Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
sakino

Drives: 2012 camaro ls inferno orange
Car running "rich"?

My pops was a mechanicbefore he retired and "rich" was the term he used. he asked me why my car was running so rich and that I should have it looked at. When I asked what he ment, he reach down and wiped the exhaust pipe with his finger and showed me that there was a lot of black soot on his finger and followed that up by saying the car is not using all of the gas properly and that's what's causing the excess black in the tail pipes. Now before he said that I took noticed that I'm averaging 15.3 mpg at about 23ish mph since my fill up two days ago. I have a v6 but I just thought the terrible mileage was from me lead footing it from most stop lights and such. What do you guys think? The only mods in the car are a CAI and an mrt v2 axle back setup.
sakino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Rangore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
I have the same issues. I'm always cleaning the tail pipes. I have a CAI CAI and Solo CAT back. Will the warranty even look at this since we changed our intake and exhaust?
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
The V6's do run on the rich side from the factory, nothing to worry about. What people don't realize is that on the stock mufflers there is a little hole to release "some of" the carbon, when you go with an aftermarket exhaust the carbon goes out the back. Take a look under any stock V6 muffler, you'll see that I mean.

Also as you get miles on your car your mpg's will improve, how many mile do you have?

In fact, here is a picture of the bottom of my old mufflers and this was only after 1500 miles:

Last edited by nyrfan; 05-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
not only does it run rich from factory but tell your pops that this is a direct injected engine which will black out the tips more than port injected vehicles. I was running 13 afr and still was getting black soot.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Rangore

Does a Trifecta Tune take care of this, just reduce it, or no change?
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb - Phoenix Gold iAMP-GM1 sub box w/amp, Lorenzo WL27 wheels
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
sakino

Drives: 2012 camaro ls inferno orange
I've got 2200 miles on it so far. So basically nothing to worry about then most likely? Any increase in mileage would be awesome lol...it just sounds so...awesome when you open it up!
sakino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I don't understand all the "V6 runs rich" posts.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Rangore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
TooCool5...you're just too cool to have black crap on your tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
i feel like people in the past have been wrong about a lot of things. even my dad said that a muffler delete was not good, it will decrease back pressure. but ya black on the tips is fine. i have yet to own a car that doesn't have black on the tips.

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
You seem to always talk how you tips are never black. Ever think maybe there is actually wrong with your car.

I've not read of anyone besides you that has the cold start issue, and you seem to be the only one with clean tips! Maybe you car is running abnormally lean which is much worse.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
You seem to always talk how you tips are never black. Ever think maybe there is actually wrong with your car.

I've not read of anyone besides you that has the cold start issue, and you seem to be the only one with clean tips! Maybe you car is running abnormally lean which is much worse.
If there is something wrong, the Dealer nor GM cares to figure it out.
They just say no codes.
A lean condition would set a lean code.
So guess I'm good to go. Just have to wait for the idle to come down on re- starts.