Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
paint sealant

Anyone going to have their car paint sealed...
Got my dealer to throw it in for me,but he did mark
the price up 3000 over msrp...so I guess i kind of paid for it.
I had to ask him to add it at no cost...he agreed...
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Stinkycheese916

Drives: 2011 RAM R/T
I'm not 100% sure but I think the dealer paint seal is just a overpriced wax job. Congrats on the beautiful car though!!!
Stinkycheese916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '69 Drag, #37 TA Stock Car, '15 ILE
They packed on blue sky and paint sealant?

They must be going for the crook of the year dealer award. You have been taken to the cleaners.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
kannon

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS/M6
Sounds like a scam to me.

kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
There is no such thing. Nothing more than a coat of teflon wax. Paint is sealed with clearcoat from the factory.

Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
You'll get many opinions on the paint protection (paint sealant) the dealers offer.

The dealer normally charges around $400 give or take to apply a coating that comes in liquid form in a can (from what I've been told), and that can of liquid usually sells for around $70.

The way the dealer put it to me is that it is a sealer that bonds to the paint and will protect the paint from many things including bird droppinfs, etc that can be very damaging to ordinary paint IF it's not cleaned up and allowed to set for a while.

He also described it as a lazy man's wax that will guaranty your paint will remain glossy. He said if you're the kind of person that is always waxing/polishing your car, then you don't need it.
If you're the lazy person that maybe waxes the car once a year maybe, then perhaps it would be worth your while to get it.

I have it on my last few cars, and I love it.

Your choice.
HDRDTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
You'll get many opinions on the paint protection (paint sealant) the dealers offer.

The dealer normally charges around $400 give or take to apply a coating that comes in liquid form in a can (from what I've been told), and that can of liquid usually sells for around $70.

The way the dealer put it to me is that it is a sealer that bonds to the paint and will protect the paint from many things including bird droppinfs, etc that can be very damaging to ordinary paint IF it's not cleaned up and allowed to set for a while.

He also described it as a lazy man's wax that will guaranty your paint will remain glossy. He said if you're the kind of person that is always waxing/polishing your car, then you don't need it.
If you're the lazy person that maybe waxes the car once a year maybe, then perhaps it would be worth your while to get it.

I have it on my last few cars, and I love it.

Your choice.
Thank you it's nice to see something positive..
from what I gather bugs and bird droppings are much easier to remove
with the sealer on. going to florida soon after i receive my car and the
luv bugs can be hell on paint..high acid insect..
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
ZL1Dave

Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
This what I use on my cars and it works great and easy to apply and remove

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
OCDetails

Drives: It starts with a C...
You have to read the fine print of the warranty those 'paint sealant' treatments provide you. Sure they will last you forever. ...as long as you return to the dealership every three months for another coat. On some of them if you even miss one appointment they void the warranty. It is just something for dealerships to make a ton of money on and it isn't really any value.

For years Mercedes and Lexus dealerships (just two that I know of for certain) were charging $300 to apply Klasse Sealant Glaze to your car and advertised it would last for a year. Wha?? For one, the bottle cost only $20 bucks and there are 20 or 30 coats worth of product in there, so the profit on that kind of racket is enormous. And secondly, not many products out there will last more than 6 months, but why would you want one that did anyway? You are likely going to pick up some scratches and swirls along the way that you will want to polish out, so getting something that lasts forever on your paint just doesn't seem like good sense. Especially if you are just going to wait around for it to fall off.

I'm not saying 'paint sealants' are a scam, but I am saying that the crap dealerships push are scams. They are not worth what the dealership charges and there are far better options for you out there if you do a little research. Griot's makes some great products. Zaino is one I have no doubt you've heard of as well. Just look around and you'll find a dozen detailing forums with a ton of advice and expert opinions on which sealants provide the best protection and appearance for your vehicle.
OCDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dave View Post

I am using the same thing. Wash, clay bar, polish and paint Sealant. I know most of the people at Griot's and they make some of the best products.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
Thank you it's nice to see something positive..
from what I gather bugs and bird droppings are much easier to remove
with the sealer on. going to florida soon after i receive my car and the
luv bugs can be hell on paint..high acid insect..
Do yourself a favor and get yourself a can of Rejex,,there are what they call lovebugs in FL. and they are the worst. After applying to my Z it has proven to be an excellant sealer or bug slide off lubricant,,,,can costs 15 dollars.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
ZL1Dave

Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
I am using the same thing. Wash, clay bar, polish and paint Sealant. I know most of the people at Griot's and they make some of the best products.
I agree Griots is the way to go. I just dont know if I'm going to the sealant approach or the 4x a year wax on my ZL1. I have used the sealant on my IROC with great results for several years and I think its better idea than dealer sealants as nobody is going to apply it to your car better yourself and I think the griots stuff is pretty close to what the dealer is gonna use anyway
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dave View Post

I've been using the same for a good number of years. It lasts well (not forever) and gives a great shine. Road dirt - bugs, bird droppings etc. come of very easy. Good stuff!
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote