Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
MustangKiller

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs A6 yellow !!!!!
lol 1 axle wow GM........lol fml

So i was looking over my new baby today and noticed the larger axle on the right rear. So my question is can i do what gm failed too do and order the larger GM axle and put it on the driver side is this possible or are the axles different for each side?
MustangKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
RxDoc08
Jason

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
The axles are different for each side. One is larger than the other because this is GM's way to combat wheel hop. As far as I know the only way you are going to get axles that are the same size on each side is to get a set of aftermarket axles like The Driveshaft Shop Level 5 axles.
RxDoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
MustangKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDoc08 View Post
The axles are different for each side. One is larger than the other because this is GM's way to combat wheel hop. As far as I know the only way you are going to get axles that are the same size on each side is to get a set of aftermarket axles like The Driveshaft Shop Level 5 axles.
Wheel hop? I believe it was too fix the breaking passenger side axle. If it was too fix wheel hop it shure didnt work. I just took mine too the track @ 1,500 miles and ran the tires off it. I ran the car 7 times and it never seemed like the launch countrol even tried it just instantly broke loose and strait in too wheel hop and i had to let off and get back on it. My 60 ft times sucked.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Parapdrapa

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Get 2 equal axles and tell me how much worse it is... Lol

Any IRS setup will have wheel hop especially with a manual and a less experienced person driving. When with full rear end and suspension upgrades you can still have wheel hop. You need to upgrade and learn to drive it to reduce and possssssssssibly eliminate it.
Parapdrapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
RxDoc08
Jason

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I'm not by any means saying that the axle design works 100%, but that is the reason for having one axle thicker than the other. Also, just about anyone you talk to about launch control on the SS Camaro will tell you not to use it because you can get a much better launch without it and it can break driveline parts.
RxDoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
MustangKiller

Quote:
I'm not by any means saying that the axle design works 100%, but that is the reason for having one axle thicker than the other. Also, just about anyone you talk to about launch control on the SS Camaro will tell you not to use it because you can get a much better launch without it and it can break driveline parts.
Im just sayin ..... Thats like one hid headlight and a regular on the other side but anyway im gonna launch it manually next fri night
Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
jeremywilson18

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS RS(LSX 454)
Send a message via MSN to jeremywilson18
They are supposed to be different sizes and that's the way the DDS makes them as well so don't panic
jeremywilson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
MustangKiller

Dont care what the reason and im not panicing is it just makes no sense unless the idea is that the smaller one will fail over every other drive line part
Old 04-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
As others have said, that is by design to help reduce wheel hop.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
MustangKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
Ok...
Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:

He told you here why it is and what you can do to even them out if you want to, even the specific axles to get. Im guessing though, that by doing that you will have, potentially, wheel hop issues.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
MustangKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
He told you here why it is and what you can do to even them out if you want to, even the specific axles to get. Im guessing though, that by doing that you will have, potentially, wheel hop issues.
I have horrific wheel hop now the launch control is useless thats the only thing i miss about my 2010 lc worked every time perfect
Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
MustangKiller

Thats ok ill call a friend in drivetrain in the am an ask why
Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
jeremywilson18

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS RS(LSX 454)
Send a message via MSN to jeremywilson18
Um no it isn't supposed to break. I'm not positive on the actual technology but since they are different sizes they twist a bit different and that should lessen wheel hop. It isn't perfect and there are other things to help with wheel hop but it is one technique. This idea is good independent rear end technology
jeremywilson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
The shaft's not the part that breaks anyway. It's the CV's that fail. GM designed them this way for a reason.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKiller View Post
I have horrific wheel hop now the launch control is useless thats the only thing i miss about my 2010 lc worked every time perfect
1st....you can keep asking a question and arguing with the answer all day...but it doesn't change the answer.

2nd...the design cannot overcome a horrible driver. Avoiding wheel hop is way more about driver skill than car design. You need to learn to slip your clutch...not dump it.

3rd....launch control on a 2010 is exactly the same as on whatever you are driving now.

4th....after learning to drive, the best fix for wheel hop is a call to Pfadt or Pedders.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
The camaro design is really prone to wheelhop. Even after being upgraded.

My IRS mustang with equal size axles you couldn't make hop if you tried.

The camaro on the other hand. Sucks.
blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
MustangKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
1st....you can keep asking a question and arguing with the answer all day...but it doesn't change the answer.

2nd...the design cannot overcome a horrible driver. Avoiding wheel hop is way more about driver skill than car design. You need to learn to slip your clutch...not dump it.

3rd....launch control on a 2010 is exactly the same as on whatever you are driving now.

4th....after learning to drive, the best fix for wheel hop is a call to Pfadt or Pedders.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
The reason GM designed the axles the way they did isn't an accident. This was a calculated design move originally implemented with the ZR1 and later rolled into some of the other Corvettes. By installing axles of significantly different diameter you change each axles natural frequency, and this will reduce powertrain shake when you're launching the car hard since both axles are no longer prone to resonance at the same frequencies. There was a video about this floating around a while ago, but for the life of me I can't find it.

There are other key items you can change that will help reduce the wheel hop that's present with these cars from the factory... rear trailing arms, rear toe control arms and solid subframe mounts will make a massive difference in the confidence of your Camaro while launching. These mods don't have a significant effect on the ride quality of the car, but will certainly help reduce wheel hop.

Long story short, the axles are sized differently to help reduce wheel hop. It's science.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote