Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Matic

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
HELP! Aftermarket door speakers ?

Anybody who has replaced the stock front speakers with aftermarket...

I was reading a DIY thread and the guy said you need to buy a subthump housing for the 6.5's for the door, because the factory speakers are sealed in the plastic housing and cannot be removed without damaging the housing.

Is this the case? I have an install scheduled for Monday, so I gotta figure out if this is true or if there is any way the audio shop has a workaround or has a housing they can use.

I guess worst case scenario I can have them install the scosche kit, double din and the rears and leave the factory door speakers in until the new housing comes in.

do the 6 x 9's require a housing too or do they sit flush in the rear deck?

Thanks
Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
You need the adapters. Have them wait on the doors and do it yourself, it takes like 15 mins to do each side. It is really really easy to do. Just follow the DIY post on it and it is a walk in the park. So go order the parts and wait for them to come in and DIY. I replaced my doors and rears. The rears are tougher because you have to take out the back seat and side panels.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
Matic

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
Thanks for letting me know, just ordered them.

My only concern with doing them myself is once I get the coax's installed, I dont want any sound coming out of the factory tweeter. I would be running my coax's off the double din (until I get an amp at a later date). Would I just be able to detatch the plug from the factory tweeters to do this? And in doing so, will i be getting the full wattage to the coax's in the front door, or would some of it still be dedicated to the tweeters?

As you can tell, Im quite the novice with all of this car audio stuff. Ive always had others do my stuff because ive always been scared to F something up.
Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
If youre taking your car to a stereo shop they should be able to make an adaptor out of mdf or plexiglass within minutes. I just made some for an Impala SS today on a Hertz install.
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
Double D Mods

Drives: 2012 Grand Sport Convertible Vette
Scosche also sells an adapter for the front components as well.
Double D Mods is offline   Reply With Quote