Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
mmartian

Drives: 2011 Camaro XM Appearance Package
Keyed car-Estimate 530 dollars

I mentioned this in the past but my car was keyed a week or two ago most of it could be buffed out but there is about 1 1/2 inches that went through the paint (you can put your nail in the scratch) I got the estimate and it was 530 dollars. They want to do the whole front quarter panel, replace the camaro logo and the hockey stripe on the front quarter panel.

My question is do you think this is the right way to go? I want my baby to look exactly the same as it did before the scratch and I love the body shop (they have been storing my totaled car for over a month for free) or do you think replacing the stripe and repainting the entire quarter panel might mean they are doing too much and risk making something look not quite right?
mmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Someone kicked my driver's side door a while back. Estimate was over $800 (only $200 out of pocket with insurance), but I ended up paying it because I can't stand any imperfections on my Camaro. They fixed the dents and repainted the entire door, and I can't even tell it was ever repaired. Just make sure their work comes with a warranty.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I think you should consider yourself lucky they want to do a thorough job...better than going cheap and looking at an imperfection forever.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
mmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Someone kicked my driver's side door a while back. Estimate was over $800 (only $200 out of pocket with insurance), but I ended up paying it because I can't stand any imperfections on my Camaro. They fixed the dents and repainted the entire door, and I can't even tell it was ever repaired. Just make sure their work comes with a warranty.
Thanks, I will probably do it. The biggest problem i have is that i know its there all the time and I HATE when people are looking at that side of the car. Piece of mind is worth the 500
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
mine cost me 1500 bucks count yourself lucky
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
mmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I think you should consider yourself lucky they want to do a thorough job...better than going cheap and looking at an imperfection forever.
and the body man is a nice guy- talked to me an hour about my accident and called me by name when i came in today for an estimate. He said they might be able to make the stripe instead of buying it from the dealer but i am a little uneasy about that.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartian View Post
and the body man is a nice guy- talked to me an hour about my accident and called me by name when i came in today for an estimate. He said they might be able to make the stripe instead of buying it from the dealer but i am a little uneasy about that.
If they know what they are doing, let them make the stripe. Heck, a lot of dealerships sent out cars for striping and whatnot to independent shops before they even sell them as new. If it saves you some money, I'd let them do it. The dealership stuff is probably way over-priced anyway.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
If they know what they are doing, let them make the stripe. Heck, a lot of dealerships sent out cars for striping and whatnot to independent shops before they even sell them as new. If it saves you some money, I'd let them do it.
Yeah, my body kit was installed by some small shop down the street from the dealership. They outsource a lot of that stuff apparently.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
they want to repaint the quarter panel because a good job will entail blending 18" from the damaged area.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
mmartian

Quote:
If they know what they are doing, let them make the stripe. Heck, a lot of dealerships sent out cars for striping and whatnot to independent shops before they even sell them as new. If it saves you some money, I'd let them do it. The dealership stuff is probably way over-priced anyway.
Thanks that makes me a little more comfortable, I was introduced to them by the mechanic i use and everyone i have talked to says they are the best body shop- so i will trust them- i guess the worst that can happen is i have to redo it.

The only other thing that was on my mind is- this reportable to my car report (car fax) it would be a shame for 1 1/2 inch scratch.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
mmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Yeah, my body kit was installed by some small shop down the street from the dealership. They outsource a lot of that stuff apparently.
thanks I am totally new at this- all my previous cars would have been- oh its another scratch- its a shame.

I am learning a lot now
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #12

Doubt it would on Car=Fax...even if it does, it shows you kept good care of your car!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
mmartian

Quote:
Doubt it would on Car=Fax...even if it does, it shows you kept good care of your car!
thanks! it doesnt take long to get answers to your concerns here
Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Who are these Ass-Hole Cowards that do this type of shit? God I wish I would walk out on someone doing the act... I wouldn't be posting on here for like 30 days after I got finished with them
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
DJ UNKNOWN

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmicasa the Great XvX View Post
Who are these Ass-Hole Cowards that do this type of shit? God I wish I would walk out on someone doing the act... I wouldn't be posting on here for like 30 days after I got finished with them
And i'd put money on your "books"
DJ UNKNOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
mmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmicasa the Great XvX View Post
I know who did mine, I went over and over in my head now I am sure. I was vacuuming my car and a guy wanted me to buy some car products from him. I bought a little but not enough, he is the one that spotted the damage after i was done with the vacuum.

I am done being friendly with guys who want to admire my car- i watch them like a hawk.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS LS3
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
Mine got keyed front to back down to the metal (with only 1200miles!!!!)

Its IOM so its not easy to blend the paint. Paid my $500 deductible. and had the dealer do it, it was like a $3000 job, and you cant tell anything ever happend.

Im sure they'll remove the quarter panel so their wont be any overspray. Sounds like the best way to do it.

Borla S Cat-Back, PFADT Tri-Y Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC Goodies
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Envious
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Twin Turbo Synergy RS Coupe
You didn't mention what color your car is. Depending on the location the shop will need to repair and restore the corrosion protection, blend within the damaged panel and clear coat the complete panel. If the damage is near an adjacent panel, they will need to blend the color coat and completely clear coat that panel too. They will need to de trim all the refinished panels. Replace the camaro emblem, and any stripes in the repaired area, they should also drop the bumper cover out of the way so there isn't a paint line. A good repair shop will guarantee their work for life. BTW. it is front fenders, rear quarters One last thing the quarters are on a different plane then the rest of the vehicle and GM a acknowledges because of this and the way the light hits the panels, they appear to not match. Also the front and rear covers don't match the body panels as they are made out of a different substrate Good luck.
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
Envious
Account Suspended

If you pay out of pocket it will not show up in car fax, but if you make a claim it will be reported through NICB, they report to car fax..
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
10BlkSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
This is why I love black cars.

Maxima SE (Traded)
Camaro SS
Hummer H3
10BlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10BlkSS View Post
This is why I love black cars.
...lol...this is why I went with Summit White!..lol
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #22
mmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious View Post
You didn't mention what color your car is. Depending on the location the shop will need to repair and restore the corrosion protection, blend within the damaged panel and clear coat the complete panel. If the damage is near an adjacent panel, they will need to blend the color coat and completely clear coat that panel too. They will need to de trim all the refinished panels. Replace the camaro emblem, and any stripes in the repaired area, they should also drop the bumper cover out of the way so there isn't a paint line. A good repair shop will guarantee their work for life. BTW. it is front fenders, rear quarters One last thing the quarters are on a different plane then the rest of the vehicle and GM a acknowledges because of this and the way the light hits the panels, they appear to not match. Also the front and rear covers don't match the body panels as they are made out of a different substrate Good luck.
Its cyber grey (silver stripe) and my understanding is they are getting the paint/stripe from the dealer but will try to manufacture the stripe if possible. When he was doing the estimate he mentioned dropping the bumber so it sounds like he is doing like you suggest. I saw a lot on line about painting yourself or getting just the scratch done but ultimatly I am going to go ahead and pay the 530- piece of mind. I was going to do the exhaust/headers instead i am getting her repaired
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
mmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious View Post
If you pay out of pocket it will not show up in car fax, but if you make a claim it will be reported through NICB, they report to car fax..
my deductable is 500 total cost 530= paying for it myself, thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
Mine got keyed front to back down to the metal (with only 1200miles!!!!)

Its IOM so its not easy to blend the paint. Paid my $500 deductible. and had the dealer do it, it was like a $3000 job, and you cant tell anything ever happend.

Im sure they'll remove the quarter panel so their wont be any overspray. Sounds like the best way to do it.
Do you have any ideal what involved with removing a Quarter panel just for over spray?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #25
Envious
Account Suspended

You can't remove the quarter. It welded on. If you mean the fender a good shop will mask the vehicle completely on the vehicle. By taking the fender off you run the risk to damaging it and ajacent panels. Some shops will even use a spray on mask, that turns to soap when water hits it. Aides in cleaning the car.