Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Mr. Unassailable
 
Mr. Unassailable's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 569
ZL1 Wheel Weight?

I am in love with the zl1 wheels. Anyone have a weight on them? I'd love to drop a few pounds of rotating mass from each corner and upgrade the appearance.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Garage: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2004 S60R GT, 2008 F250
Mr. Unassailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,817
I did a bunch of research on this and all I could find was that the wheel and tire weight are 22 lbs lighter than a stock SS set up. So, knowing what the SS wheels/tires weigh and knowing what the Goodyear Supercar G2 tires weigh, I calculated that the black ten spokes alone should weigh about 110.6 lbs. That comes down to 55.3 lbs for a front and rear wheel together.

I'm guessing the front is about 27.3 lbs and the rears about 28 lbs. Almost exactly what a set of F14 weigh in similar sizes.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Nine Ball



 
Nine Ball's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 & 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,842
It is also important to note that only the black ZL1 wheels are the lighter set. The silver ZL1 wheels weigh more, from what I've been told.

Anyone with a ZL1 and a bathroom scale?
__________________

www.DV8Motoring.com
Forged Wheels & Customs
PM's disabled, please email Tony(at)DV8motoring.com for quicker response.
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Zyklon-SS
 
Zyklon-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Port Credit -ON
Posts: 548
Zyklon-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
I am in love with the zl1 wheels. Anyone have a weight on them? I'd love to drop a few pounds of rotating mass from each corner and upgrade the appearance.

Thanks in advance.
Black wheels w/ tires on are 59 front and 60 rear...
Attached Images
  
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
NinoSS

 
Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Black wheels w/ tires on are 59 front and 60 rear...
Nice...
__________________
Vengeance stage I cam (442rwhp/412rwtq) / CAI intake w/ADM race scoop / Dynatech LT's / ATI udp / JRE tuned / Eaton Posi LPE-JRE 3.91's / L99 Corsa / Whiteline Sways & Bushings / UMI Trailing Arms & Toe Rods / ZL1 wheels / NT05 275/315
NinoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
SIMSS
 
Drives: SIM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Va
Posts: 111
I just searched the stock SS wheel and tire weight from this forum and it seems that the stock wheel and tire weight for the front tires are 62.3 lbs and the rears are
68 lbs. That's 8 lbs lighter in each rear wheel with the ZL1 setup and it's with 305/35/20 tires.

Going by the above ZL1 wheels being weighed on a scale, that's a total of 22.6 lbs of rotating mass eliminated from the stock setup and the ZL1 10 spoke wheels look amazing. Now I know why everyone seems to want these wheels.
SIMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMSS View Post
I just searched the stock SS wheel and tire weight from this forum and it seems that the stock wheel and tire weight for the front tires are 62.3 lbs and the rears are
68 lbs. That's 8 lbs lighter in each rear wheel with the ZL1 setup and it's with 305/35/20 tires.

Going by the above ZL1 wheels being weighed on a scale, that's a total of 22.6 lbs of rotating mass eliminated from the stock setup and the ZL1 10 spoke wheels look amazing. Now I know why everyone seems to want these wheels.
Most nice Forged wheels will get you that.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
tsnow
 
tsnow's Avatar
 
Drives: 12' ZL1, AGM 6M
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 49th state
Posts: 221
Weighed my polished ZL1 5 spokes with tires,

61 lbs frt
61.5 lbs rear


Tony, I'll be in touch for my drag setup, going with 18" Forgestars.
tsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I did a bunch of research on this and all I could find was that the wheel and tire weight are 22 lbs lighter than a stock SS set up. So, knowing what the SS wheels/tires weigh and knowing what the Goodyear Supercar G2 tires weigh, I calculated that the black ten spokes alone should weigh about 110.6 lbs. That comes down to 55.3 lbs for a front and rear wheel together.

I'm guessing the front is about 27.3 lbs and the rears about 28 lbs. Almost exactly what a set of F14 weigh in similar sizes.


Yes, I believe the black ZL1 wheels weigh 27 - 28 lbs per wheel. Pretty much right in line with Forgestar F14s of equal size.
The polished ZL1 wheels are heavier (by a few pounds per wheel if I remember correctly).
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
Mr. Unassailable
 
Mr. Unassailable's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS MT, 2010 SHO, 2004 S60R
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 569
I ended up going with I different setup because I wanted to try out the NT05R 315 Drag Radials (to wide for stock wheels, and didn't want to drop the dough on ZL1s incase I didn't like it).
66lbs in the rear with a 315. RT7M Falken (cheap) wheels.

I do love the 315s. They weigh 33Lbs (wheels also weigh 33).

I think with my current set up I dropped about 7lbs off the front and 4lbs off the rear from the 20" RS wheels. One day I'll get tired of these and will still likely buy the ZL1 wheels in black.

I have grown to like these wheels for now.






- Clayton. Official C5Fail4 hater.
__________________
Garage: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2004 S60R GT, 2008 F250
Mr. Unassailable is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.