Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
erftbll81

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Red face Few Questions about upgrading Stereo (noob)

I've done a lot of searching and read probably 50 threads today on upgrading the stock radio. There doesn't seem to really be a consensus on which is the better dash kit to get. If there is a place i can go to read more about this stuff than can anyone point me in the right direction?

If i'm looking to spend about 1k on this upgrade what seems to be the best navigation system to get that will work best with the Scosche dash kit that will keep all of the current steering wheel control etc.

Is there really a difference between the Scosche kit and the Alpine kit? they look the same.

Where is the best place to purchase online?

Besides the actual Navigation system and the dash kit, what else do i need to buy? I dont mind not using the onstar or XM radio.

Is there any tutorials on installing this? ive installed stereos on some of my other cars and it was pretty simple, is this as straightforward?

Anything i'm missing?

I have a 2012 Coupe 1LT if it makes a difference

Thanks.
erftbll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
spckatnip

Drives: '11 2SS/RS 'Vert
Is there really a difference between the Scosche kit and the Alpine kit? they look the same.

I believe the only difference is the curve on the lower parts of the side openings for the radio so it matches up with the Alpine head unit while the Scosche is straight.

Where is the best place to purchase online?

Definitely use the sponsor first. Other things to try would be to find local clubs in your area and visit them while they are hanging out so you can see what they have done.

Besides the actual Navigation system and the dash kit, what else do i need to buy? I dont mind not using the onstar or XM radio.

I have the INA-W910 and it is Navigation, DVD player, CD player, iPod/USB device capable, HD Radio. There are modules to add OnStar and XM, but I believe all three aftermarket kits require them as they are not part of the radio (please correct me if I am wrong). I also added a back up camera to my system and bought a 10" subwoofer, amp, and a box from Subthump.

Is there any tutorials on installing this? ive installed stereos on some of my other cars and it was pretty simple, is this as straightforward?

Look in the DYI threads or do a search I do believe some of the good folks here have done pictures and write ups of the entire process.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
I think spckatnip has given you some good information and hopefully I can add to it for you. I have seen great feedback on both the Alpine kit and on the dash kit that Metra offers. The Metra kit will keep the factory OnStar working, but not XM or steering wheel controls.

The Alpine INA-W910 is an awesome stereo (my favorite by far from last year) and you will obviously be better off using the Alpine kit if you plan on going with this stereo. It's looking like Kenwood is also going to have some promising options this year for in-dash navigation. If you take a look at Kenwood, focus on the models numbers ending in "90" as those are the new models for 2012.

It does appear that there is a wealth of information on here in terms of installing a new stereo that will be helpful to you. There are also companies (although very few) that will provide you free technical support if you need it after the sale.

Hopefully this will give you some more insight!
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
erftbll81

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Thans for the replies, very helpful.
erftbll81 is offline   Reply With Quote