Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
IsaacRN
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: El Paso
Posts: 55
Engine Detail

Would anyone happen to have a picture of everything that needs to be wrapped for an engine detail on the V8? I want to clean up my engine bay, considering I live in the desert and sand/dust is overtaking the area. I just don't want to encounter any problems when I introduce the water.
IsaacRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Nick@Adams



 
Nick@Adams's Avatar
 
Drives: The shiny ones.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the detail shop!
Posts: 4,503
Modern engine bays are pretty water resistant so theres not much concern so long as you use more of a mist and not a hard stream of water.

If you have an open element air filter cover that with a plastic bag or some aluminum foil. Other than that theres no concern at all to introducing water for cleaning purposes.
__________________
Email: Nick@AdamsPolishes.com
Follow us on Facebook@AdamsPolishes
Use the code CAMARO5 or CORVETTE7 at checkout to save 10% off your next order at www.AdamsPolishes.com
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
IsaacRN
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: El Paso
Posts: 55
Thanks Dylan. I have two boxes of Adams goodies that I want to put into use today. I have one other question. I am thinking of doing full detail wash today with claying, and garaging the car and doing the whole polishing tomorrow. Do you think it will be necessary to do a waterless wash in the morning, or will I be ok just to start polishing?
IsaacRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacRN View Post
Thanks Dylan. I have two boxes of Adams goodies that I want to put into use today. I have one other question. I am thinking of doing full detail wash today with claying, and garaging the car and doing the whole polishing tomorrow. Do you think it will be necessary to do a waterless wash in the morning, or will I be ok just to start polishing?
I'd do the WW. Not worth the risk of something settling in on your paint over night and you whipping it across the paint at 5000 opm.
__________________
Help me support breast cancer research by making a donation to my team
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
IsaacRN
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: El Paso
Posts: 55
Hopefully my car looks like yours after I am done. I have the Ash Gray, and hope for a pop like what you have
IsaacRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacRN View Post
Hopefully my car looks like yours after I am done. I have the Ash Gray, and hope for a pop like what you have
It will. It's not as hard as a lot of people make it seem.

Which last step product are you planning on using?
__________________
Help me support breast cancer research by making a donation to my team
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
2ss2012
 
Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 390
Ashen Grey is an awesome color ! I have one myself.

2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
IsaacRN
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: El Paso
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
It will. It's not as hard as a lot of people make it seem.

Which last step product are you planning on using?
I was going to do the Brilliant Glaze followed by the Americana Wax. Do you have a suggestion?
IsaacRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacRN View Post
I was going to do the Brilliant Glaze followed by the Americana Wax. Do you have a suggestion?
You're doing the Machine Super Sealant before, I assume?

If you're staying in that product line, then no. I'm not a huge fan of Carnuabas on metallic paint, but a lot of people like it. I personally like that absurd reflective property you get from a synthetic sealant as opposed to the warmer glow you get with a Carnuaba. If it were me, I'd do the MSS, wait 24 hours, do a layer of the glaze, and stop there.

However, I understand you just spent $70 on a tub of wax and you'd probably like to use it

Just my $.02
__________________
Help me support breast cancer research by making a donation to my team
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
IsaacRN
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: El Paso
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You're doing the Machine Super Sealant before, I assume?

If you're staying in that product line, then no. I'm not a huge fan of Carnuabas on metallic paint, but a lot of people like it. I personally like that absurd reflective property you get from a synthetic sealant as opposed to the warmer glow you get with a Carnuaba. If it were me, I'd do the MSS, wait 24 hours, do a layer of the glaze, and stop there.

However, I understand you just spent $70 on a tub of wax and you'd probably like to use it

Just my $.02

Well the wax was part of the package, so i didn't necessarily buy it specifically. I will be doing the whole adams line of polishes so super sealant will be in the mix. I am really stocked to get this going. Its going to have to wait till next week though.

I was also wondering, could I just use waterless wash for door jams? how do you go about cleaning the door jams.
IsaacRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,398
You can use WW if you want. However, for my DD, what I do is I have a large "junk" microfiber from Walmart that I use for the door jambs, inside the trunk, and engine bay. Every time I wash the car, I dry the paint like normal then use that junk mf to wipe the areas I mentioned. There's enough water already in there that it cleans it nicely. If you do this every time you wash, it never gets a chance to get dirty.

I wouldn't do this if it was a show car because obviously you are introducing some damage by using crap microfiber and wiping dust, but on a DD it's perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Help me support breast cancer research by making a donation to my team
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
IsaacRN
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: El Paso
Posts: 55
I figured as much. I just seem to have a bit of dirt collecting on the plastic pieces in the hinges. So I didn't know how easily it would come off with just water and a junk microfiber.
IsaacRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Nick@Adams



 
Nick@Adams's Avatar
 
Drives: The shiny ones.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the detail shop!
Posts: 4,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacRN View Post

I was also wondering, could I just use waterless wash for door jams? how do you go about cleaning the door jams.
Yep... thats what I use on my door jambs every single wash... works great. I usually do it as I'm drying the car since there will be some water in there anyways.
__________________
Email: Nick@AdamsPolishes.com
Follow us on Facebook@AdamsPolishes
Use the code CAMARO5 or CORVETTE7 at checkout to save 10% off your next order at www.AdamsPolishes.com
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.