Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Bank of America tells gun manufacturer to take a hike.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/20/an...-another-bank/

Quote:
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, McMillan Firearms Manufacturing and McMillan Group International have been collectively banking with Bank of America for 12 years. But no more: In a recent meeting, the mega-bank told the firearms company that its business is no longer welcome.

Operations director Kelly McMillan told the Daily Caller that his company has never been late on a payment and has never bounced a check. The debt outstanding on its line of credit is at 61 percent.

But at the bank’s request, he said, the McMillan group of companies would soon be paying off its credit line and closing its accounts.

Writing Thursday on Facebook, McMillan described a meeting at his office with Ray Fox, a business banking Senior Vice President with the giant bank. What was originally scheduled as an “account analysis” meeting, however, quickly became a political smackdown.

The Bank of America emissary, he said, “spent 5 minutes talking about how McMillan has changed in the last 5 years and have become more of a firearms manufacturer than a supplier of accessories.”

“At this point I interrupted him,” McMillan said, and asked, ‘Can I possibly save you some time so that you don’t waste your breath? What you are going to tell me is that because we are in the firearms manufacturing business you no longer what my business.’”

Fox’s reply, according to McMillan? “That is correct.”

McMillan told TheDC that he plans to move his company’s account to “a more Second Amendment-friendly bank” as soon as it can be done.

He recalls telling the bank executive that he planned to tell the National Rifle Association, Safari Club International, and his other gun-loving friends “that Bank of America is not firearms-industry-friendly.”

“You have to do what you must” was Fox’s reply, he said. “We have to assess the risk of doing business with a firearms related industry.”

The McMillan group of companies may have the last laugh: It is considering no longer accepting Bank of America credit cards for purchases.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Linker239

Drives: 2010 VR 1LT RS
What is this world coming to?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
This is exactly what BofA did to my parents in late 2009 after being loyal, debt free customers with plenty of money always in their accounts, etc. They sent my parents a letter giving them a month to get all their money out and find a new bank. This was after my parents banked with them since 1974. They offered no explanation and claimed they held the right not to give any reason. F**k BofA and the horse they rode in on.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
That's the last straw for me... BofA has been pulling a lot of below- the- belt punches lately. To know that they are going to send somebody packing over a liberal/ politically correct fallacy is enough for to "pull the trigger;" I will close my account on Monday.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linker239 View Post
What is this world coming to?
I agree!! We should inform everyone we know of BoA's decision. Is that not a form of discrimination of BoA's part??
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
What a load of BS! BofA sucks. I hope McMillen sues them.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Code R6P View Post
I agree!! We should inform everyone we know of BoA's decision. Is that not a form of discrimination of BoA's part??

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Oh I am. I posted this on my FB and on other forums I am a member of to get it out there. I've very pro-gun and pro-second amendment but even if I wasn't I still would be doing this. What BoA did is wrong and people need to be aware.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
fielderLS3

Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
This is exactly what BofA did to my parents in late 2009 after being loyal, debt free customers with plenty of money always in their accounts, etc. They sent my parents a letter giving them a month to get all their money out and find a new bank. This was after my parents banked with them since 1974. They offered no explanation and claimed they held the right not to give any reason. F**k BofA and the horse they rode in on.
That's a bit bizarre. The bank sent you a notice telling you to remove your money from their bank? Although I could probably believe anything if it was Bank of America. The fact that they have any customers left at all is actually more surprising to me than the take your money elsewhere notice.

Actually, the reason they did this is right in your post. You said your parents were debt free customers with plenty of money in their accounts. Like any other shady financial company, like the credit card companies, for example, they don't want customers with money in their accounts. They want people in debt up to their eyeballs who get into financial trouble so BOA can charge large interest rates, fees, and penalties that people in trouble will find very difficult to get out from under.

These types of institutions don't see responsible, debt free people with money in their accounts as a big enough revenue stream to be worth their time. The sad fact is, the way BOA is set up, an overdrawn account is much more valuable to them than one with money. They learned nothing in 2008-2009.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
By what definition would this be discrimination? I am pro-second amendment, though not as incredibly one-sided as many, but don't you think it would be beneficial to get BofA's side of the story from a source that isn't as obviously bias? Sounds like there may be more to the story.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
midnighter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
That's a bit bizarre. The bank sent you a notice telling you to remove your money from their bank? Although I could probably believe anything if it was Bank of America. The fact that they have any customers left at all is actually more surprising to me than the take your money elsewhere notice.

Actually, the reason they did this is right in your post. You said your parents were debt free customers with plenty of money in their accounts. Like any other shady financial company, like the credit card companies, for example, they don't want customers with money in their accounts. They want people in debt up to their eyeballs who get into financial trouble so BOA can charge large interest rates, fees, and penalties that people in trouble will find very difficult to get out from under.

These types of institutions don't see responsible, debt free people with money in their accounts as a big enough revenue stream to be worth their time. The sad fact is, the way BOA is set up, an overdrawn account is much more valuable to them than one with money. They learned nothing in 2008-2009.
To make matters worse, my parents had just ordered and received over 5,000 blank payroll checks and they all went to the shredder. Employees that waited too long to cash their paychecks with the BofA checks issued before the cancellation, would cash them at a convenience market and the owner wouldn't be able to get the funds from the bank account which had already been terminated. It made my parents look like they were writing bad checks. Once again I say, f**k BofA!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
fielderLS3

Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
To make matters worse, my parents had just ordered and received over 5,000 blank payroll checks and they all went to the shredder. Employees that waited too long to cash their paychecks with the BofA checks issued before the cancellation, would cash them at a convenience market and the owner wouldn't be able to get the funds from the bank account which had already been terminated. It made my parents look like they were writing bad checks. Once again I say, f**k BofA!
Ouch. That would make me even madder than them telling me to move my account elsewhere. Have your parents ever looked into direct deposit?

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
It is discrimination based upon political beliefs. But due to them having a loan B OF A is allowed to ask that the loan be closed immediately. Even if they sue this is what BOFA will say was the reason.

Unless they recorded the phone call, which if the other party didnt know about could be evidence that is thrown out, they will get away with this clean and scott free.

Say hello to big corporations and a crap ton of lawyers that the gun company can not afford.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
midnighter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ouch. That would make me even madder than them telling me to move my account elsewhere. Have your parents ever looked into direct deposit?
No, they took their business to one of our local banks and spoke with the CEO himself about their situation. This bank has been good so far. The payroll is done through this bank now however there were more BofA branches for the employees to cash their checks anywhere in the country. The local bank doesn't have any branches outside my parent's county so the employees have to pay a fee to cash their checks unless they open an account with the bank they want to cash the checks in. It's still sucks but my parents have gotten by just fine and their fruit harvesting company is still running strong. I work for them in the summer during harvest btw.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Unless they recorded the phone call, which if the other party didnt know about could be evidence that is thrown out, they will get away with this clean and scott free.
It wasn't a phone call. It was a yearly account analysis meeting that BoA holds with their major account holders.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
Skogen
Hell Yea!

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS & 2012 2SSRS M6
Quote:

Actually, in the past. When rates were higher. Banks wanted deposits. It was cheaper for them to pay higher rates on savings accounts, cd's ect then pay the fed. In todays market, it is the exact opposit. Most banks have so much cheap fed funds, they do not want large deposit accounts. In fact many larger banks (BoA, Citi, WFC) charge customers a service fee with large deposits.

My advice. Find yourself a local community bank. They may not have all of the fancy products BoA has, but their service will be second to none. Also, the taxes community banks pay, stay in your community.

Also, April is Community Banking Month.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
2013 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax
1969 Chevelle SS396 - Numbers matching
Skogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
hotrodsally
The Legend Lives On

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to hotrodsally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skogen View Post
Actually, in the past. When rates were higher. Banks wanted deposits. It was cheaper for them to pay higher rates on savings accounts, cd's ect then pay the fed. In todays market, it is the exact opposit. Most banks have so much cheap fed funds, they do not want large deposit accounts. In fact many larger banks (BoA, Citi, WFC) charge customers a service fee with large deposits.

My advice. Find yourself a local community bank. They may not have all of the fancy products BoA has, but their service will be second to none. Also, the taxes community banks pay, stay in your community.

Also, April is Community Banking Month.
Absolutely. A Regional, State or Community bank will be thrilled to have their business.

I lived in LV for 3 days when I opened an account with a local state bank and have banked with them ever since. They offer all the consumer products I need!

Viva Las Vegas!
hotrodsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
That's the last straw for me... BofA has been pulling a lot of below- the- belt punches lately. To know that they are going to send somebody packing over a liberal/ politically correct fallacy is enough for to "pull the trigger;" I will close my account on Monday.
We closed our accounts after BOA started their $5 fee right about thanksgivng. Yes they backed off on it. but we closed all 4 of our acccounts & left went to BECU

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z, 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #19
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
I don't know how to explain this, but I always thought BOA was strange. I don't think any bank should call itself "Bank of America".

To me that is the STUPIDEST name to call yourself. (fill in the blank) of America. how original.

Hoagie sandwich "of America"

I recall one time, I bounced a check with BOA, and i got 1) 35.00 fee for the bounced check....then 2) 35.00 fee for the checking account going below 00.00. I closed that account shortly after that. They have a "domino affect" system like that.

Sidenote: rod blagojevich one time was "talking bad" about BOA too.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
I recall one time, I bounced a check with BOA, and i got 1) 35.00 fee for the bounced check....then 2) 35.00 fee for the checking account going below 00.00. I closed that account shortly after that. They have a "domino affect" system like that.
Yea I hate their system. 3 years ago, my old boss accumulated $600 in fees on one transaction because she overdrew her checking account. It just dominoed and BoA said that's how all banks operate.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
I don't give a crap about firearms, to each his own. Business is business . BOA is not big in our area. There are a total of three full service branches in our area. This is in a tri county area. One of those branches is closing on April 27. I am hoping the others follow suit. They are headache to service them.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
Skogen
Hell Yea!

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS & 2012 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Yea I hate their system. 3 years ago, my old boss accumulated $600 in fees on one transaction because she overdrew her checking account. It just dominoed and BoA said that's how all banks operate.

This is caused by the banks over draft policy. Banks used to pay the biggest check first using availible funds up, and then charge a over draft fee per item for every check after that. They had no limit.

New laws are in effect. Banks now have to pay the smallest items first and the return the larger items (if you become over drawn).

Many community banks have a max on how much they can charge you in over draft also.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
2013 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax
1969 Chevelle SS396 - Numbers matching
Skogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
This is caused by the banks over draft policy. Banks used to pay the biggest check first using availible funds up, and then charge a over draft fee per item for every check after that. They had no limit.

New laws are in effect. Banks now have to pay the smallest items first and the return the larger items (if you become over drawn).

Many community banks have a max on how much they can charge you in over draft also.
I thought the problem was that Bank of America was they were processing larger payments and debits out of order sequentially and BEFORE credits...

i.e.

You have $500 in your checking account on a Thursday.

You deposit your paycheck for $500 on Friday, after work.

You buy $50.00 worth of gas on Saturday morning (950 left)

You buy two video games at $60/piece on Saturday afternoon ($120 purchase, $830 left in the account)

And then you cut a check for your rent for $700 and give it to him on Saturday afternoon, after which your landlord promptly deposits first thing the following Monday morning.

You should have $130 left in your checking account at the end of the day Monday after all transactions are processed.

Let's argue that you have a $150 minimum balance. In this scenario you get charged the nominal amount for being below the $150.

That's 1 fee charged

i.e. this is how most reasonable people would assume that the transactions would occur since these are in chronological order

---------------------------------

What actually happened was that BOA was processing your funds in the following manner:

Opening balance after the weekend (described above) = $500

Process the check for $700 rent first, negative $200 balance - overdraft fee

Process purchase for $120 of videogames, negative $320 balance - overdraft fee, insufficient fund fee, (and there was another one)

Process purchase of $50 worth of gas, negative $370 balance - overdraft fee, insufficient fund fee, (and the other one I can't remember)

Then process your $500 paycheck deposit, now have a positive $130 balance and get a fee for being below the minimum account balance.

AND they have still yet to deduct the fees (because I can't remember the amounts) but you have 3 OD fees and 2 insufficient fund fees, in addition to 2 other fees I can't remember AND the fee for being below the minimum account balance.

They could STILL pull you below your +$130 balance. which would result in you being dinged AGAIN for overdrafting AND being below minimum account balance.

That's a minimum of 8! 8! Fees

------------------

Now I thought laws were passed to ensure that the activity on an account was processed in CHRONOLOGICAL order i.e. every transaction is time stamped so process them in that order.

I could be wrong, but after this debacle in the banking industry in the last few years I do a few things:

1. Bank only with those institutions that process the transactions in chronological order (before the law made them)

2. Always keep some buffer room for my purchases/bills in my checking account

3. Have a checking account that has no minimum balance

4. Turn off overdraft protection - make sure the bank/cc company will just "DECLINE" the purchase just to make sure. (if you're out of money, you're out of money)

Last edited by G-Oil Guy; 04-22-2012 at 11:59 AM.
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
Mr_Draco

Quote:
I know what you're talking about but that's not what happened. I'm talking about one purchase causing that.

She thought she had enough money in her checking account to cover a check but didn't. She had her account set up so that if that happened her savings account would cover it so that way she only would be charged the overdraft fee and avoid the insufficient fund fee. Well after her savings account covered the check it didn't have enough to cover the overdraft fee so it was charged a insufficient fund fee plus two additional overdraft fees because it went below $0, so BoA tried to charge her checking account the 4 fees (up to 3 overdrafts and 1 insufficient). Her checking is already at a $0 so she got slapped with 4 more overdraft fees because now it tried to charge her savings, one for each fee (up to 7 overdrafts and 1 insufficient). Since her savings is at $0 she got slapped with 8 more insufficient fund fees (one for each fee), plus 16 more overdraft fees. At this point it stopped and she wound up with a total of 23 overdrafts, 9 insufficient, plus the 2 fees for her checking and savings accounts going below minimum all from writing one check.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #25
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Now I thought laws were passed to ensure that the activity on an account was processed in CHRONOLOGICAL order i.e. every transaction is time stamped so process them in that order.
Yea the new federal law passed last year now mandates that all activity has to be done in chronological order. It also mandates that banks can only charge a set limit of overdraft and insufficient fund fees (I think 2 of each) within a one month time frame. And it also says that before they can charge you a fee they have to notify you before hand that you overdrew and the next time you do it they will charge you so now you can overdraw twice within a certain time frame and only be charged once.