Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 04-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Hlogan220

Drives: Chevy camaro 2012 2lt
Things to do to keep my camaro well maintained?

I know changing oil every other 3 or 4k is one..
and no excessive speeding to stress the engine,

Any other essential things to do?
Hlogan220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Hot box it.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlogan220 View Post

Both are wrong. Change the oil when the DIC tells you to - with the proper oil, of course. Drive it like it wants to be driven. Always wash it yourself, PROPERLY (check out Junkman's videos).
Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Quote:

It's more like 10k, but like Red said, the DIC will tell you when. A good deal of the owners generally change it within the first couple of thousand though.
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Stealth6
IN OMNIA PARATVS

Drives: 2011 BLK 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
... and no excessive speeding to stress the engine,
LoL Now.... Seriously.
Stealth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:

Driving it like a grandma is not going to maintain the engine. Changing the oil when you're supposed to, and not over-revving it, will prevent excessive wear and tear.

1. Don't abuse the drivetrain. Drive a manual (or auto if you have it) like it's supposed to be driven

2. Avoid potholes if you absolutely can. Save wear and tear on the suspension

3. Have a healthy balance of engine braking and conventional braking. It will save wear and tear on your brakes. Obviously don't engine brake in extremely high RPM's, it defeats the purpose of maintaining your driveline.

4. Keep your car clean. It's easier to spot body damage and see how your undercarriage/suspension/engine are holding up when it's not covering in dirt and dust.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
I'm pretty anal about my pricey toys (car, bikes, guitars).

I try to keep my stuff in excellent condition. One way is to keep it clean; inside & out.

I don't eat, drink, or smoke in the car. I generously apply UV protectant on all non-fabric components of the interior.

Exterior: Hand wash with the 2 bucket method to minimize swirls and scratches. I polished and applied a polymer sealant with a DA; followed with multiple coats of fine carnauba wax. The thin, soft paint wears some protection and is easier to wash.

Mechanically, when a problem does arise, give it prompt attention.

A clean car is a happy car and speaks volumes of the pride that the owner has in saying, "That's right, b1tches, I roll in style!".

I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
not over-revving .
How do you know if you're "over-revving it"? Could you explain further, please?

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Rangore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
I do 5k-6k between oil changes. I drive mine daily. 10k seems high, and worries me to go that long.

I did find out the transmission fluid is 100k (sealed transmission)...but again...that scares me to go that long.
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
bdrobLS3

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SSRS Manual Coupe
Send a message via AIM to bdrobLS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
How do you know if you're "over-revving it"? Could you explain further, please?
red line on the tach depends on what you are doing there is a peak tourqe band and a peak HP band, daily driving requires knowledge of nierther of those things. keep it under 6 K but since I believe you said your's was an Automatic you dont need to worry about over reving unless you are in neutral or low on tranni fluid.
bdrobLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
I agree ! When I first bought my car a friend of mine who works on cars a lot told me every 3000 to change oil. I was wasting a lot of money on oil cause by the time I made 3000 I still had lot oil needed to be used up.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrobLS3 View Post
red line on the tach depends on what you are doing there is a peak tourqe band and a peak HP band, daily driving requires knowledge of nierther of those things. keep it under 6 K but since I believe you said your's was an Automatic you dont need to worry about over reving unless you are in neutral or low on tranni fluid.
Right on man thanks! Yep I'm an auto and I use it for my DD and have went redline maybe two or three times. Thanks for the clarification.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
mikeyroche

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 1SS/RS M6
I have 6300 km on my 2011 and have had 1 oil change and get my 2nd next week. I don't wait for whatever kms, doing it before 5 or 6k won't hurt, only beneficial in the long run

2011 Camaro 1SS with RS - K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Atak Exhaust, Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads, SLP 'SS' Front Grille Emblem, Blue LED interior lighting, Camaro Victory Red Seatbelt Harness pads NEXT - Corvette LS3 Victory Red Fuel Rail Covers(Awaiting Installation), Window Tinting, Custom Leather Interior.
mikeyroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
Oil has changed drastically in the last 30 years, especially with synthetics. The old method of every 3K is way out dated. V8's back then only held 5 quarts, had case iron blocks/heads and where not built nearly as well as todays engines. There are lots of threads on oil changes and some have had thier used oil tested. GM's has invested a lot of $ in thier oil life monitoring system and all evidence is it work very well. It's not a simple light that comes on every 5K or something, it monitors all your driving and computes the oil's life.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
gcope63

Drives: 2007 Corvette, 2004 Grand Prix GTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE U NV View Post
Oil has changed drastically in the last 30 years, especially with synthetics. The old method of every 3K is way out dated. V8's back then only held 5 quarts, had case iron blocks/heads and where not built nearly as well as todays engines. There are lots of threads on oil changes and some have had thier used oil tested. GM's has invested a lot of $ in thier oil life monitoring system and all evidence is it work very well. It's not a simple light that comes on every 5K or something, it monitors all your driving and computes the oil's life.

I sent samples in twice after the DIC told me the oil needed change and both times the results came back showing that the oil still was okay and protecting the engine. One of these tests were over 10000 miles. This was on a Silverado 2500HD so it did work the oil.

Gary
gcope63 is offline   Reply With Quote