Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Muscle car exhaust sound

How many people here think that Exhaust sounds are important for the new Camaro? As for me, I love the sounds of American muscle. I think the best sounding cars today are the 90-04 mustang with aftermarket exhaust. They are loud but also have a deep tone to them. The older (95+) Camaro are loud but to me they just do not have to right muscle car tone. Also I think the new mustangs do not sound that great as well. I think itís all because on the 90+ mustangs and the first Camaros and mustangs had the mufflers in the middle of the car. I think thatís what made them sound so great. With the mufflers at the back, they just do not sound the same. I took this pic at the LA auto show from the Camaro :

It looks like its similar to the mustangs but a little more pipe then the Mustang. Itís a little better but I wonder why they do put the mufflers in the middle anymoreÖ. Iím hoping they do better with this car!
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
SoFlaZ

Drives: Nothing special :-(
I think the sound is very important and so do the designers at GM. There were some pics released that showed all of the Camaro designers and important people listening to test exhaust samples of our beloved 5thgen (not sure which thread its in). So I have full confidence that this beast will sound great from the factory.

I think the 90's mustangs sound too high pitched IMO. I LOVE the sound of an LT1 Camaro/Firebird though!
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
2006 GTO sound

If the new Camaro could sound exactly like the most recent GTO'S it will sound incredible. I have heard some amazing GTOs. I did not think to assume they might have changed the mufflers. I think GTOs muffler is in the back and if it is, it sounds very good to me.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
the car will sound like this on start up VRRRRROOOOOOOOM and when it idles it'll contuiously say kickass
Old 12-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
There was a shot a while ago of various GM people listening to exhaust notes to try and get the best sound for the Camaro

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
One thing we know the new Camaro exhaust will never sound like is the extremely rare, seldom heard optional chambered exhaust that was available for a short time in first gen. Camaros. I have faith that Chevy will give us a nice sounding exhaust on the new Camaro.
Clyde
wildpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
i have a good feeling that the new camaro is gona have a very nice exahust note. i was behide a 02 ss the other day and it sounded amazing, i never realy get to see to many gen 4 camaros but it was nice to see and hear one.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
I want mine to sound like THIS!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...57905193539542

~LSx
Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Wait, LS7 Solstice? Wow

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 12-08-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
this sounds good too
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...57905193539542
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:48 AM   #11
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTron View Post
uh, LSxellent just posted that same link 2 spots above you
Old 12-08-2007, 02:43 AM   #12
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk LS3 SS
5.0 with longtubes sounds MEAN, but a 4th gen F-body with Longtubes and a borla sounds straight BEAST. I dont know if any of you have heard it but I had the SLP Loudmouth catback exhaust on my 93 Trans Am and it was crazy loud, Id set off car alarms without even trying, everyone thought my stock T/A was HEAVILY modded only because of that cat back
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
and it was crazy loud, Id set off car alarms without even trying
I have to say, to me that doesn't sound good.

I look at it this way. I'd rather it sound like the king that commands respect, obedience and fear with his deep strong voice rather than having to raise his voice to yell at his subjects to be heard and obeyed. Corny I know, but the only way I can think of to describe it.

A low rumble sounds nice, but loud sounds bad imo.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkwpc View Post
How many people here think that Exhaust sounds are important for the new Camaro? As for me, I love the sounds of American muscle. I think the best sounding cars today are the 90-04 mustang with aftermarket exhaust. They are loud but also have a deep tone to them. The older (95+) Camaro are loud but to me they just do not have to right muscle car tone. Also I think the new mustangs do not sound that great as well. I think itís all because on the 90+ mustangs and the first Camaros and mustangs had the mufflers in the middle of the car. I think thatís what made them sound so great. With the mufflers at the back, they just do not sound the same. I took this pic at the LA auto show from the Camaro :

It looks like its similar to the mustangs but a little more pipe then the Mustang. Itís a little better but I wonder why they do put the mufflers in the middle anymoreÖ. Iím hoping they do better with this car!
it actually looks really similar to the vette. the way the mufflers are right by the exhaust tips. as far as the sound,its not too important to me, ill just put borla on anyways.but until i getit put on ,yeah i would want it to sound good on the way home.

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post

I look at it this way. I'd rather it sound like the king that commands respect, obedience and fear with his deep strong voice rather than having to raise his voice to yell at his subjects to be heard and obeyed. Corny I know, but the only way I can think of to describe it.

You can set off car alarms without being loud. If it is a nice deep rumble you can set off alarms without blowing out eardrums. My Cutlass isn't loud, but the tone is low enough that I could occasionally set off car alarms.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #16
bprange

Drives: '94 Red/Black Z/28
I have the loudmouths on my '94 Z/28 and LOVE the sound. There is nothing better than the burble when you downshift. It is crazy loud but because the tone is so low it is penetrating. I can hear my car idling in the parking lot of my apartment while I am in the shower (i have to warm it the winter). Not because it is loud but low. I always love setting off car alarms in my car too...
Quote:

Last edited by bprange; 12-08-2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
bprange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #17
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2001 Chevy Impala
theres a video floating around of how the camaro with the ls2 sounded like i think they were loading it on a trailer =/ and i loved the sound, but the closest thing that i liked was the beamer... =/ just sounds awesome to me

Navy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

I believe that this 'bilboard' that I found it in Need for Speed Carbon sums up what we want . . .
Name:  Camaro5.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  35.1 KB

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 12-09-2007, 02:32 AM   #19
hftech

Drives: 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28!
Definitely. I trust Chevy will do well for the exhaust. My 2000 Z28 has a roar that I love. It's kind of bad though because my girlfriend can hear me coming down the street, so if she's doing anything bad...she'll be able to hide it before I get in. I have the Borla catback adjustable exhaust with SLP long tube headers and Y-pipe....then cut out the catalytic converters. I kinda want to add new cats, try out the high performance catalytic converters. But I put the 3/4 open plate on my Borla exhaust so it has some backpressure. Sets off car alarms all the time and it's not the screaming loud, has the low rumble but still can be heard from a good ways away....kinda like thunder. :P
hftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #20
hollyt

Drives: 2003 corvette
I have an 03 Vette and the first things I did to it was put a blackwing, a Corsa exhaust, and American RacingLT Headers.
The thing I love about the sound of my car now is that when I start her up she sounds GREAT, and when I accelerate she sounds very aggressive, but when I am cruising the sound settles down so I can hear the stereo and talk to the person in the car without a problem
hollyt is offline   Reply With Quote