Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
cbuchak2000

Drives: 2011 Triple Black 2SS 6spd Vert,
2011 SS Heater Core Failure?????

Hi everyone, I've been a member for awhile and spend countless hours reading and learning things from all the people out here and I appreciate all of your input and knowledge. This is my first post, so I'll get to it. I have a 2011 Convertible 2SS M6. I bought it last July from the largest Chevrolet Dealership in the state of Wisconsin. I didn't really do anything to it last summer, parked it for the winter, and this spring starting making some modifications. I put in a Hurst short throw, a CAI cold aid system, Corsa Sport Cat Back, and ARH headers and a Dyno Tune from Speed Inc.. So far so good.

Not a week after I installed the headers I started noticing that sweet coolant smell in the car when it got up to operating temp. I checked and the coolant was full, no visible leaks under the car, but always that same sweet smell when she got warm. I called the dealership and told them I thought I had a bad heater core, but they said they hadn't seen one yet and that it seemed unlikely. So, long story short I took it in this past friday. They started to give me some grief about the headers, and the warranty potentially being void, but as soon as I told them there was another dealership willing to do the work under warranty (which there was) they had no problem doing it. I get to the dealership, they start it up and almost immediately agree its a heater core, but they need to test it out and they'll call me later in the day.

Just before their service department is set to close they call me to say yes it is the heater core, BUT, it will be a week or more before it is done because they need to have the windshield removed by a glass company, the dash needs to come out as well as most of the forward interior components so they can swap the core. Does this sound right? I've replaced a few heater cores in my time, none in a car this knew, but they have to disassmble most of this car to get it out????? Sounds like HORRIBLE engineering to me. I love my car, and have always been amazed that unlike the 2003 vette convertible I got rid of to get this car, this one has always been quiet inside...... no squeaks and rattles. I'm positive this car is going to sound like a coffee can full of bolts being shaken after they take all of this apart. If the car is noisy inside after this, do you think I have a chance at a Lemon Law Case? I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, but I'm just frustrated that they have to pull this much of my 8000 mile car apart to replace a heater core. Thanks for bearing with me through this rant, I appreciate any info any of you might have. Take care all.
Chad
cbuchak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
yup & yup

Everyone else who has posted with the heater core replacement had to have the windshield and dash pulled to replace the core.Most that I have read have been pleased with the results after wards.Sounds bizarre but that is the way it is.Just think if it goes out after warranty , thats is what I worry about,big bucks for sure.Dont think it will rattle and no on the lemon law if it did.Good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
cbuchak2000

Thanks..... I've read a bit more about it and see that you are correct... Most are happy. My dealership is saying that they need a new windshield because the old moldings are part of the windshield and they are no good once removed. Direct ship part and could take another week. Its a bummer..... At least they are standing behind it.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Yeah, it may seem like a long time but it's all necessary to get your car back in good shape. I think my dealer had my car for a little over a week.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
cbuchak2000

I suppose much better to happen now than after its out of warranty! This would be a real slap in the face if I were paying out of pocket.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
VaderSS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6sp
Had mine replaced. Dash rattles under hard acceleration now.
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
Had mine replaced. Dash rattles under hard acceleration now.
Meh, then everything is working right. My car sounds and shakes like the space shuttle trying to break orbit under hard acceleration. It's quite awesome.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote