Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Circle-D
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
mmartian

Drives: 2011 Camaro XM Appearance Package
Keyed car-Estimate 530 dollars

I mentioned this in the past but my car was keyed a week or two ago most of it could be buffed out but there is about 1 1/2 inches that went through the paint (you can put your nail in the scratch) I got the estimate and it was 530 dollars. They want to do the whole front quarter panel, replace the camaro logo and the hockey stripe on the front quarter panel.

My question is do you think this is the right way to go? I want my baby to look exactly the same as it did before the scratch and I love the body shop (they have been storing my totaled car for over a month for free) or do you think replacing the stripe and repainting the entire quarter panel might mean they are doing too much and risk making something look not quite right?
mmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Someone kicked my driver's side door a while back. Estimate was over $800 (only $200 out of pocket with insurance), but I ended up paying it because I can't stand any imperfections on my Camaro. They fixed the dents and repainted the entire door, and I can't even tell it was ever repaired. Just make sure their work comes with a warranty.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I think you should consider yourself lucky they want to do a thorough job...better than going cheap and looking at an imperfection forever.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
mmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Someone kicked my driver's side door a while back. Estimate was over $800 (only $200 out of pocket with insurance), but I ended up paying it because I can't stand any imperfections on my Camaro. They fixed the dents and repainted the entire door, and I can't even tell it was ever repaired. Just make sure their work comes with a warranty.
Thanks, I will probably do it. The biggest problem i have is that i know its there all the time and I HATE when people are looking at that side of the car. Piece of mind is worth the 500
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
mine cost me 1500 bucks count yourself lucky
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
mmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I think you should consider yourself lucky they want to do a thorough job...better than going cheap and looking at an imperfection forever.
and the body man is a nice guy- talked to me an hour about my accident and called me by name when i came in today for an estimate. He said they might be able to make the stripe instead of buying it from the dealer but i am a little uneasy about that.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartian View Post
and the body man is a nice guy- talked to me an hour about my accident and called me by name when i came in today for an estimate. He said they might be able to make the stripe instead of buying it from the dealer but i am a little uneasy about that.
If they know what they are doing, let them make the stripe. Heck, a lot of dealerships sent out cars for striping and whatnot to independent shops before they even sell them as new. If it saves you some money, I'd let them do it. The dealership stuff is probably way over-priced anyway.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
If they know what they are doing, let them make the stripe. Heck, a lot of dealerships sent out cars for striping and whatnot to independent shops before they even sell them as new. If it saves you some money, I'd let them do it.
Yeah, my body kit was installed by some small shop down the street from the dealership. They outsource a lot of that stuff apparently.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
they want to repaint the quarter panel because a good job will entail blending 18" from the damaged area.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
mmartian

Quote:
If they know what they are doing, let them make the stripe. Heck, a lot of dealerships sent out cars for striping and whatnot to independent shops before they even sell them as new. If it saves you some money, I'd let them do it. The dealership stuff is probably way over-priced anyway.
Thanks that makes me a little more comfortable, I was introduced to them by the mechanic i use and everyone i have talked to says they are the best body shop- so i will trust them- i guess the worst that can happen is i have to redo it.

The only other thing that was on my mind is- this reportable to my car report (car fax) it would be a shame for 1 1/2 inch scratch.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
mmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Yeah, my body kit was installed by some small shop down the street from the dealership. They outsource a lot of that stuff apparently.
thanks I am totally new at this- all my previous cars would have been- oh its another scratch- its a shame.

I am learning a lot now
Old 05-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #12

Doubt it would on Car=Fax...even if it does, it shows you kept good care of your car!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
mmartian

Quote:
Doubt it would on Car=Fax...even if it does, it shows you kept good care of your car!
thanks! it doesnt take long to get answers to your concerns here
Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Who are these Ass-Hole Cowards that do this type of shit? God I wish I would walk out on someone doing the act... I wouldn't be posting on here for like 30 days after I got finished with them
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote