Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
selleral

Drives: Black 2012 2LT RS
I know you all say the PC is safe, but is it really?

I've seen junkmans video about how safe the PC 7424xp is, but lets be honest, he's an expert. I have never taken good care of a car before, and my camaro has recently become my baby, even though its only two weeks old. I would love to take great care of it, especially because its black. I think buying that PC is what the move is (unless the Meguiar's one is better?), but I'm just terrified of pressing that crazy spinning machine up against my brand new car! I've never done anything like this before, and know nothing about power tools, or cars! Is there any way I can hurt my car with that machine? More importantly,

How do I attach adam's pads to it? Do I need to buy that faceplate, or is that optional? And what is the deal with these counterweights?

Thanks C5!
selleral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Rcfiddy1

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Yes its safe. I am no expert by any means, but found it easy to use and as long as you start off slow and learn what pads to use, it really can't mess up. I never used any type of polisher before and when I did receive the PC I tried it on my 10 year old black trailblazer and it came out AMAZING!!!! If you press to hard it don't spin so you can't hurt the paint. It get very addictive, now I want to detail my wires truck.
You should buy the whole kit with the pads and backing plate. The pads are velcro on the backing plate. Thats the Adams stuff, which is all I know.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-734-a...isher-kit.aspx
If you do go this route get the green pad and severe swirl remover also.
ECS Paxton Novi 1500 Blower Black, Alky Control Meth Injection, LS3 conversion, ECS Blower cam, Trunion upgrade, Vigilante 2800 stall, BMR suspension parts, 3.45 rear, Stainless Works LT headers, BnB fusion ZL1 exhaust, Ridetech Coilovers.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I have personally seen the Junkman hand a PC to a 6 year old girl and let her buff his car. You can't hurt the paint with a PC.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
selleral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I have personally seen the Junkman hand a PC to a 6 year old girl and let her buff his car. You can't hurt the paint with a PC.
I don't know if that makes me feel good or bad
Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
selleral

and what do you do about the curves, edges, lines etc. Is the PC only for flat surfaces??
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt VR/RS CGM Rally's
im 15 and nvr had any experiance with a polisher...i used the pc my car looks great
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
Parapdrapa

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Derail, I wish I had a brand new camaro at 15... Wtf
Parapdrapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
selleral

Right now Amazon has the new PC for 89$ free two day shipping with amazon prime, it seems to be some sort of promotion. Is this actually a really good deal, what did you pay for the new PC?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
camaro2lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapdrapa View Post
Derail, I wish I had a brand new camaro at 15... Wtf

its my dads but i do all the work to it he just pays for it
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
camaro2lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by selleral View Post
Right now Amazon has the new PC for 89$ free two day shipping with amazon prime, it seems to be some sort of promotion. Is this actually a really good deal, what did you pay for the new PC?

i paid like 230 for mine but i got it with all the stuff 90 is a good deal!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
I Just ordered my PC yesterday off Amazon, now is the best time to get one. I am mainly looking forward to buffing/polishing my wheels first until I get comfortable, then I will move onto the car.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
You can get the PC off of amazon, and if you are going to start using Adams products, go to Adams and buy their backing plate and pad kit, its $60 (http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-330-a...g-pad-kit.aspx) or if you don't have their products yet, you can get their Complete Polisher Accessory Kit for another $200 (http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-725-a...ssory-kit.aspx) and get the backing plate/pads AND a set of products to get you off and running!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
I bought the PC and the Adams kit. I did a little spot on my old Tahoe.... and then went straight to my Z06. Even Adams harshest swirl remover takes forever to get the swirls out so you will be fine. It looks so good after the harsh step that I am sure the other 3 steps are not entirely necessary (maybe just do 1 or 2 of those 3).

Stay with a DA (dual action) polisher like the PC, and don't use the harsh swirl remover from McGuiar's, and don't use a wool pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I Just ordered my PC yesterday off Amazon, now is the best time to get one. I am mainly looking forward to buffing/polishing my wheels first until I get comfortable, then I will move onto the car.
Wheels are a pain in the butt with the 6" pads. It slings compound everywhere and seems like it takes forever.

Quote:
This one?
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...5364260&sr=8-1
I paid $120
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
I bought the PC and the Adams kit. I did a little spot on my old Tahoe.... and then went straight to my Z06. Even Adams harshest swirl remover takes forever to get the swirls out so you will be fine. It looks so good after the harsh step that I am sure the other 3 steps are not entirely necessary (maybe just do 1 or 2 of those 3).

