Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
yellowz
TREMEC6060 1-2 needs fix

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Took my car to the track, light yellow oil is now dark brown

I had the oil changed, Mobile2 synthetic, and it was clear light yellow before and after the change. A thousand or so miles later, I took the car to the track for a total of 8 quarter mile runs on two separate outings . Reving up to 6000 on my way down the track in cool temperatures. I did hit the rev limiter a few times. Now the oil is dark brown, not as dark as molassas, but darker than pancake syrup. Oil level is in the middle of the dipstick marker, as it was before I ran it hard.

It's a 2011 2SS, LS3, 6M, livernoise stage2 cam, Kooks headers, Corsa exhaust and AFE cold air intake. Otherwise stock. DIC says 81% Oil Life left.

All the temperatures stayed normal except the outside air that did read 71 degrees F when it was only about high 50's or low 60's at best outside. I attributed that to engine heat from coming off a quarter mile run.

Does the rather sudden change in oil color mean anything to one of you experts? Should I be concerned, or very concerned? Or is this just my engine reaching 7000 miles?

Other than oil color, everything else seems as normal as it was before pounding on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Sounds normal for making your engine work hard. That's the job of oil to protect it under load.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Bay Area SS

Drives: 2010 rs/2ss
yup sounds ok in my book
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
9072SS/RS

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS RS
So what were your times?
9072SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
AKG

Drives: Camaro SS 2010
That is oil purpose, its normal..
AKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
yellowz
TREMEC6060 1-2 needs fix

Times were embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9072SS/RS View Post
So what were your times?
Thanks for the letting me know the oil is Ok.

The best I've managed is 13.473. I just can't get a quick start and I tend to just dump the clutch and spin a bit. I'm working on it, but even if I get first gear to go smoothly, I then have to work on not spinning wheels in second. The track seems a lot like driving on icy roads. My wheels don't spin on dry asphalt with Stock P-Zero's. But I don't get much practice on regular pavement, other than the freeway onramp, and that ends halfway through second gear, to stay legal, so not much to compare.

Oh yeah, I'm an old fart so my reaction times are not that good. Even trying to launch on the third yellow, I can't get a good RT. But the main thing is learning to ease out the clutch and grab, and then press the accelerator smoothly and evenly without breaking loose. I think I know how to do it, I just can't actually do it, just like a big fat gymnastics coach can't do any of the stuff he tells his 85 pound gymnast girls to do.

I did read the stuff on this link http://www.rangeracceleration.com/ which seems like good advice to me.

But the thing I was worried about is that I had the original oil changed with about 30 percent Oil Life left, and it was still light yellow. The new oil was the same color until now. And I thought I had done some rather extreme accelerations on the onramp, not quite to redline, but shifting into second at 6000, or nearby ,quite a few times, and then into third at whatever I could manage under conditions.

Thinking about it, all my road driving for 7000 miles probably doesn't equal more than 2 to 5 percent of the over 5000 RPM time that I've done on the track. So maybe the oil just changes color at high RPMS and higher than normal engine tempratures, if sustained enough and I have just been driving within legal limits so that the oil never got stressed like track conditions.

On another note, my stock P-Zero tires don't seem to show any wear like I was worried about, even though I pulled out a bunch of melted rubber from the rear wheel wells. Musta been the slippery stuff from the track that I was sliding on.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
Mongoose03

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
You need to stay out of the water box with street tires

Mongoose03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Camaro1954

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
One old fart to another, I'm taking mine to the track this summer with a bunch of my Ford fanatic neighbors. I'll let you know how it turns out. It feels as good as it did in the 70's, but I'm not sure about my reaction time now as opposed to 40 years ago.
Attached Images

Last edited by Camaro1954; 05-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Camaro1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Oil oxidizes and becomes significantly darker very quickly when it's in an engine...it gets aerated very easily in there. It's fine. If the oil stinks like fuel then you have a problem, but your car isn't very modified, so I'm sure the tune in it is fine.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowz View Post
I had the oil changed, Mobile2 synthetic, and it was clear light yellow before and after the change. A thousand or so miles later, I took the car to the track for a total of 8 quarter mile runs on two separate outings . Reving up to 6000 on my way down the track in cool temperatures. I did hit the rev limiter a few times. Now the oil is dark brown, not as dark as molassas, but darker than pancake syrup. Oil level is in the middle of the dipstick marker, as it was before I ran it hard.

It's a 2011 2SS, LS3, 6M, livernoise stage2 cam, Kooks headers, Corsa exhaust and AFE cold air intake. Otherwise stock. DIC says 81% Oil Life left.

All the temperatures stayed normal except the outside air that did read 71 degrees F when it was only about high 50's or low 60's at best outside. I attributed that to engine heat from coming off a quarter mile run.

Does the rather sudden change in oil color mean anything to one of you experts? Should I be concerned, or very concerned? Or is this just my engine reaching 7000 miles?

Other than oil color, everything else seems as normal as it was before pounding on it.
Maybe you should've gotten Mobil1 instead of Mobil 2. .
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
What was the trap speed? That's a good indication of what the car could run with traction.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
yellowz
TREMEC6060 1-2 needs fix

Typo spotter sL99CAMA2011 is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Maybe you should've gotten Mobil1 instead of Mobil 2. .
It was Mobile 1 synthetic from the Chevy Dealer and what GM recommends. I made sure before they did it that they would use the recommended oil from the manual. They say they did and charged me accordingly.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
yellowz
TREMEC6060 1-2 needs fix

Trap speed 109.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
What was the trap speed? That's a good indication of what the car could run with traction.
I know the car can do low 12's. The driver can't just yet. A little more practice and using the power judiciously will help bring the ET down.