Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Report on spare tire kit

I know there are a few threads where people are debating about this spare tire kit, but rather than finding them and updated them all, I'll just start fresh. I bought the spare tire from Randy Maddox (performancespare@gmail.com) a couple weeks ago. To clarify things a bit, Randy is the same person who is selling these on ebay with ID 1bigflattire. So if you order from ebay or buy direct from Randy you are getting the same thing. Also, Randy has nothing to do with the web site in England with a similar name. He is located in Green Valley, a few miles south of Tuscon AZ. The same area as the Titan Missile Museum which is well worth seeing if you are ever down that way.

I need to mention that when I first got the kit there was a problem with the spacer. The center hole was about .02" too small. I emailed Randy and was lucky enough to catch him just before he and his brother left for Las Vegas to attend a Chrysler event. They stopped by and brought me a new spacer. By the time they got here he had talked to the guy who machines the spacers. He had a problem with his equipment and the center wasn't properly finished on a few. He thought he had caught them all but obviously at least one got through and I got one. It was immediately obvious that the new one was much better finished in the center hole. I would seriously recommend that anyone who has one of these kits that they haven't tried on their car get out there and do it. I'm sure Randy will double check them all before he sends them out now.

This week I got around to trying the kit with the new spacer and it worked fine. The process was a lot easier with a floor jack and air wrench. I didn't feel it was necessary to use the hard to crank scissor jack since I had already tried it. The handle for the scissor jack works fine for holding the front wheel while tightening the spacer, no need to carry a separate tool for that. The thing you can count on is a SERVICE STABILITRAK message and the traction control lights and ABS light lighting up. These went out shortly after putting the regular tire back on. I had the spare tire on the front and drove it a couple miles about reaching about 50 MPH. It drove OK, just a slight pull to the right (it was on the right front) when stopping.

I'm very pleased with the tire kit, and especially pleased with the great service from Randy. Now I've just got to figure out how to get the tire in the trunk. I know it fits over the battery, but I suspect I'll need a different spacer or something. I'll face that next week.

EDIT 5/7/12 - Be aware that the tire you get will be a 135/80 instead of the 145/80 they used to supply. When asked, I was told that was done so it will also fit in a Cadillac CTSV trunk well which is slightly smaller. Perhaps that explains the pull to the right when braking that I experienced. Given the slight likelihood that I'll ever use the tire I'm just going to put it in the trunk and not worry about the size. I will have to put something around the outside of it to fill the 1/4-1/2" gap so it won't slide around. 145/80 would quite honestly have been better.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lee123; 05-07-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Sweet. Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
seddon

Drives: RED JEWEL 2SS
Do you have a pic as to placement in the trunk. Does it go on top of the battery?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Lee123

I'm going to try to figure that out next week. I think there are pictures around here of the tire in the trunk, but as I recall they had different spacers. I'm saving that project for later in the week when it'll be 80. Todays going to be 100, better for getting in the pool than for digging around in thee trunk.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Lee123

Updated 5/7/12. Tire is 135/80 instead of the 145/80 they used to supply.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
On Saturday Pep Boys pulled a nail out of my rear tire. I just ordered this setup and will post as well.

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Lee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
On Saturday Pep Boys pulled a nail out of my rear tire. I just ordered this setup and will post as well.
Thanks. I'll be curious how you end up storing the tire in the trunk. Mine seemed a bit loose when I laid it on the metal piece that holds the battery it could slide back and forth a bit. It needs a little padding or something around the outside. Other than that it worked fine.