Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #1
SS_RS11

Drives: '13 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Lowered ZL1

I just installed Pfadt 1.25" lowering springs on my ZL1. The car has gone down a bit but not as much as i thought. There is a lowered 1LE in my area with the same setup that sits lower. I havent done the alignment yet but will that really make a difference? I plan to do it this weekend. How much time should I give it to settle? Haven't driven it much since the install its my weekend car.
SS_RS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: Not fast enough
It will most definitely make a difference. I would drive it for about 100 miles to let the springs settle and then take it for alignment. Also VERY IMPORTANT that you have all the bolts/bushings on the suspension "clocked".

You will be very pleased after that.

See thread below for reference:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153188
Old 04-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Did you remember to time your other suspension bushings? If not you're loosing some of the drop effect. You need to loosen the other suspension bushings with the car sitting on all four wheels, the suspension will readjust and then re-tighten those bushings. If you do a search, one of the vendors on here actually put up a diagram showing which components need clocking/timed. Hope this helps.

Edit: Sorry, above post was not visible when I submitted this. Disregard
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
SS_RS11

A mechanic installed them for me and I would say he did not do that. Ive had other cars in the past lowered and didn't know that info. Good stuff. All he told me was that i did not need an alignment because he didnt remove the dampers. I was still going to do it for peace of mind. I need to find someone who look for the things yall have mentioned.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_RS11 View Post
A mechanic installed them for me and I would say he did not do that. Ive had other cars in the past lowered and didn't know that info. Good stuff. All he told me was that i did not need an alignment because he didnt remove the dampers. I was still going to do it for peace of mind. I need to find someone who look for the things yall have mentioned.

Your mechanic is "talking out of his ass"! He did have the alignment equipment in his shop? If not then you need an alignment shop with the proper tools! The geometry changed so it needs to be realigned as stated by the others. The bushings and other parts need to be "timed". Search for the Gen5 alignment thread started by Justice Pete, it explains a lot which will hopefully help you not fall into this situation ever again.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
JDP Tyler

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_RS11 View Post
He didn't remove the dampers? Then how did he install the springs? LOL

Any time you lower, the wheels will camber in and toe will change as well. Find a new shop and get the bushings timed and the alignment adjusted.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | Facebook | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
SS_RS11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
He didn't remove the dampers? Then how did he install the springs? LOL

Any time you lower, the wheels will camber in and toe will change as well. Find a new shop and get the bushings timed and the alignment adjusted.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Your mechanic is "talking out of his ass"! He did have the alignment equipment in his shop? If not then you need an alignment shop with the proper tools! The geometry changed so it needs to be realigned as stated by the others. The bushings and other parts need to be "timed". Search for the Gen5 alignment thread started by Justice Pete, it explains a lot which will hopefully help you not fall into this situation ever again.
Lol Im only telling you guys what he told me!
Just read the thread, wow! I wish I read this before and had the means of installing this myself! Ok so during the alignment process, are the bushings and other parts re-clocked? Ill need to find an alignment shop that knows what they're doing but its no easy task in this city.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
camaro500

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Print out the timing bushing chart and torque specs, available on this site. Go to a reputable shop and give them that information and ask for an alignment.
It will set you back a couple hundred but it is necessary.
Your ride height will change after you drive out of that alignment shop.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Marry Christmas!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Camaro Bushing Timing.pdf (418.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf Suspension Hardware Sizes.pdf (27.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf Suspension Torque Specs.pdf (2.66 MB, 15 views)
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Reservoir kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 5% Under drive Pulley, Dash-Logic controller, 3m Clear Bra, ZL1 Mirror inserts, GM Interior Ambient lighting, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, Carbon Fiber Bow ties front & rear, ZL1 DRL lighting harness.

KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #10
SS_RS11

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro500 View Post
Print out the timing bushing chart and torque specs, available on this site. Go to a reputable shop and give them that information and ask for an alignment.
It will set you back a couple hundred but it is necessary.
Your ride height will change after you drive out of that alignment shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Marry Christmas!
Wow thanks alot guys! I printed everything I need now ill try to find a reputable shop but if not then off to the dealership.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #11
jjgixxer

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Timing the bushings make a huge difference. I just put a set of coilovers and had drove the car to my house and back to the shop. I started timing the bushings and it's amazing when they start getting loose they pop from being under load and stress.
jjgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote