Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts Sportbar
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Haole
My K9 partner and me

Drives: 10 IOM SS
Griots 6" random orbital

I have a question. Today I went to pick up some blackfire sealant and got to talking about the pc. The owner suggested and even let me test the griots polisher.
So here is my question; had anyone have any advice on these polishers? Forgive my ignorance in advance, I have never used a machine, always done everything by hand.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Fiveg56

Drives: 2014 Mustang 67B
I don't think orbital polishers are good for beginners.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Yes, it's a great machine to use and you can apply BFWD with a Red Pad from LC on speed 3 on it.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
I have a question. Today I went to pick up some blackfire sealant and got to talking about the pc. The owner suggested and even let me test the griots polisher.
So here is my question; had anyone have any advice on these polishers? Forgive my ignorance in advance, I have never used a machine, always done everything by hand.
The Griot's Garage 6 inch, Porter Cable 7242 XP, and Meguiar's G110v2 fit into a category called Random Orbital Dual Action Polishers.

These polishers work by moving the pad in a tiny little orbit, similar to how the Earth orbits the sun or how you apply wax when you "wax on/wax off". The pad will also spin, but this is do the inertia created by the tiny orbits. The machine does not directly drive the spinning motion, it is created by physics.

This means that these types of machines are very safe because they don't create a lot of heat on the paint's surface.

Of three RO-DA Polishers, the Griot's has the most power and a lifetime warranty. There is no other style of polisher that is safer for paint, what you want to (perhaps) avoid is a rotary polisher.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
jshaf

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I have the 6" griots DA polisher, use it all over the car, even the wheels with an adapter and focus pads. it's a great time saver and the results are far beyond anything you can do by hand. worth every cent IMO
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Haole
My K9 partner and me

Drives: 10 IOM SS
Thank you all for your advice/input. I'm very anxious to strip and clay my car then apply my Backfire products. Just waiting to get the polish. As I posted in other threads I have the carnuba and the paint protection already just need to get my polish and a few days to complete my car.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Fiveg56

Drives: 2014 Mustang 67B
Todd...thanks for the information on this....I didn't realize that a random orbital was what the PC is called....I was confusing orbital with rotary.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Todd...thanks for the information on this....I didn't realize that a random orbital was what the PC is called....I was confusing orbital with rotary.
Totally understandable!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Thank you all for your advice/input. I'm very anxious to strip and clay my car then apply my Backfire products. Just waiting to get the polish. As I posted in other threads I have the carnuba and the paint protection already just need to get my polish and a few days to complete my car.
Sticking with the BLACKFIRE polishes, you have two options.

1) BLACKFIRE SRC Compound- This is a moderately aggressive polish that will remove swirl marks and heavier imperfections such as water etching, sand marks, and RIDS (random isolated deeper scatches). I would use with the an orange/light cutting pad

2) BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish- This is a light polish that will remove light swirl marks/towel marks, and dramatically increase the clarity of the finish. I would use this with a white polishing foam pad.

Both BLACKFIRE polishes use technology originally developed for German automotive manufacturers for use on the assembly line of some of the most premium automotive brands.

It's hard to know exactly which polish is going to work for your application, but generally start with the least aggressive method possible, which would be BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish and a white pad. If this doesn't provide enough cut then use the BLACKFIRE SRC Compound with an orange pad.

The SRC Compound/Orange pad will leave a really nice finish if you need to use it, but you can often increase the shine even more by following up with the Finishing Polish/White pad.

The contain no fillers, glazes, silicones, or waxes.