Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
jpsuperman81
That's Right 478whp450tq!
 
jpsuperman81's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 2,335
$600 For painted Ground Effects

This is what my dealer quoted meaning if I add them straight up and get them painted its 2865. I like the look they add but that almost 3k, now i know i can get them on here cheaper obviously not including installation. I think I could save several hundred dollars though, now part of me wants to help my local dealer but when were talking about a possible 5 or 600 dollar difference how much loyalty are we suppose to have. I think the cheapest price on here is around 1600, now assuming I still spend 600 to paint thats 2200 and a local reputable shop charges me 200 to install I'm at 2400 so roughly I can save 465 dollars. SHould i ask dealer for a better price and tell them if they can match online price I will do it, does that run the risk of pissing the dealer off. I mean I know everyone has to make their money but they are still making profit i'm not asking for their cost.
__________________
I would like to apoligize ahead of time if any of my posts bother you, I am quite a large smartass and very expressive of my opinion!
I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum!
Ordered Feb. 13 2009: 2SS/RS/M6/Sunroof/ Rally Yellow built 8/7 Vin# 33534, Delivered 8/26/09!
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar
 
Chevyrocker's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day...
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,445
Nothing wrong with a little negotiation...But make sure you print out your quotes and everything so your claims can hold some water.
__________________
Shortcuts can slow you down...
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
jpsuperman81
That's Right 478whp450tq!
 
jpsuperman81's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 2,335
Well i don't own a printer never needed one but now it looks like I should get one for odds and ends. If push came to shove i can just pull this website up for them or show them an email. I know camaroscotty on here has a posted price of 1600 something and another guy on here was doing 15% above cost and is now doing 20% above cost which is still around 1500 or 1600 and both are public information on this website.
__________________
I would like to apoligize ahead of time if any of my posts bother you, I am quite a large smartass and very expressive of my opinion!
I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum!
Ordered Feb. 13 2009: 2SS/RS/M6/Sunroof/ Rally Yellow built 8/7 Vin# 33534, Delivered 8/26/09!
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
91RS
 
Drives: 1991 RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
, now part of me wants to help my local dealer but when were talking about a possible 5 or 600 dollar difference how much loyalty are we suppose to have.

You want to HELP YOUR LOCAL DEALER? Are you kidding me guy? Why do you give a crap about your local dealer? do you think youre local dealer gives a rats ass about you?? HE DOESNT. Do what you have to do to pay as less as you can for what you want.

LOL "I wanna help my local dealer" LOL Thats hilarious.
91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
wullger

 
wullger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 1,547
Wow, chill out. Some dealers are pretty cool people, and not out to rip you off.
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM
 
Xmicro_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,894
I understand, I too like my dealer. All dealers are a part of your community an they do employee 20, 30, 40 or more local people. The good thing about the dealer doing it, is that if it gets screwed up you get another car. You will not take delivery until you see the work. To me that is worth a few hundred bucks........but it is up to you.
__________________
ITS HERE! : 2010 Camaro 2SS / 6 Speed Manual (No other way) / Silver Ice Metallic / Inferno Orange Interior Accent / RS Package / Polished Wheels / SOLO MACH X CAT BACK
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
jstein
 
Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deer Park, Texas
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
Wow, chill out. Some dealers are pretty cool people, and not out to rip you off.
I agree with you. There is a salesman that my family works with and he calls us every few months to see how things are still going with our cars. We can walk up to him and he can call us by name. There are some great people that work at the dealers.
jstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
jpsuperman81
That's Right 478whp450tq!
 
jpsuperman81's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
You want to HELP YOUR LOCAL DEALER? Are you kidding me guy? Why do you give a crap about your local dealer? do you think youre local dealer gives a rats ass about you?? HE DOESNT. Do what you have to do to pay as less as you can for what you want.

LOL "I wanna help my local dealer" LOL Thats hilarious.

Wow people like you I could type a book. I like to help my local everybody, do I go to walmart no i go to ACE hardware that is locally owned thats been in my tiny town since I was a kid. The more money we can keep local the better off we are is the way i see it. Now that said i shop for a lot of stuff online as well but if its something that can help a local business and their price is close I'm gonna help them. I use to manage a bowling proshop and I'm not sure how many people on here are avid bowlers but a top end ball Sells for 200 to maybe 230 including drilling. Well the local proshop is the backbone of bowling and we got treated the worst. Huge online retailers sell bowling balls online most of the time with free shipping for about 10 or 15 over what our cost in the bowling balls are, example most high performance balls online are 149.95 shipped and those same balls cost us about 135. Now obviously they are paying something to ship them so they are not counting on selling 1000 balls and making $5 it wouldn't be worth it, so easy answer is they are getting a better price even though manufacturers swear to us that the local shop is getting best price possible. So us being a brick and mortar shop obviously have to keep our price at $149.95 to keep up. So we make $15 and whatever our drilling charge is because if u buy it online or from us you still gotta get it drilled. Well people bring us balls left and right from the internet and yes of course we drill them and yes of course we make money, but the very same balls they are bringing we gotta keep in stock too and use up our money to do so. We have employees to pay taxes to pay and so on and so forth. Now I don't blaim the internet companys for making money , the problem is the manufacturer not setting the same pricing for everyone. Now obviously my local dealer has their normal mark on these ground effects, their margin if you will. Their margins are there for a reason they have bills to pay like the rest of us, but I would rather give them a chance to match the best price I can find and still let them make profit maybe not as much profit but still profit because they are local to me. their employess drive home to their familys each night in our town and if I can help them out I prefer to do so.
__________________
I would like to apoligize ahead of time if any of my posts bother you, I am quite a large smartass and very expressive of my opinion!
I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum!
Ordered Feb. 13 2009: 2SS/RS/M6/Sunroof/ Rally Yellow built 8/7 Vin# 33534, Delivered 8/26/09!
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
2010SSRSM6's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,866
I saw first hand how detailed the installation process is to get the gfx installed. The dealership has to remove the front facia, rear bumper cover and both lower side moldings. I was told this is to ensure that the paint matches properly. The dealership I orderd from only has 1 certified Camaro tech that can disassyemble and reassemble the car. i don't know if I would want to take it to my local "custom" shop and let them experiment on my $40k investment.

Just my $.02
__________________
Powered by Cunningham MotorSports
2010SSRSM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
newcamaroowner
 
newcamaroowner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro..About time
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ada, Oklahoma
Posts: 70
I would go ahead and go the dealer way, because...if it gets messed up during the process..they fix it..its all warrantied work if you do that stuff through your dealer..its done by GM, etc....I know its a little bit more money....but, it will be warrantied with your car...im sure your other route has a warranty too, but I just dont know about custom shops touching my ride..I had an 08 silverado...had the bumper taken off and welded a roll pan on it, they painted the whole bed of my truck and stuff...the rollpan looked good, but they didnt blend the paint..so , i had to take it several times to get it fixed..just my situation as an example...
newcamaroowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
LabRat
 
Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St Paul,MN
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Well i don't own a printer never needed one but now it looks like I should get one for odds and ends. If push came to shove i can just pull this website up for them or show them an email. I know camaroscotty on here has a posted price of 1600 something and another guy on here was doing 15% above cost and is now doing 20% above cost which is still around 1500 or 1600 and both are public information on this website.
Just take a disk/cd/dvd/usb stick to Kinko's.

Problem solved.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM
 
kdoske's Avatar
 
Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: louisiana
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
Wow, chill out. Some dealers are pretty cool people, and not out to rip you off.



















lol, j/k
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
gtjacket
2G1FT1EW0A9118618
 
