Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Gotta clean up the body shop's work...

My Camaro was at the body shop to fix a paint flaw in the driver’s side door. They were able to wet sand the debris out of the clear coat, but I can see buffing or sanding marks in the area. They are very light and can only been seen in the sun. It’s hard to pick up on camera. So…my question is, what is the best way to handle this? I guess I could bring it back for the body shop to fix, but I’m worried it will come back worse.

I just received by Adam’s PC polishing kit and I assume this is the route to go. Just curious how risky it would be to buff the area if they had been doing some wet sanding, and clearly some buffing (with a small rotary it looks like). Any chance of busting through the clear coat with a PC?? I’ve never used a PC…but have studied up on how it works. I have all 3 Adam’s machine polishes and pads. Any thoughts would be appreciated…

On a side note…I just cleaned up my gal’s ‘12 Mazda 6 with some Adam’s supplies that I just received last week. The difference between Adam’s stuff and the over the counter stuff I had been using for years is incredible. The VRT is so cool!
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Mark's SS

Drives: 2014 Silverado Double Cab LTZ 4x4
If it were mine I would go over it with the Adam's SHR on a orange pad followed by FMP on a white pad. Unless the sanding marks are really bad, this should take care of it. If you have watched the videos on Adam's website about using the PC and understand how it works then you should be ok. You won't damage your clear coat with the PC.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Fiveg56

Thanks…I’ll tackle it tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
If they messed something up fixing it, then I would take it back and have them get it the way you want. After all it's your money.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Fiveg56

I figured they'd just buff the door into a bigger mess. I took the PC and some Adam's FMP and cleaned it right up.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Mark's SS

Drives: 2014 Silverado Double Cab LTZ 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
I figured they'd just buff the door into a bigger mess. I took the PC and some Adam's FMP and cleaned it right up.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Any before and after pic's?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Fiveg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
Any before and after pic's?
Nope...too hard to catch with my crappy camera. They were VERY light buffing marks. I was going to start with SHR, but figured I would I just try the FMP first. The entire car had very light swirls from the dealship, so I ended up doing all of the car and cleaned these up. It's near perfect now and was well worth the time.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Its really hard to say because theres no telling how far down the shop took your clear with sanding and buffing. The only way to know for sure would be to have it metered with a paint thickness gauge.

Odds are they probably didn't go too far (assuming they knew what they were doing) and you'll be perfectly safe to do a couple of PC passes to clean it up. On the other hand, I've had some situations where customers had spot repairs done... the shop sanded the clear down to razor thin, and a couple passes of the PC was all it took to strike thru.

If you do decide to handle it yourself I'd start mild (FMP + White Pad) and see where it gets you, just to be on the safe side.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Fiveg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Its really hard to say because theres no telling how far down the shop took your clear with sanding and buffing. The only way to know for sure would be to have it metered with a paint thickness gauge.

Odds are they probably didn't go too far (assuming they knew what they were doing) and you'll be perfectly safe to do a couple of PC passes to clean it up. On the other hand, I've had some situations where customers had spot repairs done... the shop sanded the clear down to razor thin, and a couple passes of the PC was all it took to strike thru.

If you do decide to handle it yourself I'd start mild (FMP + White Pad) and see where it gets you, just to be on the safe side.
Dylan....A few passes with the FMP cleaned it right up. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Cool! Glad to hear it... enjoy your weekend!
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote