Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Question The Great Orbital/Polisher Debate-- HELP!

Alright, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

My car desperately needs some buffing and polishing. I have all of the Adams stuff I need to get the job done (Fine machine polish, buttery wax, swirl and haze remover, etc). But I don't have the Porter Cable; I have a brand new Craftsman orbital.

All I've heard on here are people saying how anything but a PC sucks, how I'm going to destroy the paint on my car, etc etc etc. WHY are people saying this? Because now you've all got me terrified to use a perfectly good orbital, and I just can't justify spending the money on a PC 7424XP-- although I've found one on eBay for $106 shipped.

So what should I do? Try my orbital? I've never used one before, but I spend tons of time hand-polishing and waxing my car, and I'm not a total idiot, so I don't see why everyone shrieks that I will destroy my paint. Please advise, and if you think I CAN use my Craftsman random orbital, will you tell me what bonnets or whatever I should get for it, and give me some pointers on technique?

TIA

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Alright, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

My car desperately needs some buffing and polishing. I have all of the Adams stuff I need to get the job done (Fine machine polish, buttery wax, swirl and haze remover, etc). But I don't have the Porter Cable; I have a brand new Craftsman orbital.

All I've heard on here are people saying how anything but a PC sucks, how I'm going to destroy the paint on my car, etc etc etc. WHY are people saying this? Because now you've all got me terrified to use a perfectly good orbital, and I just can't justify spending the money on a PC 7424XP-- although I've found one on eBay for $106 shipped.

So what should I do? Try my orbital? I've never used one before, but I spend tons of time hand-polishing and waxing my car, and I'm not a total idiot, so I don't see why everyone shrieks that I will destroy my paint. Please advise, and if you think I CAN use my Craftsman random orbital, will you tell me what bonnets or whatever I should get for it, and give me some pointers on technique?

TIA
With a PC it's virtually impossible to mess up your paint, with an orbital, shit can happen due to heat. Having never used an orbital, I personally would not chance it, espicially since the cost is so low to avoid a big opps.. My advice, spend the $106 and be worry free! It will be a lot more then $106 to correct marred paint if you do the orbital incorrectly!

Last edited by nyrfan; 04-30-2012 at 02:49 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
and Sarah, if you do go and buy the PC you found for $106.....you will need to buy the backing plate and the Pads for your current Adam's products. they have a kit that has it all, its $60

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-330-a...g-pad-kit.aspx
Old 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
With a PC it's virtually impossible to mess up your paint, with an orbital, shit can happen due to heat. Having never used an orbital, I personally would not chance it, espicially since the cost is so low to avoid a big opps.. My advice, spend the $106 and be worry free! It will be a lot more then $106 to correct marred paint if you do the orbital incorrectly!
You're confusing "orbital" for "rotary".

The PC is an orbital polisher.

OP - its not that 'anything except a PC sucks' its that the tool you have (likely a 10" bonnet polisher) is too weak to make any meaningful impact on your paint and can't be adapted to accept more effective foam pads.

Bonnets bunch and shift while in use, making them ineffective for polishing.

Additionally most of those craftsman polishers have a unloaded top speed of 3000opm... far too slow to polish with. We recommend you work our products at 5500-6800opm. With a tool like the PC you have variable speeds, not just "on" or "off" like the craftsman. In the end you'd be better off just sticking to hand polishing until you can grab a real polisher than wasting time trying to get results with the tool you have.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
You're confusing "orbital" for "rotary".

The PC is an orbital polisher.

OP - its not that 'anything except a PC sucks' its that the tool you have (likely a 10" bonnet polisher) is too weak to make any meaningful impact on your paint and can't be adapted to accept more effective foam pads.

Bonnets bunch and shift while in use, making them ineffective for polishing.

Additionally most of those craftsman polishers have a unloaded top speed of 3000opm... far too slow to polish with. We recommend you work our products at 5500-6800opm. With a tool like the PC you have variable speeds, not just "on" or "off" like the craftsman. In the end you'd be better off just sticking to hand polishing until you can grab a real polisher than wasting time trying to get results with the tool you have.
Oops using the wrong terminology. But Dylan, I thought the PC is oscillating? Isn't that somewhat different them orbital?

Sent from my 2LT/RS using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Yes in a way, a dual-action car polisher often called by folks a "random orbit polisher" or "orbital polisher" is a machine that operates by orbiting the polishing pad around a center spindle while the pad freely spins on its own axis. A counterweight on the opposite side of the center spindle dampens vibration for smooth operation.

It works just like your hand, but only at super-human speed that will show you what it can do.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Nick@Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Oops using the wrong terminology. But Dylan, I thought the PC is oscillating? Isn't that somewhat different them orbital?

Same thing... as illustrated by angelos post... the PC moves in the Mr. Migagi "wax on wax off" movement... the Flex adds rotation on top of that... the most aggressive type of polisher is rotary (the kind you're confusing for orbital) which simply spins on a fixed axis.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Same thing... as illustrated by angelos post... the PC moves in the Mr. Migagi "wax on wax off" movement... the Flex adds rotation on top of that... the most aggressive type of polisher is rotary (the kind you're confusing for orbital) which simply spins on a fixed axis.
Oops, my bad.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Haole
My K9 partner and me

Drives: 10 IOM SS
Question, this might fit in this thread. I just completed my "dawn" wash and then clayed my car and washed again. I usually do everything by hand. I have been interested in trying to use a polisher. I can get the Griots 6" polisher here on island for about $126 with backing plate. I guess I'm looking for others input. Also if I can't get to polishing and all until this weekend will I have to re-clay? I know the decision is ultimately mine.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Nick@Adams

No (assuming "I just" means within the past 72 hours).... claying removes bonded contamination that builds up over time, so unless your car has been parked under a tree, near a rail road, or gotten paint overspray somehow its highly unlikely you need to clay again.

Do the baggie test to be sure, but odds are you won't need to clay again.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Haole
My K9 partner and me

Drives: 10 IOM SS
"Just" meant I'm sitting in my garage finishing my interior and tires (its only 1:20pm here in Hawaii). Thanks for the info Dylan. Now I just need to decide whether or not to get the Griots.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Nick@Adams

Oh, you'll be fine then. So long as you don't get hit with anything between now and polishing time you'll be fine. Sometimes I get questions from people that start out "I just finished claying and waxing...." when they actually meant like a month ago LOL.

Just wanted to be sure.