Stay with a DA (dual action) polisher like the PC, and don't use the harsh swirl remover from McGuiar's, and don't use a wool pad.

Wheels are a pain in the butt with the 6" pads. It slings compound everywhere and seems like it takes forever.

This one?
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...5364260&sr=8-1
I paid $120

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I can find a headache-free method of polishing and buffing the wheels.
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Adrenaline12

Drives: Synergy Green 2SS
Not to steal the thread... But I just picked up at pc 7424 on craigslist for 75$ woop! not the xp version though will adams pc kit still work for it?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline12 View Post
Not to steal the thread... But I just picked up at pc 7424 on craigslist for 75$ woop! not the xp version though will adams pc kit still work for it?
Yep... anything that works for the XP will work for the older 7424. Primary difference between the 2 machines is the XP is slightly more powerful and they relocated the speed control to a more convenient spot.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
Mark's SS

Drives: 2014 Silverado Double Cab LTZ 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Check out this set for polishing your wheels and other small areas.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-750-a...g-pad-kit.aspx
Attached Images

Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
I've seen junkmans video about how safe the PC 7424xp is, but lets be honest, he's an expert.
You absolutely don't have to be an expert to use the PC... its pretty much the ideal tool for someone with no prior machine polishing experience. Look at it this way... HUNDREDS of guys on this site alone have picked up PC's to polish their camaros with no prior experience. How many threads have you seen about the PC damaging their cars?

Quote:
I have never taken good care of a car before, and my camaro has recently become my baby, even though its only two weeks old. I would love to take great care of it, especially because its black. I think buying that PC is what the move is (unless the Meguiar's one is better?), but I'm just terrified of pressing that crazy spinning machine up against my brand new car! I've never done anything like this before, and know nothing about power tools, or cars!
You're not alone. With the amount of misinformation out there and guys with no experience personally using a machine telling you "it'll mess your car up" who wouldn't be apprehensive? Once you get your hands on one and actually use it, you'll realize that you were worried for no reason. Because the PC simply oscillates (makes the same movement you would by hand, just much faster) rather than rotating its actually a very mild approach to car polishing.

Quote:
Is there any way I can hurt my car with that machine?
Sure... flip it up side down and beat your hood with it or swing it around by the cord with your eyes closed

Honestly, baring complete negligence on your part of some kind of freak accident you're not going to damage a car with a PC.

Quote:
How do I attach adam's pads to it?
Hook and loop velcro backing plate.

Quote:
Do I need to buy that faceplate, or is that optional?
We include the backing plate with all of our kits.

Quote:
And what is the deal with these counterweights?
We include the appropriate counterweight already installed. When you buy a machine from us we ship it to you ready to pull out of the box and use. We also provide a lifetime warranty... so while I can't match $90 at Amazon, I can make it as easy as possible for you to get started and offer you peace of mind that the machine will always be covered against failure or defects.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
selleral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
You absolutely don't have to be an expert to use the PC... its pretty much the ideal tool for someone with no prior machine polishing experience. Look at it this way... HUNDREDS of guys on this site alone have picked up PC's to polish their camaros with no prior experience. How many threads have you seen about the PC damaging their cars?

You're not alone. With the amount of misinformation out there and guys with no experience personally using a machine telling you "it'll mess your car up" who wouldn't be apprehensive? Once you get your hands on one and actually use it, you'll realize that you were worried for no reason. Because the PC simply oscillates (makes the same movement you would by hand, just much faster) rather than rotating its actually a very mild approach to car polishing.

Sure... flip it up side down and beat your hood with it or swing it around by the cord with your eyes closed

Honestly, baring complete negligence on your part of some kind of freak accident you're not going to damage a car with a PC.

Hook and loop velcro backing plate.

We include the backing plate with all of our kits.

