Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Possible bad Thermostat?

So my Camaro used to be my daily driver and now sits in my garage for weekend driving (if I get time). I took it down to have the engine oil cooler line adapter replaced (was leaking fluids). Now I notice that my car will slowly go up in temperature till it gets close to 250 and then it will cool back down.

I'm guessing the T-stat is stuck closed and opens when it reaches extreme temps.

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Fan sensor could be bad. The fans should fire at around 218 - 220 degrees. Go get that looked at as you can do damage if you overheat the car.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Fans work fine. They know the engines really hot. I wouldn't have known my car was getting that hot if my fans hadn't been full speed after a short drive.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Check to make sure you didn't get a trash sucked up in front of your radiator and it's blocking wind flow. Happens more often than you think.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Check to make sure you didn't get a trash sucked up in front of your radiator and it's blocking wind flow. Happens more often than you think.
Negative. Radiator is clean

Thinking of how a T-stat works (opens to provide cooler coolant to the engine when it reaches a certain temperature) the T-stat makes sense. If the fans or radiator were the problem, the temp would constantly rise and not go down.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
I'd bet it has an air pocket in the cooling system. They probably lost some coolant fixing the oil cooler, then didn't bleed the cooling system properly.

Start it cold with the rad cap off and let it idle for a few minutes, see if the level goes down while it is idling, and keep topping it off. After it warms up for a couple minutes have someone hold the rpms at about 2000 for about a minute and see if it goes down more, and keep topping it off. Then make sure the surge tank is at the full cold mark. Recheck both the rad and surge tank again the next day to see if it went down more after cooling off.

It's the - you touched it theory. They just messed with the coolant, I'd wager the coolant level they messed with isn't right. They didn't just touch the thermostat, that would be quite a coincidence for that to go bad now.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I'd bet it has an air pocket in the cooling system. They probably lost some coolant fixing the oil cooler, then didn't bleed the cooling system properly.

Start it cold with the rad cap off and let it idle for a few minutes, see if the level goes down while it is idling, and keep topping it off. After it warms up for a couple minutes have someone hold the rpms at about 2000 for about a minute and see if it goes down more, and keep topping it off. Then make sure the surge tank is at the full cold mark. Recheck both the rad and surge tank again the next day to see if it went down more after cooling off.

It's the - you touched it theory. They just messed with the coolant, I'd wager the coolant level they messed with isn't right. They didn't just touch the thermostat, that would be quite a coincidence for that to go bad now.
This is also a viable solution. I REALLY doubt the stat went bad, especially on a new car. Either way I would put a 160 degree in there.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
This is also a viable solution. I REALLY doubt the stat went bad, especially on a new car. Either way I would put a 160 degree in there.
Thats my plan anyways.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Well looks like Russell, you were right. Was about half full on coolant. Took it out for a spirited drive just now and hit 210 at the max. Going to check it again when it cools off.

Thanks for your help!