Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
JBL GTO vs Phoenix Gold Ti vs Rockford Fosgate Power series

I will be upgrading my base stereo speakers and would like input on which brand to get. I live in a rural moutainous area with small shops so I don't have the ability to hear them for myself. The speakers three diferent shops are recommending are JBL GTO series, Phoenix Gold Ti series and Rockford Fosgate Power series. I may add a amp and sub in the future, but may use the extra money on HP performance mods if the speafers sound good without the amp and sub. So please share your thoughts and experiences with these brands and what you would recommend for the novice listener. I'm looking to spend around $500 four four speakers and installation.
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
Honestly, any of those will be great. I went with Rockford Power Series myself, but those Phoenix Gold look beastly. The only thing I will say is that if you are planning on replacing just the speakers right now, you may want to go with the JBL GTO's. They have 70W RMS rating, and the factory amplifier puts out maybe 50W peak (probably closer to 15-20W RMS). I would think that the Rockford and Phoenix Gold would be pretty severely under powered.

If you plan on adding an amp to drive your speakers, then any of them will be great.

Since you are wanting to save money, get the cheapest set.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace
Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Cuda7050

Thanks Darkrider, thats the kind of insight I need.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
sorry i thought you were talking about subs
Old 05-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Cuda7050

So I was reading in another thread that rear speakers may not be necessary or desirable. I researched it and it sounds like I should focus on high quality component speakers in front, stay with with stock speakers in rear and then look to an amp/sub down the road if I feel the need for more base. Does this sound like a good approach?