Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
HALO light bulb question

Hi - I have a question about the HALO lights. Does anyone have some kind of diagram as to how they are made?

What I really want to know is are the Halo lights just a tube of reflective glass, lit from a lamp from below? And is that lamp a regular lamp or another HID? And if you have to replace the lamp, can you do so without replacing the Halo ring itself?

If it is lit from a seperate lamp as it seems to be (the HID's are blue-white while the Halo's are more yellow-white), AND the lamp is replaceable without changing the ring itself, then this opens up the possibility of adding a small filter to the assembly to change the color of the Halo's. Red, Orange or blue Halos, anyone?
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
As far as I can tell, the halo is a separate light fixture surrounding the HID
and can be replaced separately.

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
I can't speak specifically about the Camaro halos yet, but many models have a replaceable LED bulb or bulbs that light the halo portion. Here's an example -> Replacement Halo Bulb. Also, here's an example of steps to replace the LEDs on a Mazda -> Halo LED Replacement. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
My BMW's halos factory not aftermarket takes a pair of H8 bulbs one for each side
Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
2Muchmark

Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
I can't speak specifically about the Camaro halos yet, but many models have a replaceable LED bulb or bulbs that light the halo portion. Here's an example -> Replacement Halo Bulb. Also, here's an example of steps to replace the LEDs on a Mazda -> Halo LED Replacement. Hope this helps.

If they are LED lights, then this is extra cool.

There are very bright (5 Watt) LED lights that you can buy that display thousands of colors. Even better the color of the LED's can be changed by remote control, or programmed to cycle through various colors. I know this because we use LED lighting in our studios. Best of all this may be a very simple mod that anyone can do themselves. When I get my Camaro (one day, one day), I'll take a look at the assembly up close and if I can, let anyone who's interested know how to do it.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
prostreet67

Drives: 67 prostreet
thanks for the good info

2LT/RS-RJT, auto, sunroof,
polished wheels, spare.
order placed 3/13
3000 5/27
brought home 7/30
prostreet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Can the halo light up separate of the head light such that the halo is the only thing lit?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
zzz28zzz

Drives: 2010 Chev Camaro 2SS/RS VR -
I know it is probably illegal in most states but My VR 2010 Camaro would look pretty sweet with red HALOs

Victory Red 2SS/RS M6
zzz28zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Can the halo light up separate of the head light such that the halo is the only thing lit?
Yes. When you start the car, turn the light knob to the left to turn off the daytime running lights then turn it back one click to the right to turn on the halos.
Attached Images

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
2Muchmark

I think it might be illegal too but then again maybe I don't care. When I get my car (maybe by 2020) I'll take a close look at these and see what I can do. If I can change it for a nice red or blue I'll do it. If I get a ticket for it I'll just say the car was built like this! wtf!. I'll let everyone know anyway.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 1999 GMC Envoy
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
It is the first thing you said. I looked very closely at the Halo today, and there is some light source illuminating the light tubes from below. I'm not sure about it being another HID, or LED, but I'm about 95% sure they are being lit from below. I hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Has anyone found out more details about this? I am interested in seeing if I can add halos to my non-RS car. I really didn't want to spend over $1,000 for HIDs (not that important to me--and this would have been the only thing in the RS package I was really interested in anyways). Now though, I am having a little regret not getting the package because I feel like those halos will be almost a signature to the Camaro. Of course, if I can add them myself for much less than the $1k, and get the added benefit of getting color selection, those regrets will be right out the window!
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
I am thinking of just buying a front head lamp assembly in order to work on different colors, if it is an an LED system then all that I need is 2 verible light LEDs and a rheostat and run it with a servo with a switch in the car
Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando416 View Post
Has anyone found out more details about this? I am interested in seeing if I can add halos to my non-RS car. I really didn't want to spend over $1,000 for HIDs (not that important to me--and this would have been the only thing in the RS package I was really interested in anyways). Now though, I am having a little regret not getting the package because I feel like those halos will be almost a signature to the Camaro. Of course, if I can add them myself for much less than the $1k, and get the added benefit of getting color selection, those regrets will be right out the window!
you can't.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
you can't.
You'll probably have to wait for someone to lose another camaro to a rear-end collision that has Halos and then buy them from him/her. Even then you'll probably be competing will hundreds if not thousands of other buyers who suddenly realized that the RS package was totally worth the price.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2012 SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
You'll probably have to wait for someone to lose another camaro to a rear-end collision that has Halos and then buy them from him/her. Even then you'll probably be competing will hundreds if not thousands of other buyers who suddenly realized that the RS package was totally worth the price.
You would have to reprogram your car too. DRL is in the low beam on a base car - and you can't just trim a wire to turn it off. So you need a wiring solution for that. Not to mention that your high and low beam won't work right either, since an H13 bulb is three wires while the HID bulb has two.

