Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
AiRDawG

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
L99 Lifter Tick - An interesting situation for me.

Ok, so after reading through about 10 of these threads, including THIS very helpful thread, my suspicions have been confirmed, and as the quick iphone video (at bottom) shows, I'm all but certain that my lifters need to be replaced. I'm at about 23,000 miles because I just can't say no to driving this car everywhere.

Now here's where it gets interesting for me. I've voided my warranty. I've put on Headers, a "tune version" Vararam installed, and gotten dyno tuned. So my powertrain warranty is ixnay'ed for sure.

So my question for your consideration is, should I take it in and see if the dealer will do the repair because it's a known issue (in other words, since it's basically one step below a recall), or should I just preempt my inevitable power-hungry desires and get an early LS3 conversion?

Here's the vid:
http://youtu.be/mvBIj6_CCF8
AiRDawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
The_Creepy_Zebra

Drives: 2011 1SS
Do what did you find out I think I am in the same boat.
The_Creepy_Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
2011 SS SLP ZL427

Drives: 2011 SS ZL427
To be honest yours doesn't sound bad at all to me it sounds exactly like mine does and mine has only 157 miles on it, Being you voided your warranty, I think you should switch to Mobile 1 10W30 viscosity motor oil verses the 5W30, in my opinion the slightly thicker weight oil will allow the lifters to maintain proper pressure during the hot summer months which will allow for more quieter operation, alot of people will be against this however I think the 5W30 oil is mainly for MPG purposes and gas rating, I would care more about the inside of my engine verses how many miles per gallon im getting but thats just me, I use 10W30 in all my vehicals all year round with no problems when the camaro gets its first oil change that to will get Mobil1 10W30.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRDawG View Post
Ok, so after reading through about 10 of these threads, including THIS very helpful thread, my suspicions have been confirmed, and as the quick iphone video (at bottom) shows, I'm all but certain that my lifters need to be replaced. I'm at about 23,000 miles because I just can't say no to driving this car everywhere.

Now here's where it gets interesting for me. I've voided my warranty. I've put on Headers, a "tune version" Vararam installed, and gotten dyno tuned. So my powertrain warranty is ixnay'ed for sure.

So my question for your consideration is, should I take it in and see if the dealer will do the repair because it's a known issue (in other words, since it's basically one step below a recall), or should I just preempt my inevitable power-hungry desires and get an early LS3 conversion?

Here's the vid:
http://youtu.be/mvBIj6_CCF8

You think it's loud now, Do the conversion and put springs and cam in. And the headers make the tick louder. You should hear mine..
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote