Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
Question Syncing USB Flash Drive

I just got a 16GB USB Flash drive to put all my music on so I can listen to it in my ss. I dragged the iTunes folder over and it is copying now but it's taking about 30 minutes. Question is, how do I add new songs when I get them? Is there any easier way of doing this? Ideally I would like it to sync like an iPod but I don't know if that is possible. Also when I do the drag method, it doesn't have the same song names as in my iTunes...such as "03" before the title and all different things before the song name... I have a macbook pro by the way. Thanks!
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
PonyKiller74

Drives: 2012 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to PonyKiller74 Send a message via Yahoo to PonyKiller74
I would rather keep the music on your iPod and when you get new music it would be easier to sync it to your computer and manage your music that way. If you have an IPhone or iPod touch with Blu-tooth, you can sync it to the radio. Press the Aux button on your car radio and then hit the menu button. It should give you an option to sync blu-tooth device and just follow what it asks you. Make sure to turn blu-tooth on your phone to discoverable. It's really easy. That way you can stream from any music source on it. iPod, pandora, whatever.

Hope this helps you
Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
stt816

I don't have an iPod though and I noticed that aux doesn't come in as good as USB, at least on my android...that's why i decided to get a flash drive..I saw a lot of people doing it on this site
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
monte1214

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
- I was reading this thread while I was at work, and thought that I would try this when I got home.
- So I managed to load my 600 plus songs onto the USB and plugged it in...FRIGGIN AWESOME!!

- My only question...is there any way to go "Random" or is it just start at the 1st song and go from there?
- I can only scroll through the song list by spinning the dial on the radio. No steering wheel controls can do it??
monte1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
stt816

you can push menu while on the usb mode. There is a setting for shuffling. It will only shuffle after indexing is complete though, which is about 1 minute after you turn on the car for me....you can switch the songs the same way you switch a radio station...anyone have an answer for me....
Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
monte1214

Ok thanks STT.
How many songs do you have on your stick?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
I did this also. Have thousands on the STICK lol. PITA that it indexes everytime you turn the car off and on though since it takes forever.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
monte1214

- Maybe that's what I'm doign wrong then?
- Not waiting long enough for it to index the songs?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE View Post
I did this also. Have thousands on the STICK lol. PITA that it indexes everytime you turn the car off and on though since it takes forever.
the problem may exast with your PDIM module. there is a TSB thats been out there for a while. I found the thread about it here, downloaded the TSB, took it to the dealer, they got teh new updated PDIM, installed it under warrantee and havn't had an issue with the USB ever since. here is teh TSB and at teh top is teh part # you need to ensire they order to get the LATEST adn GREATEST part.

PI0055B with GM PN#.pdf

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 04-30-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Pur3vil

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stt816 View Post
I just got a 16GB USB Flash drive to put all my music on so I can listen to it in my ss. I dragged the iTunes folder over and it is copying now but it's taking about 30 minutes. Question is, how do I add new songs when I get them? Is there any easier way of doing this? Ideally I would like it to sync like an iPod but I don't know if that is possible. Also when I do the drag method, it doesn't have the same song names as in my iTunes...such as "03" before the title and all different things before the song name... I have a macbook pro by the way. Thanks!
I'm not sure if the macbook pro will throw a monkey wrench in this or not, but what I do with my PC is I keep all of my mp3 files outside of iTunes so that I know where they are and how they're organized, since iTunes likes to do its own thing with the files. I then just copy over the files or folders to my flash drive, and import them into iTunes for syncing with my iPod 160GB. I usually use the iPod to avoid the indexing issues, but I keep a flash drive in the car in case I don't have my iPod on me and don't feel like streaming Pandora over bluetooth.

As far as the song titles, I use an ID3 tag editor to set the properties of my files. I set all available versions of the ID3 tags and it seems to work. I've used WinAmp or some windows 7 os plug-in to edit the ID3 tags. Like I said, I'm not sure what tools are available for doing something similar on the mac, but I'm sure that there's something.
Pur3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
the problem may exast with your PDIM module. there is a TSB thats been out there for a while. I found the thread about it here, downloaded the TSB, took it to the dealer, they got teh new updated PDIM, installed it under warrantee and havn't had an issue with the USB ever since. here is teh TSB and at teh top is teh part # you need to ensire they order to get the LATEST adn GREATEST part.

Attachment 365237

Thanks Sir Nuke. Ive known about this but never really bothered with it since I never used my USB drive till recently. I always just played CD's since they have the best sound quality. But carring around all the CD's got old so Im using the USB drive now. Ill go see my dealer soon. Thanks again for the reminder
Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
My iPhone4 sounds like crap (sound quality dull, not staticy, just dull) over bluetooth compared to plugged in via USB or compared to the USB flashdrive option. I hardly ever bother connecting via bluetooth anymore. I however can not place music from iTunes onto the flashdrive because those are M4A format and the flashdrive only does mp3 and AAC IIRC. How are you guys getting your stereos to read M4A files through a flashdrive?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
My iPhone4 sounds like crap (sound quality dull, not staticy, just dull) over bluetooth compared to plugged in via USB or compared to the USB flashdrive option. I hardly ever bother connecting via bluetooth anymore. I however can not place music from iTunes onto the flashdrive because those are M4A format and the flashdrive only does mp3 and AAC IIRC. How are you guys getting your stereos to read M4A files through a flashdrive?
within iTunes.....you can convert the files to MP3. I've done it....my wife has an itunes account, took all her music I wanted and burnt it onto a CD in MP3. I hadn't tried to move it or convert it directly to a flash dive.....but there are more that one way to skin a cat!!

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 05-01-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
I have never seen in iTunes where you could convert to mp3. I see where you can convert mp3 to AAC files but the head unit will not recognize AAC (m4a) files on a flashdrive. Also iTunes will not allow you to move music to a flashdrive within iTunes. That sort of defeats the antipiracy laws iTunes is all about protecting.

EDIT: I just figured out how to convert my whole library to mp3 in iTunes!!! Thank you Sir Nuke I never realized that was even an option you could turn on my changing your import settings and then backign out and changing them in the advanced tab. Here is a quick list of how to do this for others like me who are iTunes newbies: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550

To convert a song's file format:
  1. Open iTunes Preferences.
    Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences.
    Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences.
  2. Click the General button, then click the Importing Settings button in the second section of the window.
  3. From the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the encoding format that you want to convert the song to, then click OK to save the settings.
  4. Select one or more songs in your library, then from the Advanced menu, choose one of the following (The menu item changes to show what's selected in your Importing preferences):
    • Create MP3 version
    • Create AAC version
    • Create AIFF version
    • Create WAV version
    • Create Apple Lossless version

Last edited by Shu71; 05-01-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Shu71 is offline   Reply With Quote