So unless you can code your own body control module software, you really can't swap the lamps without a big issues. (And no, HP Tuners can't fix this either).

-Geoff
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
jacob678

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro IOM 2SS
I bought the HID fixtures from my GM dealer. They are the one's that would be if I had the RS package. I ordered the RS package because I specifically wanted these headlights however my Camaro did not come with them. The RS package was dropped from the order by accident. I did not want to reorder so I just took mine without the RS package and figured I would figure out how to ad them on later. Now that I have the lights it appears there will be some re-wiring etc to be done. I am hoping someone else on here is trying or has tried to do the same thing and can provide some feedback.
jacob678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #18
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
red would definitely be illegal you would definitely get stopped with that in a heart beat. Also anything other than blue/white light would dimish what you can see at night
Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #19
2SSJIM

Drives: CRT ZL1 #1400
The Halo lights should be a direct swap out with some added wiring and I'm very sure some after market company will be offering some real soon!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #20
my2010camaross
ss

Drives: all black ss
you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
you can't.
http://www.lite-eyes.com/index.php?m...ex&cPath=15_16
my2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #21
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
red would definitely be illegal you would definitely get stopped with that in a heart beat. Also anything other than blue/white light would dimish what you can see at night
I agree with the red or blue being illegal in most places, but to imply that the halo's are used for actual illumination is a little bit off the mark. They are an appearance accessory, not intended for, or powerful enough to illuminate the road or obstacles in front of you to any significant or appreciable degree.

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #22
jr_hoyt
J-Rock

Drives: 2001 Yellow Ford Focus
So, in theory, we could just buy a replacement halo ring from the site listed below, and pop it in our assembly and be good to go?! You'll have to forgive me for not knowing, I've never done anything like this before... I didn't even know these things existed until a few months ago! Thanks in advance.

http://www.lite-eyes.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=211

jr_hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #23
SomeGeoffGuy

No you can't just rewire them. You have to address:

- Low beam DRL's on base car will not work on HID. You would need a relay.
- You would need a relay to keep low beam on when high beam activated Maybe use the same as above).
- You would have to rewire it to light the halo for park, not the turn signal.

So you are going got put at least two relays in and splice all your lamp wiring. You will probably void a lot of the warranty on the car in your process. I would just stick with your base lamps and call it a day.

-Geoff
Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #24
SomeGeoffGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_hoyt View Post
So, in theory, we could just buy a replacement halo ring from the site listed below, and pop it in our assembly and be good to go?! You'll have to forgive me for not knowing, I've never done anything like this before... I didn't even know these things existed until a few months ago! Thanks in advance.

http://www.lite-eyes.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=211
Let me know how that goes putting it inside your lamp. I am pretty sure it won't fit through the hole the bulb goes through, and that is the biggest hole in the lamp.

-Geoff
Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #25
GaryJr

Drives: 2SS/RS #31118
Ive heards Red is legal in Indiana....thats just info from a city cop tho.
GaryJr is offline   Reply With Quote