We include the appropriate counterweight already installed. When you buy a machine from us we ship it to you ready to pull out of the box and use. We also provide a lifetime warranty... so while I can't match $90 at Amazon, I can make it as easy as possible for you to get started and offer you peace of mind that the machine will always be covered against failure or defects.
Thanks for all of the really helpful responses and taking the time to get me started. I hate to say it, but I'm too poor to buy the PC from adams. I will likely purchase the machine (http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...=1LGBB4AB44EU1) then buy the adam's backing plate, pads, and polishes. Will I need to change any counterweights or do any other alterations if I buy the machine on amazon, but use adam's backing plate and pads?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
I've seen junkmans video about how safe the PC 7424xp is, but lets be honest, he's an expert. I have never taken good care of a car before, and my camaro has recently become my baby, even though its only two weeks old.
Congrats on the new baby!

Quote:
I would love to take great care of it, especially because its black. I think buying that PC is what the move is (unless the Meguiar's one is better?), but I'm just terrified of pressing that crazy spinning machine up against my brand new car
The Meguiar's G110v2 and Porter Cable 7424 XP have near identical specs (orbit size, power, OPM) so between the two it is really a matter of preference. The Meguiar's G110v2 has a more accurate (linear) speed setting and a slow start feature, as well as a rubberized body.

The other option in a RO polisher is the Griot's Garage 6 Inch Professional Polisher. This machine has more power than the both the Meguiar's and Porter Cable units.

Quote:
I've never done anything like this before, and know nothing about power tools, or cars! Is there any way I can hurt my car with that machine? More importantly,
Here is the truth. Polishing paint means that you are removing paint. Think of swirl marks and scratches like peaks and valleys in a mountain range. They way you eliminate the swirl marks is by removing all of the paint that is around & above the swirl mark.

The clear coat on your Camaro is around 2 mils (2/1000ths) of an inch thick. Over the life of the car, the manufacturer doesn't recommend removing more than 20% of this clear coat (4/10000ths of an inch) to maintain adequate UV protection. The clear coat is very much like a sun block for the base (black color) coat underneath. If you remove too much clear you will experience a higher rate of sun fading.

So back to the question. Is polishing your paint safe? If you are properly educated and have some basis of understanding, then you have very little to worry about. PBMG, the parent company of Autopia-CarCare.com has been selling all forums of machine polishers since 2002, and we sell 1000s and 1000s a year. There are almost zero reports of paint damage.

Polish your paint to remove the swirl marks, then maintain the finish using a careful wash regimen (at avoid putting swirl marks in the paint) and you have nothing to worry about).

Quote:
How do I attach adam's pads to it? Do I need to buy that faceplate, or is that optional? And what is the deal with these counterweights?

Thanks C5!
The backing plate, which is the proper name for the piece that attaches to pad to the Porter cable, simply screws into the Porter Cable. They are available in different sizes to mate to different sized pads. Most pads use a standard hook and loop attachment.

As far as the counterweight, it doesn't matter. Porter Cables were originally designed for use as wood sanders, so the counter weights are sized to using sanding discs (not foam polishing pads). When using a sanding disc the effects of the counterweight are more noticeable because it is a hard surface. A foam polishing pad acts like a dampener, so the difference absorbed.

Quote:
and what do you do about the curves, edges, lines etc. Is the PC only for flat surfaces??
On curved you simply want to follow the curve with the machine.

As far as polishing an edge that has a horizontal surface that is mated to a vertical surface (sharp 90 edge) as long as you keep the pad flat on the panel you are polishing you are fine. You can over lap the edge no problem. However if you polish the edge directly then you can quickly remove the paint on the edge (even with a Porter Cable).

For small and tight areas, switch to smaller (3 or 4 inch pads) and a smaller backing plate.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
I did mine last Saturday with a PC and Adams products - have never used a machine polisher before. Watch the videos several times - then start slow - if you start to doubt yourself, check the video or hit the forum.
Attached Images

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
Haole
My K9 partner and me

Drives: 10 IOM SS
Not meaning to change topic, but what is the difference between the PC and Griot's 6" polisher?
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #23
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
You can't go wrong with a PC, but if it makes you feel better about using it, you should take a swirled up black car to practice on. That's what I did when I started and I can say I am pretty good with it now.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #24
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Well you got us.......the entire detailing world has been involved in a conspiracy to make you believe the PC is safe on your paint so you will purchase one and destroy your car. Now that the word is out, I guess we can all find something else to do.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraves View Post
Well you got us.......the entire detailing world has been involved in a conspiracy to make you believe the PC is safe on your paint so you will purchase one and destroy your car. Now that the word is out, I guess we can all find something else to do.
So its not safe, have you had a bad experience?