declare it on something? you said it was a cash transaction.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
97JBKSS

Bill of sale means nothing here in Ohio. The TAX man send both the buyer and seller the same letter and ask what the price was. This is all to make sure no one lied on the price and the buyer paid the correct tax. We did not lie the car was junk but I dont remember the exact amount of the sale and I cant get in touch with the buyer.

This is a random selection and the first I have even been asked and I have bought and sold lots of cars

If the number dont match we get audited and could end up in court and charged with tax fraud!

UGH!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
The Stig

Drives: out of the ashes
I would explain to the TAX man exactly what you just posted. That you don't know the exact amount and cannot get in contact with the buyer. Or you could just say that you paid $3,000 and pay whatever the extra taxes are.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
97JBKSS

Stieger, the buyer would have to pay the extra tax plus we both be fined $1,000 for not being honest. I need to find out if I can say "I dont remember and I ca't get in touch with the buyer" but not sure that will fly.

The guy who bought it paid me cash and trailered it home, he had a frind with him who nortrized the title. I dont even remember his name, once I had the cash I didnt care.

Hoping to find someone who had been thru this before to help me out.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
I'm with Stieger......get ahold of the tax man....and explain. the very best thing you can do is contact the tax man and tell him the absolute truth. if you don't know the buyers name, and he paid you cash.....and its been almost a year......geeeeeeeeeeeez I could remember last week, much less last summer!!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
CJ Man
Missing my SS :(

Drives: 2012 Ford Explorer [ :( ]
Damn tax man always trying to get his cut! Did you deposit the amount in your bank account? I would check bank statements. if its not in there then shoot from the hip! If there is no bill of sale then there is no way to justify the amount! If the sellar says one amount and his bank statements show more for the withdrawal, how can they justify the full amount of his withdrawal went to you!

However I in no way condone defrauding or giving false statements to our government and the men and women who run this beautiful nation of hours! The tax man is just one of many hard working bureaucrats that keeps this nation running in the successful manner it has been for the past few years! Keep up the good work! Just my two cents! Totally off topic and I have no idea what I am talking about!
CJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
97JBKSS

He paid me cash and I spent it over the last year so I have no record of it....like I said it was between $2k and $3K...small change for a beater car.

Apparenty in Ohio you are resposible of keeping your own records, I have no clue of this!