Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Putting CarPro's TRIX to the the test! Paint and Wheel Decontamination

[COLOR="Navy"]

Detailing Clay is used and loved for a great reason. It removes any bonded contamination that has adhered to the paint and restores a glossy appearance and smooth feel. Some paint contamination, such as iron oxide (rust) fall out (aka rail dust) actually penetrates below the surface of the paint and cannot be removed by regular clay bar applications.

Rail dust is also extremely abrasive and can greatly increase the risk of marring the paint finish as it becomes inbedded into the clay's surface.

CarPro, a company who has quickly gained a strong following in the United States for its high quality Ceramic Coating (C-Quartz) has a large selection of innovative products designed to complement car care. One of these products, a true, game changer, is their Iron-X Series of paint decontamination cleansers.

As pictured above, CarPro's ever expanding line of car care products features 5 dedicated paint cleansing solutions. The products are pH balanced and acid free!

From Left-to-Right:

Iron X Paste- Iron X Paste is a hyper concentrated version of Iron X Iron Remover. This paste is excellent for cleaning areas of particularly stubborn contamination as well as wheels/rims with heavy caked on brake dust build up.

Iron X Soap Gel- Iron X Soap Gel combines a high lubricity cleaning soap with some anti-iron Iron X ingredients. This is a mild iron cleaner that is perfectly suited for maintenance washes and mild iron fallout clean up.

Iron X Trigger Spray- Iron X Trigger Spray is a powerful iron remover that you simply mist on to the paint and allow to dwell. Iron shavings will turn purple as the solution dissolves them, above and below the surface.

TRIX - CarPro TRIX is a combination of TaR x and Iron X, hence the name. It works to remove iron fall out as well as clean bug splatter, tar, and adhesive residue from the paint, in one step.

Tar X- CarPro Tar X is CarPro's innovative, citrus based bug and tar remover. This unique chemical features 'green tracers' that show you, in neon fashion, where this chemical has been applied to the paint so you chart its progress.

I plan on detailing every product in the CarPro Line Up (It's a hard job, somebody has to do it!).

Here is the first review I did, on CarPro Iron X & CarPro Iron X Soap:
Camaro5-Deep Clean your Paint with CarPro

I really wanted to see how well CarPro TR.IX (combination of bug/tar removing powers of Tar X and the Iron removing abilities of Iron X) to the test. We already know how well they work at removing contamination from paint.

The wheels on my Mazdaspeed3 had not been cleaned in some time and the brake dust was starting to bake/cake on.

Additionally there were some tar deposits in the barrels of the wheels, behind the spokes, and on the wheel well lip.

CarPro recommends that TRIX should be shaken frequently for maximum effect.

I started by spraying liberal amount over the surface of the wheel and behind the spokes.

The effect was almost immediate. CarPro TRIX began to change colors almost instantly, turning a deep purple as it dissolved the iron.

With in thirty seconds of spray the face of the wheel was running in purple.

To agitate the solution I filled a BLACKFIRE 5 gallon bucket with water and used my several year old Wheel Woolie.

Now I am fanatic about my paint and I am a fanatic about my wheels. The Wheel Woolie is made form extremely soft, electrified lamb's wool. It will not scratch or dull the wheel's finish. Best of all it allows easy access to the face of the spokes...

The barrels of the wheels...

behind the spokes...

Since CarPro TRIX did an amazing job disolving the iron fall of the brake dust, the combination of the Wheel Woolie and water made cleaning the wheel extremely easy. The afixed brake grime ran off with the gentlest touch.

I used the bucket to rinse out the Wheel Woolie and prevent scratching the wheel surface.

A quick rinse of water left the wheels sparking clean.

Now to test the tar and bug residue power of TRIX.

I spray a liberal coat (after shaking) onto the painted area of the wheel well.

After 20 second of dwell time.

After 1 minute the tar had begun to soften and run.

I used a Wheel Woolie and water to lightly agitate the tar, then rinsed clean.

Finally I dried the wheel with a All Purpose & Wheel Microfiber Towel. These towels are definitely soft enough to use on paint (remember I am a fanatic) but color coded for wheel duty.

The end results.

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Great write up there, everyone needs to look into these products and the " Wheel Woolies ", these brushes work so well and won't scratch your rims at all.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Great write up there, everyone needs to look into these products and the " Wheel Woolies ", these brushes work so well and won't scratch your rims at all.
Agreed!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
nice
Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Thumbs up for the Wheel Woolie. I get the same effortless results cleaning our Camaro rims using nothing more than a cap full of Z7 in a gallon of water.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Thumbs up for the Wheel Woolie. I get the same effortless results cleaning our Camaro rims using nothing more than a cap full of Z7 in a gallon of water.
Once your wheels are clean, then regular use of a car soap works great.

Over time (just as your paint get contaminated) your wheels get even more contaminated. Periodic "deep cleaning" with a clay bar or a decontamination spray will go a long way towards keeping wheels looking great.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I just got some Iron X and plan on using it after my coast to coast drive across country, I'm really interested in the bug remover though - it sounds great! I was just planning on taking detail spray and a microfiber cloth with me to wipe off bugs as they splat - any better suggestion of something that will travel easily that I can pick up easily (I leave in 1 week).
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
I just got some Iron X and plan on using it after my coast to coast drive across country, I'm really interested in the bug remover though - it sounds great! I was just planning on taking detail spray and a microfiber cloth with me to wipe off bugs as they splat - any better suggestion of something that will travel easily that I can pick up easily (I leave in 1 week).
I think your best bet, given the limitations, is going to be to substitute a quick detailer for a waterless wash. A waterless wash is going to give you more lubricity than a quick detailer (which is going to help you remove the bugs with out scratching the paint).

In the case of BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash, it actually uses the same polymers in the paint sealants as a cleaning agent. The polymers attach to the paint and to the grime, so it acts as a buffer between abrasion. Even better, it adds a little protection to the paint as you wipe it away (because it cures).

If you don't have time to order, Meguiar's offers a product called Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere which may be available in some box stores.