Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #273
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
JacFab, that CAI looks really good.
It is a real appealing design.

I'm sure it only needs a little bit of tweaking. Just a thought here; Having a velocity stack exit so close to the MAF sensor without an airflow screen can be a real challenge when it comes to consistent readings. Maybe your idea of moving the MAF sensor farther downstream make the difference.

It may be tough to make changes if you find that this intake is still in the low single digit fuel trim range on your car.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #274
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
It is a real appealing design.

I'm sure it only needs a little bit of tweaking. Just a thought here; Having a velocity stack exit so close to the MAF sensor without an airflow screen can be a real challenge when it comes to consistent readings. Maybe your idea of moving the MAF sensor farther downstream make the difference.

It may be tough to make changes if you find that this intake is still in the low single digit fuel trim range on your car.
Unless i'm mistaken, that's the same problem VR had. Their MAF was so close to their inlet, the air didn't have time to smooth out before it was read by the MAF. Once they added the screen, driveablity was considerably better. They didn't have the option to move it further down the tube though.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #275
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
GM claims a minimum of 3" of straight pipe before the MAF to get proper readings or in the middle of a 6" section of straight pipe.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #276
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Any developments? Apparently my Camaro will get here sooner rather than later... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279302 ... the promise this intake shows has me quite interested and I'm willing to wait a reasonable amount of time for it to hit the market. So I can get one.

Thanks for all your efforts.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #277
Jason@JacFab
www.jacfab.com

Drives: 2010 1SS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Any developments? Apparently my Camaro will get here sooner rather than later... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279302 ... the promise this intake shows has me quite interested and I'm willing to wait a reasonable amount of time for it to hit the market. So I can get one.

Thanks for all your efforts.
I am currently working on designing a new MAF mount that will work with the silicone tube and should have a prototype in my hands late next week or mid the following week, then back on the car to test fueling again. If it's good, on to mold making and having pieces produced.

Unfortunately, I will probably have to dyno it again when the new configuration.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket 1st AND 3rd owner!
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #278
Firefighter

So a few more weeks for solid info? Well that seems like a reasonable rate of progression. Keep up the good fight man.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Old 03-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #279
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
I like how you are taking your time and trying to get everything right. You should have a fine product when you are done.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #280
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2006 Corvette DSOM, '13 Equinox CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989GTA View Post
I like how you are taking your time and trying to get everything right. You should have a fine product when you are done.

Not a Camaro but it works for now!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #281
Jason@JacFab
www.jacfab.com

Well... If they have problems, it will get around like wild fire. I figure I'd rather make it right the first time before they start going out... Only one shot to get it right.

Looking back now, I probably should have waited another 6-8 months before announcing it, but I didn't think it would take this long.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket 1st AND 3rd owner!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #282
Jason@JacFab
www.jacfab.com

Well the winning name entry has been chosen, and from here on out the intake shall be referred to as "Cold Rush". Congrats to Lee B. for submitting the winning name!

As far as updates go, the latest and greatest is pictured below. In theory this should solve the fueling problems and eliminate the reported drive-ability issues related to MAF placement. Measurements are based off of the stock tubular MAF mount section of the stock air box. The MAF mounts in the center of a 6" section of tube... I was hoping to have the first couple prototypes in hand this week, but I'm told I should get them next Tuesday now.

I'm hoping I can hone one out little by little and achieve the desired AFR and retain the drive-ability, and stable MAF readings, so we'll see what happens. The idea is that the silicone intake tube can be split, and either side will slide over this MAF mount up to the stop ring in the center. This will allow the MAF to be mounted in a rigid section of tube that won't flex like just the silicone tube would, yet almost the whole MAF mount piece will be insulated by the silicone tube material and ultimately keep the hot engine compartment air from tampering with the IAT readings.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 03-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #283
IndeedSS1

Cold Rush.

She is only memory now.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #284
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2006 Corvette DSOM, '13 Equinox CRT
Congrats Lee for the winning name! The MAF housing looks promising and makes sense that it should be in a rigid type of mount! Good luvck with the testing!

Not a Camaro but it works for now!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #285
Firefighter

Nice name and nice update. I'm wanting this intake. Your logic makes alot of sense to me. It seems like how I would make one if I had the time, money and resources.

I hope it all works out Jason I'm holding out for one of these. Thanks for all your efforts.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #286
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Well the winning name entry has been chosen, and from here on out the intake shall be referred to as "Cold Rush". Congrats to Lee B. for submitting the winning name!
Just because you'd have to make the tube 12in longer to fit my submitted name on it doesn't mean you shouldn't have chosen it. I feel cheated.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #287
Jason@JacFab
www.jacfab.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Just because you'd have to make the tube 12in longer to fit my submitted name on it doesn't mean you shouldn't have chosen it. I feel cheated.
Well if it makes you feel any better, someone by the name of "Joe Biden" also entered and did not win, despite his possible "celebrity", or "High end" status... Although I really got a kick out of the name "Monica" that he submitted, I didn't feel that it would be appropriate

Old 03-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #288
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Well if it makes you feel any better, someone by the name of "Joe Biden" also entered and did not win, despite his possible "celebrity", or "High end" status... Although I really got a kick out of the name "Monica" that he submitted, I didn't feel that it would be appropriate
Didn't know Bill was pimpin her out. Hell, I need to make a call.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #289
IndeedSS1

Quote:

As far as updates go, the latest and greatest is pictured below. In theory this should solve the fueling problems and eliminate the reported drive-ability issues related to MAF placement. Measurements are based off of the stock tubular MAF mount section of the stock air box. The MAF mounts in the center of a 6" section of tube... I was hoping to have the first couple prototypes in hand this week, but I'm told I should get them next Tuesday now.

I'm hoping I can hone one out little by little and achieve the desired AFR and retain the drive-ability, and stable MAF readings, so we'll see what happens. The idea is that the silicone intake tube can be split, and either side will slide over this MAF mount up to the stop ring in the center. This will allow the MAF to be mounted in a rigid section of tube that won't flex like just the silicone tube would, yet almost the whole MAF mount piece will be insulated by the silicone tube material and ultimately keep the hot engine compartment air from tampering with the IAT readings.
I didn't see that second picture the first time I saw the post although your description painted the picture just like shown. It Should work very well.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 03-09-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Tags
cai, dyno, intake, jacfab, velocity