Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
TSB......Recall......Warranty...... So what's the truth?

I didn't do a search to find the answer so can anyone answer this ............. ???

My AC has also went out as the folks in the other thread.
(though not sure the same reasons) My bumper to bumper was up at 36k miles (I have almost 60k) and my power train was gone LONG ago.

There is a TSB on the AC (but maybe not sure if my particular AC problem) and I recently learned on Bonnies Vette (had the rear diff noise that has the TSB on it) that my warranty on the Vette being expired makes me ineligible for the TSB to be done at no cost. (I then performed the TSB work myself on the Vette) They explained to me that a TSB is different than a recall. A recall covers all no matter what. A TSB is for cars under warranty?

So I just want to confirm that this is in fact the case.

FTR, this is a curiosity thing and NOT a complaint. Why bother the dealer who I HATE dealing with unless I can save some cash.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2LT/RS
Look up this website www.50stateslemonlaw.com/tsb.htm
Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I didn't do a search to find the answer so can anyone answer this ............. ???

My AC has also went out as the folks in the other thread.
(though not sure the same reasons) My bumper to bumper was up at 36k miles (I have almost 60k) and my power train was gone LONG ago.

There is a TSB on the AC (but maybe not sure if my particular AC problem) and I recently learned on Bonnies Vette (had the rear diff noise that has the TSB on it) that my warranty on the Vette being expired makes me ineligible for the TSB to be done at no cost. (I then performed the TSB work myself on the Vette) They explained to me that a TSB is different than a recall. A recall covers all no matter what. A TSB is for cars under warranty?

So I just want to confirm that this is in fact the case.

FTR, this is a curiosity thing and NOT a complaint. Why bother the dealer who I HATE dealing with unless I can save some cash.
Hey Randy - That stinks! My AC went out last summer, repaired under warranty 3 times was the charm It was in fact the TSB problem. A recall is only something related to safety on a car, from what I understand. Sometimes though, if it's a known problem, they will do something called "customer goodwill" I think, and repair it with minimal charge, maybe just labor but no charge for the part. I had a 98 Camaro that had power window problems. It was a known problem on those cars as the windows were really heavy and the motors were crap and didn't last. I had mine replaced with what I think was called "customer goodwill" and just paid the labor.

Here goes the wording on the last AC repair I had. Get ready for a novel.

Customer states AC is blowing hot again. See history. Check AC operation. The compressor is on, but not circulating refrigerant. The clutch shaft is again broken. PIC5294B requires the compressor replacement along with the dryer and system flushing. Also the body control module software needs to be updated. Recover the system (1.3pounds) printed. Replace the compressor. Compressor has 2.5 oz oil that did not need balancing. Remove the condenser to remove the dryer. Flush the entire system and dry for 30 minutes. Add necessary seals and install new dryer. Add oil to condenser and evaporator. Charge system to spec (1.32 oz) Reprogram the body control module to latest software. Code S198A Operate A/C in shop.

Parts listed:
1 92229743 Receiver 9.195
2 12378526 Lubricant 8.800
2 2724966 Seal Kit 9.222
1 52474373 Seal 9.222
2 52477087 Seal 9.222
1 9229740 *Cmpr 9.170
3 12356150 Refrig 8.800
4 12378526 Lubricant 8.800

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
PQ

Wow. Good to know.

I gotta say, I love my car and I wouldn't change a thing. I"d do everything over again but I've never had as many problems with any other car I've ever had.

From paint work to my DIC, my tachometer AC, lights, driveshaft and a few other small things.

I hope my AC is just a leak. :(
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, it covers problems found by technicians and engineers that are common to a system. They also cover things like proper fuels, use of cleaners, labor time revisions, work shop manual revisions...you get the picture. Just having a TSB on your car doesn't mean that you are entitled to get a part replaced if it isn't currently bad. TSB's are covered under warranty and sometimes Goodwill reimbursment.
A recall covers defects that have been found involving emissions or safety, and will be repaired regardless of mileage or whether the part is currently bad.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
PQ

Good info.

I wonder if the Fuse Pull TWB is covered after warranty?
Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi PQ. Sorry to hear about your AC problems. Unfortunately what was said about the recall and tsb's is true. The TSB's are for those cars having a certain problem but are only covered for this repair while under warranty. Recalls transcend warranties and are covered once issued. Customer Satisfaction Programs like Recalls are covered regardless of warranty but unlike recalls they have a time limit. There are a few of these on the newer Camaro which I have done my best to let those owners who are affected know about them. I hope this helps to explain the differences between these terms and between an actual recall and a Customer Satisfaction Program. If any of you have any other questions just let me know!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
kooltt

Drives: 2011 camaro
I have a 2011 RS camaro with 32k miles and the shaft broke and the a/c compressor was replaced 8/29 and I noticed that it started blowing hot air again last week. This new compressor has only been on a week. When I mentioned to the dealer that i found the tsb about it on the internet forum. He said you can't believe everything that you see on the internet. He said it was the first time he ever heard or seen a car with a broken air shaft. However, since the car is under warranty the compressor was replaced. Now, I have to call this dealer again. I hope i don't get any flap. I wonder how many times will I have to take my car back before it's fixed right.
kooltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooltt View Post
I have a 2011 RS camaro with 32k miles and the shaft broke and the a/c compressor was replaced 8/29 and I noticed that it started blowing hot air again last week. This new compressor has only been on a week. When I mentioned to the dealer that i found the tsb about it on the internet forum. He said you can't believe everything that you see on the internet. He said it was the first time he ever heard or seen a car with a broken air shaft. However, since the car is under warranty the compressor was replaced. Now, I have to call this dealer again. I hope i don't get any flap. I wonder how many times will I have to take my car back before it's fixed right.
He's right. You can't believe everything on the forums.

BUT, here we try to post the TSB numbers so it's easier to deal with the dealerships.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
A/C TSB Attached

The only bulletin I can find for the A/C on these cars is a fairly general one. It appears that they are seeking info on the failures since they may not have found the root cause. See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PIE0085.pdf (61.2 KB, 147 views)
Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
PQ did you get the HVAC reprogramming done prior to the failure?
There is a TSB to re-flash the BCM.