Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
My 3-Bucket Wash Process - Uncut.

Last week I setup a camera to film my entire wash process from start to finish, mainly at the request of a customer who had seen how my black Avalanche had looked thru most of its life. He has been struggling to keep his black truck swirl free and wanted to know how I did it. What better way than to just show the process, start to finish? Obviously I've sped this up so you don't have to watch me wash a truck for an hour+, but it is uncut... every part... how I wash my rides every time to minimize swirling.

Please... any questions feel free to ask. Also, this is an ever evolving process as anyones wash routine should be. When you see an area for improvement GO FOR IT!

So why 3 buckets?

I started to notice that in some of my washes the 2nd bucket was still getting a fair amount of grit in the bottom. Wanting to eliminate the chances it made it back to the paint I added a 3rd bucket with another grit guard. My goal is to have ZERO contamination by the time I make it to that last bucket.

Bucket 1:
Pure water. this is used to scrub loose the majority of the debris. The wash media is scrubbed against the insert, combed thru with my fingers and given a quick visual inspection.

Bucket 2:
Pure water. This bucket gets much the same process as the first, once again scrubbing against the grit guard, pulling out of the water and inspecting for debris.

Bucket 3:
Water with soap. When your wash mitt reaches this bucket it should be clean and free of debris minimizing your chances of swirling. Make sure the mixture is heavy and a thick later of soap is created at setup.

You'll also notice the addition of a foam gun to the process. I'd like to stress this is NOT a requirement, but more a thing of convenience. Using solid technique you can perform a proper swirl free wash without a foam gun... it just makes it faster/easier. Also, before anyone says anything - the gun I'm using is actually from the pre-china gilmour days... I've had it for awhile.

The process itself is pretty basic.
  • Start with the wheels as always.
  • Rinse really well before introducing soap.
  • Foam the vehicle completely.
  • Merino Wash Mitt for the upper 2/3rds working 1 panel with each side of the mitt.
  • Rinse. Inspect. Rinse. Inspect. Prime and repeat.
  • Switch over to 2nd wash mitt or pad for lower 1/3rd following same process.
  • Optional - Foam the vehicle again anywhere the soap may have started to dry.
  • Power rinse with a strong stream from the hose.
  • Sheet rinse to reduce standing water.
  • Blaster Sidekick to knock loose bulk of remaining water.
  • Great White Drying Towel + Detail Spray to dry
  • Hit again with Blaster Sidekick to get water out of cracks.
  • Touchup with Great White + Detail Spray
  • Waterless Wash + Waterless Wash Towel for door jambs, engine bay, and wheels.

Total time start to finish for this wash was 1h 17m
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429

DYLAN FOR PRES 2012!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
wow! It's unbelievable that you can wash your car in 9 minutes with such great detail! But seriously, thanks for the video and the process. I have used two buckets but not three... I need to upgrade
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Three bucket wash!! Oh shhhhhhhhhoot! Another bucket and grit guard...Dylan are you long on these? Just kidding, but a daily special @ Adams seems in order...Even in real time you are quick at 1 hour +...I have the GMC of that truck and I'm at 2 hrs or so getting stuff out, wash/dry and put stuff up..makes one look forward to the car...

I did not think about the second foam rinse for the dried soap. The great whites, wash mitts and super VRT(not to mention detail and WW) are some of my Adams favorites...Thanks for the vid...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Nick@Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Bumble Bee View Post
wow! It's unbelievable that you can wash your car in 9 minutes with such great detail!
LOL... if only that were the reality... I'd have so much spare time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Bumble Bee View Post
But seriously, thanks for the video and the process. I have used two buckets but not three... I need to upgrade
Don't feel like you have to... thats not really want I want to scare people into doing. My suggestion is the next time you complete your 2 bucket wash let the water settle out for a few hours, then take a look. If theres a reasonable amount of grit at the bottom of your 'clean' bucket then it might be worth adding a 3rd. Hell, I know guys who have gone 6 buckets deep in a wash - 3 for each half.

As I always say - Detailing is just varying levels of crazy.... you're either a little crazy or a lot crazy, but we're all crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Three bucket wash!! Oh shhhhhhhhhoot! Another bucket and grit guard...Dylan are you long on these? Just kidding, but a daily special @ Adams seems in order...Even in real time you are quick at 1 hour +...I have the GMC of that truck and I'm at 2 hrs or so getting stuff out, wash/dry and put stuff up..makes one look forward to the car...

