Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
belliott
belliott

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Is Perfection asking to much- HELP!

AM I EXPECTING TO MUCH??? I have not used Adams yet. DOES IT REALLY MAKE IT FLAWLESS? I have tried the best of everything I could find around the area. I can still see in the correct lighting and perspective light scratches. Do you guys really get it perfect? I mean no swirls in broad daylight? Do I just need to let this go?
belliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Yes. After a full detail I have, IMO, perfect paint. How long does that last? Not very.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott View Post
AM I EXPECTING TO MUCH??? I have not used Adams yet. DOES IT REALLY MAKE IT FLAWLESS? I have tried the best of everything I could find around the area. I can still see in the correct lighting and perspective light scratches. Do you guys really get it perfect? I mean no swirls in broad daylight? Do I just need to let this go?
"best of everything" is really a broad statement given how many products are out there and it doesn't get to the heart of the issue - PROCESS is more important than PRODUCT.

Great products won't do you any good if the process you're performing isn't capable of correcting the paint. Are you utilizing a machine to polish? To get to 'perfection' a machine is pretty much required. What have you tried to address your swirl marks?

As far as your question goes - yes... you can get 100% perfect with our products in any lighting condition (including full sun), just as you can with a variety of others. We pride ourselves on being easy to use, especially for someone who has never picked up a machine before. But again... it requires a machine to get there.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
It's up to you, but anyone can get there by washing, claying, compounding/polishing with a machine ( PC ) and then topping it off with a LSP product for one to enjoy their work.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
belliott
belliott

Everyone and Dylan- thank u for your help. Yes I'm using a PC 7424 with foam hex pads. Honestly I have tried to mimic the videos pattern cover setting ect.... I've seen on the Adams site. I have been trying a local company Knipps they have a stage 1 polish, and then I used a glasure glaze then Maguirs NXT. I can still see light swirls errrrg! I spend hours on it and just never get the results.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Nick@Adams

Not familiar with the polishes you're using, but its rare a 1 step is going to be the solution, at least on your initial correction and glazes are more for hiding things than fixing them.

What type of pad are you using (color/brand) for these products?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
In addition to which pads, how is your "tempo" as you use your polisher? If you go too fast your results will vary.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
belliott
belliott

OK, I took a deep breath got my head on straight slowed down my motion way down with PC and ran it at setting 6 this is faster than before speed of 5. It seems to be coming around much better. The other thing I did not mention I am trying this on my Tacoma with 210K on it for practice before I go trying it on my beautiful Camaro. There is a lot of road rash on this beast. I am definitely working on a rough canvas trying to make it the mona lisa.

1st- I Clayed Bared with Maguiars Brand Bar
2nd- Knipps, 1st Stage Color White Polish with Yellow Hex 6" pad
3rd- Knipps, Glacier Polish Blue Polish with Softer Hex 6" pad
4th- Maguiars NXT Wax, put on by hand

There are still some light etches but much better when I compare to the parts that I did not do. I really appreciate all of your guys input and helping me not give up.

Last edited by belliott; 05-02-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
No product line will make a car perfect, it will always come down to technique (and proper tools).

We carry over 60 of the highest quality brands and 1000s and 1000s of products because enthusiasts have such a wide range of what works best for them.

Also keep in mind that perfection is in the eye of the beholder. Achieving a true, perfect, high gloss finish is not easy and requires time, patience and experience. while some products achieve these results through the use of oils, fillers, or glazing agents (like make up, they create a false finish that is short lived).

I have seen some so called perfect cars in person and to my standard, they where far from perfect Then again, my background in detailing was to take cares to their highest potential (again perfection is a relative term). It is certainty possible, but the higher the quality of finish you achieve, the harder it is to maintain. The goal is finding the balance that still affords you enough time to enjoy driving your vehicle!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Roll_the_Dice

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 2LT
Not to hijack this thread, but what do wax do you recommend for White cars? Mine is SW and I have heard DodoJuice Diamond White is good, but what is recommended by the pros? Thanks...back to the original thread.
2003 Audi A4 Convertible Silver Auto (sold)
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
2008 Porsche 911 Convertible Atlas Gray M6 (sold)
2007 Corvette Lemans Blue M6 (sold)
2004 BMW 645 ci Convertible Black Metallic (sold)
2000 Dodge Dakota sport Navy (sold)
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Metallic M5 (sold)
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Titanium F1 (sold)
1992 BMW 325i 2 door Alpine white (sold)
1990 Nissan 240SX Burgundy M6 (sold)
1979 Celica Blue M5 (sold)
1974 Mustang II Ghia Green (sold)
Roll_the_Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_the_Dice View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but what do wax do you recommend for White cars? Mine is SW and I have heard DodoJuice Diamond White is good, but what is recommended by the pros? Thanks...back to the original thread.
Werkstat Acrylic Jett works amazingly well with white and light colors
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_the_Dice View Post
Unicorn jizz....

UPSTATE C5 MEMBER
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Nick@Adams

On white I'm actually a bigger fan of sealants than waxes. Sealants, due to the more reflective mirror like shine they typically have, play up the clean/bright look of white better.

Just my personal preference. I just completed a white Gen 5 Camaro this past weekend with our Quick Sealant... I'll get pics up shortly.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Unicorn jizz....
Yeah good luck getting ahold of that. After the tsunami in Japan wiped out half the population, it's next to impossible to find.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Nick@Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Yeah good luck getting ahold of that. After the tsunami in Japan wiped out half the population, it's next to impossible to find.
Sasquatch tears are a close second... try substituting those in.