Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #197
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Exactly... People do it everyday. Some intakes seem to be worth more used than others... It's not uncommon to get 75%+ of your money back from selling your used intake.
I wouldn't pay 75% of new for used, unless I wasn't paying attention I sure have taken a beating when selling used stuff, just the way it is.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #198
Jason@JacFab
www.jacfab.com

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I wouldn't pay 75% of new for used, unless I wasn't paying attention I sure have taken a beating when selling used stuff, just the way it is.
It was just a best case scenario example of one particular intake that retails for $399 that it seems people are successfully selling them used for $300 to $350 if they are in exceptionally nice shape. If you have a less popular intake, odds are you're going to take a bigger hit on it.

If the demand for color options are there I will still offer them, but they would be at an additional cost, and potentially be a done on a made to order basis, which may be a 1-2 week lead time similar to another manufacturer. The idea behind eliminating the color options is eliminating the additional lead time, and keeping the intake under a certain price range. If I can eliminate the silver powder coat base option, it could potentially reduce overall out of pocket cost for the intake by not having to have black and silver coated boxes on the shelf and will hopefully allow for cost of the next improvement I'm working on to be included in the intake cost without breaking the bank to the consumer.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2016 Camaro 1LT RS; NGM; 2.0T A8.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #199
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
thanks Racn,,that was ans. i was wondering about..
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #200
RyanBoles

Drives: 2010 2SS
Im cool with black if I need it a different color I can do it myself, im ready to see this bad boy in action!
RyanBoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #201
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Any updates? Holding off on my CAI purchase until this is released.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #202
Jason@JacFab
www.jacfab.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Any updates? Holding off on my CAI purchase until this is released.
Not really... Parts to build the first units are still slowly rolling in, still a few weeks to go waiting on the silicone intake tube.

The next big change I was leading up to is that I have decided to insulate the inside of the intake box... With silicone. While waiting for the few major pieces that are made out of house, I have done quite a bit of research (as usual), on what the best way to insulate the intake air box with a silicone "jacket"... After much searching, and deliberation, I feel the best way to do it is to do it in house. I am currently working on designing a "pour mold" so that the silicone insulation jackets can be poured in house.

A bonus of the silicone insulation is that it can be over-sized. The silicone insulation jacket will stick out past the edge of the aluminum airbox appx 3/8"-7/16" and double as an effective seal to keep unwanted hot air out of the intake air box. As an added bonus to this decision to this, any area that couldn't be sealed previously from the aluminum airbox and bulb-seal edge trim due to difficulty of installation, or flat out just wouldn't fit/work, can now easily be blocked off with the silicone insulation jacket, essentially keeping even more hot air out... While to completely seal off as much as possible is simply impossible with the aluminum airbox, the silicone insulation can simply be pulled back for the box installation, and pushed back in to place once the box is installed to maximize the airbox seal.

Something else I would like to point out is that from the tube & box intakes I have had, the JacFab box has more "sealing area" than any I have had so far... The intake almost completely seals against the core support area of the car where as most others do not. The better the air box can seal, means less hot engine compartment air will get pulled through the intake. I understand the factory air scoop is utilized in many of these intakes that don't completely seal off that area... I have chosen to change it's application... By completely sealing off that area of the air box, the incoming air from that scoop, essentially turns into an air conditioner for the MAF/IAT sensor... Drive around for an hour, pop the hood, and the front of the V-stack/filter clamp piece, which coincidentally is where the MAF/IAT is located, is stone cold... It's a dual purpose intake! Redirect cold air to the MAF/IAT, to keep readings super cool, as well as seal off as much hot air as possible...