gtjacket's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/IOM M6
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Wow people like you I could type a book. I like to help my local everybody, do I go to walmart no i go to ACE hardware that is locally owned thats been in my tiny town since I was a kid. The more money we can keep local the better off we are is the way i see it. Now that said i shop for a lot of stuff online as well but if its something that can help a local business and their price is close I'm gonna help them. I use to manage a bowling proshop and I'm not sure how many people on here are avid bowlers but a top end ball Sells for 200 to maybe 230 including drilling. Well the local proshop is the backbone of bowling and we got treated the worst. Huge online retailers sell bowling balls online most of the time with free shipping for about 10 or 15 over what our cost in the bowling balls are, example most high performance balls online are 149.95 shipped and those same balls cost us about 135. Now obviously they are paying something to ship them so they are not counting on selling 1000 balls and making $5 it wouldn't be worth it, so easy answer is they are getting a better price even though manufacturers swear to us that the local shop is getting best price possible. So us being a brick and mortar shop obviously have to keep our price at $149.95 to keep up. So we make $15 and whatever our drilling charge is because if u buy it online or from us you still gotta get it drilled. Well people bring us balls left and right from the internet and yes of course we drill them and yes of course we make money, but the very same balls they are bringing we gotta keep in stock too and use up our money to do so. We have employees to pay taxes to pay and so on and so forth. Now I don't blaim the internet companys for making money , the problem is the manufacturer not setting the same pricing for everyone. Now obviously my local dealer has their normal mark on these ground effects, their margin if you will. Their margins are there for a reason they have bills to pay like the rest of us, but I would rather give them a chance to match the best price I can find and still let them make profit maybe not as much profit but still profit because they are local to me. their employess drive home to their familys each night in our town and if I can help them out I prefer to do so.
jpsuperman, i grew up in GA and now live in KY so i totally understand your point. The problem is that people from the Northeast are raised to always put themselves before others and have no concept of community. I travel a lot and i spend quite a bit of time in the northeast. I do not blame them because this is how they are raised. They cannot understand why southerners care about people they hardly know
__________________
1100, Preliminary order accepted 12/5
2000, Order accepted by GM 05/05
3000, Order accepted by production control 05/05
3400, Order broadcast 6/4
3800, Order produced 6/15
4000, Available to ship 6/16
4104, Bailment Invoice
4200, Shipped 6/19
6000, Delivered to the customer 6/25

2SS/RS BLK M6 GFX IOM interior
gtjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
91RS
 
Drives: 1991 RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjacket View Post
jpsuperman, i grew up in GA and now live in KY so i totally understand your point. The problem is that people from the Northeast are raised to always put themselves before others and have no concept of community. I travel a lot and i spend quite a bit of time in the northeast. I do not blame them because this is how they are raised. They cannot understand why southerners care about people they hardly know
gtjacket, easy there John Rocker. How am I putting myself before others? Maybe YOU live in a town with a few hundred people where everyone knows everyone, but not everybody does. Everyone knows that car dealers are bloodsucking creatures who will try to squeeze every last penny out of you that they can, REGARDLESS of how nice a guy you are or what your financial situation is. Do you think dealers mark up Camaros $5,000 - $10,000 over invoice because they "care about you"? Sure there are some good ones out there, of course. But if I have a choice to get something for less than thats the route Im gonna go. Times are rough, Im not out to do anyone favors right now. More power to you if you wanna pay more simply because your dealer comes across as a nice guy but not evryone can, thats what Im saying. And dont be so quick to assume how people from the Northeast are raised because of whatever stupid views you have. You're from Kentucky right? Most people have the idea that people from the south have sex with their sister, but you probably dont do you? So keep your opinions to yourself.

Last edited by 91RS; 05-13-2009 at 10:05 AM.
91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
2010 2-Tone


 
2010 2-Tone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jennings, La.
Posts: 2,287
WOW!!!! You go New York!!!
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #16
2SSJIM

 
2SSJIM's Avatar
 
Drives: CRT ZL1 #1400
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: AZ.
Posts: 898
I would go the dealer route simply because they warranty their work! Being an Army brat and in the Navy myself, I've been to all sizes of cities and now live in one of the largest. People will take advantage of you no matter where your from or live. The one thing I feel I've got from just about every dealers service department is that they want me to be happy with the work they do..... why! Because they want you to come back and I'll tell you... good customer service goes a long way!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
2010 2-Tone


 
2010 2-Tone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jennings, La.
Posts: 2,287
Well said Jim!!! Discussion closed!!!
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factory painted ground effects? Rollie25 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 20 06-22-2010 07:25 AM
Ground effects question topgun1 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 0 04-30-2009 05:23 PM
Request: Black with Ground Effects??? Rollie25 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 6 04-21-2009 05:30 PM
RS ground effects... omarrakeen 4th Generation Camaros 12 04-15-2009 11:48 AM
Cheaper to get ground effects after? jpsuperman81 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 9 03-12-2009 03:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.