Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
CAM....ZL1

 
CAM....ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BENTON, IL.
Posts: 980
paint sealant

Anyone going to have their car paint sealed...
Got my dealer to throw it in for me,but he did mark
the price up 3000 over msrp...so I guess i kind of paid for it.
I had to ask him to add it at no cost...he agreed...
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Stinkycheese916
 
Drives: 2011 RAM R/T
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 33
I'm not 100% sure but I think the dealer paint seal is just a overpriced wax job. Congrats on the beautiful car though!!!
Stinkycheese916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Russell James


 
Russell James's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Drag, #37 TA Stock Car, '15 ILE
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,756
They packed on blue sky and paint sealant?

They must be going for the crook of the year dealer award. You have been taken to the cleaners.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
kannon
 
kannon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS/M6
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 225
Sounds like a scam to me.
__________________
Suck Squeeze Bang Blow

kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
1954 Belair-man

 
1954 Belair-man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 889
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
blufin

 
blufin's Avatar
 
Drives: Fire Engine
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: WPB, Florida
Posts: 1,406
There is no such thing. Nothing more than a coat of teflon wax. Paint is sealed with clearcoat from the factory.

__________________
12.618 @ 110.75 Bone Stock 1/4 mile
8.165 @ 86.52 Bone Stock 1/8 mile
11.189 @ 124.44 on a 1.73 60' TVS2300 3.4 pulley, JRE tuned, Kooks LT headers and HF cats, MBRP catback exhaust, CAI intake, ADM scoop. Stock wheels/tires.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 5,296
You'll get many opinions on the paint protection (paint sealant) the dealers offer.

The dealer normally charges around $400 give or take to apply a coating that comes in liquid form in a can (from what I've been told), and that can of liquid usually sells for around $70.

The way the dealer put it to me is that it is a sealer that bonds to the paint and will protect the paint from many things including bird droppinfs, etc that can be very damaging to ordinary paint IF it's not cleaned up and allowed to set for a while.

He also described it as a lazy man's wax that will guaranty your paint will remain glossy. He said if you're the kind of person that is always waxing/polishing your car, then you don't need it.
If you're the lazy person that maybe waxes the car once a year maybe, then perhaps it would be worth your while to get it.

I have it on my last few cars, and I love it.

Your choice.
HDRDTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
CAM....ZL1

 
CAM....ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BENTON, IL.
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
You'll get many opinions on the paint protection (paint sealant) the dealers offer.

The dealer normally charges around $400 give or take to apply a coating that comes in liquid form in a can (from what I've been told), and that can of liquid usually sells for around $70.

The way the dealer put it to me is that it is a sealer that bonds to the paint and will protect the paint from many things including bird droppinfs, etc that can be very damaging to ordinary paint IF it's not cleaned up and allowed to set for a while.

He also described it as a lazy man's wax that will guaranty your paint will remain glossy. He said if you're the kind of person that is always waxing/polishing your car, then you don't need it.
If you're the lazy person that maybe waxes the car once a year maybe, then perhaps it would be worth your while to get it.

I have it on my last few cars, and I love it.

Your choice.
Thank you it's nice to see something positive..
from what I gather bugs and bird droppings are much easier to remove
with the sealer on. going to florida soon after i receive my car and the
luv bugs can be hell on paint..high acid insect..
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
ZL1Dave
 
ZL1Dave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phila. Pa
Posts: 201
This what I use on my cars and it works great and easy to apply and remove

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
OCDetails
 
Drives: It starts with a C...
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ...right behind you!
Posts: 14
You have to read the fine print of the warranty those 'paint sealant' treatments provide you. Sure they will last you forever. ...as long as you return to the dealership every three months for another coat. On some of them if you even miss one appointment they void the warranty. It is just something for dealerships to make a ton of money on and it isn't really any value.

For years Mercedes and Lexus dealerships (just two that I know of for certain) were charging $300 to apply Klasse Sealant Glaze to your car and advertised it would last for a year. Wha?? For one, the bottle cost only $20 bucks and there are 20 or 30 coats worth of product in there, so the profit on that kind of racket is enormous. And secondly, not many products out there will last more than 6 months, but why would you want one that did anyway? You are likely going to pick up some scratches and swirls along the way that you will want to polish out, so getting something that lasts forever on your paint just doesn't seem like good sense. Especially if you are just going to wait around for it to fall off.

I'm not saying 'paint sealants' are a scam, but I am saying that the crap dealerships push are scams. They are not worth what the dealership charges and there are far better options for you out there if you do a little research. Griot's makes some great products. Zaino is one I have no doubt you've heard of as well. Just look around and you'll find a dozen detailing forums with a ton of advice and expert opinions on which sealants provide the best protection and appearance for your vehicle.
OCDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
gmgdave
 
gmgdave's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dave View Post
This what I use on my cars and it works great and easy to apply and remove

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

I am using the same thing. Wash, clay bar, polish and paint Sealant. I know most of the people at Griot's and they make some of the best products.
__________________
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
tmandoug1
Deep Sea
 
tmandoug1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
Thank you it's nice to see something positive..
from what I gather bugs and bird droppings are much easier to remove
with the sealer on. going to florida soon after i receive my car and the
luv bugs can be hell on paint..high acid insect..
Do yourself a favor and get yourself a can of Rejex,,there are what they call lovebugs in FL. and they are the worst. After applying to my Z it has proven to be an excellant sealer or bug slide off lubricant,,,,can costs 15 dollars.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
ZL1Dave
 
ZL1Dave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phila. Pa
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
I am using the same thing. Wash, clay bar, polish and paint Sealant. I know most of the people at Griot's and they make some of the best products.
I agree Griots is the way to go. I just dont know if I'm going to the sealant approach or the 4x a year wax on my ZL1. I have used the sealant on my IROC with great results for several years and I think its better idea than dealer sealants as nobody is going to apply it to your car better yourself and I think the griots stuff is pretty close to what the dealer is gonna use anyway
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
1MtnGoat
 
1MtnGoat's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern TN
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dave View Post
This what I use on my cars and it works great and easy to apply and remove

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

I've been using the same for a good number of years. It lasts well (not forever) and gives a great shine. Road dirt - bugs, bird droppings etc. come of very easy. Good stuff!
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.