I did not think about the second foam rinse for the dried soap. The great whites, wash mitts and super VRT are some of my Adams favorites...Thanks for the vid...
I've been at this as a job for 14-15 years now... I've had some time to work on getting quick with my processes. When I stopped the camera on the process it was 1h 17m... that didn't include setup time either (drag hose out, prep buckets, gather supplies, etc.) and break down time (cleanup hose, clean brushes and mitts, etc) so it was probably closer to 2h so you're about right.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Thanks for the video, Dylan! Looks like I'm going to need to get another bucket and grit guard!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
I like the video, but had to turn down the music in less than the first minute. Just couldn't listen to that any longer. What horrible mix. Made me wish the video was over within the first 15 seconds.... I think I'm getting old.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
JorgeSS
Mayhem SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SW/IOM
nice vid!
imma try and get another bucket and grit guard

La Muerte Z71 - Stock 5.3 Tuned by File
JorgeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Drives: 2012 Chevy Silverado ZL1
Awesome video Dylan! I'm motivated to make one of my process and post it up now!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Nick@Adams

Kind of strange to see the whole process from another POV... also cool to watch how the soap and water run off the paint with a fresh coat of sealant on there.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Sweatshirt in California??? Lol jk nice video.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Nick@Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
LOL... had to dig it out of the deepest recesses of my closet
Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Drives: 2012 Chevy Silverado ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
There was a slight breeze towards the end of the video! Like winter for SoCal folks!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Nice video dylan. See you this weekend buddy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
Nick@Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
Nice video dylan. See you this weekend buddy.

Yup Yup! Philly here I come!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Now that you're done, you can come by and wash my car.

j/k. Great instruction!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Excellent video!!!

Will definitely help me!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post

DYLAN FOR PRES 2012!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #19
camtx45

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 45th Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
[*]Optional - Foam the vehicle again anywhere the soap may have started to dry.
DOH

It is a real challenge for me to finish washing before the soap starts to dry. (gotta love black cars in Houston). I have to spray the car with water after every section to try to keep it wet and still have times where I can see soap drying or water spots forming. For some reason I can't even figure out right now, I was afraid to use the foam gun after the pad.... I just used water.

Does foaming the car rather than just using water do a better job of removing dried soap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
camtx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: I drive the green one
Awesome
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: ZL1
Man I hate to say anything about my favorite detailing wiz's washing methods ,but why would you use the same brush on the wheel wells as the wheels themselves? I also noticed that you would do a wheel then a wheel well and then a wheel again with the same brush without rinsing it. I think this could be hard on the wheels finish because you can pick up loads of bad stuff in the wheel wells. I always rinse out the wheel wells and the wheels first when I rinse the entire vehicle to start ,but I always wash the wheels and then the wheel wells lasts. I also use a separate, brush for the wheel wells and separate wash mitt for the wheels. I was always taught to start at the top and work your way down for the best results at keeping swirls at bay.

Thanks for the video. Just an observation I made.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #22
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
He used two different brushes. One was for the rims and the other was for the tires/wheel well. He rinsed the brushes as he went. IMO you always want to clean the wheels/tires/wheel wells before you wash the vehicle. I personally go back over the rims with a mf towel after the vehicle is wash and dried. That's just my preference.

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #23
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
WoW... good stuff...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #24
Nick@Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtx45 View Post
DOH

It is a real challenge for me to finish washing before the soap starts to dry. (gotta love black cars in Houston). I have to spray the car with water after every section to try to keep it wet and still have times where I can see soap drying or water spots forming. For some reason I can't even figure out right now, I was afraid to use the foam gun after the pad.... I just used water.

Does foaming the car rather than just using water do a better job of removing dried soap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I find that soap losens up a little easier if you add more soap... might just be in my head, but with only a little left of my mix in the canister anyways no harm.

The best way to fight spots is work when the light is less intense... start at sunrise, or work around sunset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Man I hate to say anything about my favorite detailing wiz's washing methods ,but why would you use the same brush on the wheel wells as the wheels themselves? I also noticed that you would do a wheel then a wheel well and then a wheel again with the same brush without rinsing it. I think this could be hard on the wheels finish because you can pick up loads of bad stuff in the wheel wells. I always rinse out the wheel wells and the wheels first when I rinse the entire vehicle to start ,but I always wash the wheels and then the wheel wells lasts. I also use a separate, brush for the wheel wells and separate wash mitt for the wheels. I was always taught to start at the top and work your way down for the best results at keeping swirls at bay.

Thanks for the video. Just an observation I made.
You might need to watch the video again.

I used 2 separate brushes - one for fenders and tires, one for wheels. The brushes were rinsed as well.

0:15-0:34 boars hair wheel brush with green wheel cleaner on wheel faces... rinsed in between.
0:37-1:01 fender and tire brush with APC on tires and fender liners... rinsed in between.

As far as starting with the wheels, why introduce water to your paint, and let it sit while you clean your wheels? Just increases the chances of water spotting. Thats why wheels always get cleaned first.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Dylan, you need a bed liner for that nice truck!