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #203
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
I can appreciate trying to seal off as many gaps as you can but looking at the IAT's from Teds test shows that several of them don't suffer from not sealing every little nook and cranny. If you're at ambient, you can't get any colder. Adding more work and cost to the intake for what appears to be no gain will cut greatly into your profit magin.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #204
Jason@JacFab
www.jacfab.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I can appreciate trying to seal off as many gaps as you can but looking at the IAT's from Teds test shows that several of them don't suffer from not sealing every little nook and cranny. If you're at ambient, you can't get any colder. Adding more work and cost to the intake for what appears to be no gain will cut greatly into your profit magin.
I'm not going to get into dissecting the above mentioned testing, I think it has it's own flaws, probably as much as other people have deemed my own testing has flaws... I completely understand that ambient is ambient, my main concern is staying at as close to ambient as long as possible, not 15 seconds at a time. The majority of my testing is REAL WORLD testing... Every day driving... Stop lights, stop signs, traffic, etc... I've had his "highly recommended" intake, and it did not impress me in prolonged traffic situations, or even optimal situations. I've also procured several others for testing... Why? To learn from their pitfalls, of course.

While yes, I DO understand that every improvement I make to my intake cuts into my "profit margin", however I think that you might have missed the point I'm not out to get rich on any of the products that I offer to the Camaro community. I'm fairly certain I have mentioned that before, but perhaps I haven't. I am not a giant company. JacFab is a small family owned/operated company. I/We take thinking outside the box, and trying to make something better than the next guy very seriously.

I am more than willing to sacrifice making a bit of money to make a better product, and I don't recall ever saying my product is better than the next guy's... I just point out why I do what I do, and how it works.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #205
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
I'm not going to get into dissecting the above mentioned testing, I think it has it's own flaws, probably as much as other people have deemed my own testing has flaws... I completely understand that ambient is ambient, my main concern is staying at as close to ambient as long as possible, not 15 seconds at a time. The majority of my testing is REAL WORLD testing... Every day driving... Stop lights, stop signs, traffic, etc... I've had his "highly recommended" intake, and it did not impress me in prolonged traffic situations, or even optimal situations. I've also procured several others for testing... Why? To learn from their pitfalls, of course.

While yes, I DO understand that every improvement I make to my intake cuts into my "profit margin", however I think that you might have missed the point I'm not out to get rich on any of the products that I offer to the Camaro community. I'm fairly certain I have mentioned that before, but perhaps I haven't. I am not a giant company. JacFab is a small family owned/operated company. I/We take thinking outside the box, and trying to make something better than the next guy very seriously.

I am more than willing to sacrifice making a bit of money to make a better product, and I don't recall ever saying my product is better than the next guy's... I just point out why I do what I do, and how it works.
I'm not saying anything bad about anything you're doing and i'm not implying you short yourself or anyone that will buy your intake. I just know how making a product works and you can nitpik your product to death to the point that there's ZERO profit margin or you have to jack the price up so much to make even a buck. I never said you were trying to get rich off this endeavor but there's no reason for you to give it away either. Especially if it performs as well as you say. I also never said that Ted said it was this or that. I just used the IAT numbers he logged, that seemed to have held true throughtout two rounds of testing. If you seal off the engine bay the best you can, that's all you can really do. Hot engine and radiator air is going to seep under and around the front of the car to get into your "fresh air" holes when you're at a stop light or staging lane. There's no way around it. If your box seals as good as you say without the added product, you're doing better than most of the ones on the market already. Seeing how anal you can be about your testing, I have no reason to doubt that it does.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #206
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:

And with THAT, I will patiently await to purchase the finished product of your CAI!
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #207
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Any updates?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #208
RyanBoles

Drives: 2010 2SS
Before Christmas?!?!
RyanBoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #209
Jason@JacFab
www.jacfab.com

The mold pieces for the silicone insulation jacket are due to be cut out next week, hopefully the mold will be finished and I will be attempting to pour the first pieces late next week.

Still waiting on the silicone tubes, but I do not think the changes between the silicone intake tube prototypes and the production tube will be enough to "make a large" difference in performance as far as the shape of the tube is concerned. I've decided that I am going to ship the first test unit to to the St. Louis location tester with the prototype silicone tube and start getting some outside opinions on it. I'm hoping to ship it the week after next assuming the insulation thing goes well, and after checking fitment of the box with a couple of changes I have made to make sure all is well.

I will build another silicone tube prototype and ship the second intake to Lethal Racing shortly after the first one ships.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #210
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
Update??

Tags
cai, dyno, intake, jacfab, velocity