Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
kfm237

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
GM possiblly buying back my 2012 SS

I bought a new 2012 45th anniversary SS (L99) in December. The car has been at the dealer several times for the Dexcool reacting with the rubber hoses and giving off a foul smell that comes through the vents. The car will stink up a garage if it's parked in one. The engine compartment just smells foul!!.. This problem started from the time I purchased the car, but I along with the dealership thought it was just assembly oils burning off the engine in the beginning.

The dealer has attempted to repair the car 3 times. Each time the smell goes away but slowly returned after 400-800 miles. The car currently has 4400 miles on it. They state that they contacted engineering each time and were told to just perform the same procedure. There is a TSB out for this problem. Flush the engine several times, change all the hoses, flush again and then replace the coolant.

Prior to the third attempt, I informed the service manager to inform his superiors and engineering that I wanted either another Camaro or them to buy back the car if the fix didn't work. Well the 3rd fix didn't work!

Today, the service manager stated that the regional rep needs to see the car and confirm the problem before I can get another Camaro or they buy it back. I asked him how that would work, but he said he didn't know. He said he's never had one like this, but will find out.

My question is: if they agree to it, am I going to get a new comparable Camaro or the purchase price I paid or is everything going to be prorated based on my cars use/milage??
kfm237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
Dang, I just read the bulletin for that (PIP4988). Quite a process!

Generally you can get a like vehicle with no problem. Alternatively, they can give you credit toward the purchase of a different vehicle. Bottom line is that you have options. I believe there is an 800 number somewhere in your manual that you can call with questions about arbitration. They should be able to explain the available options.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
I bought a new 2012 45th anniversary SS (L99) in December. The car has been at the dealer several times for the Dexcool reacting with the rubber hoses and giving off a foul smell that comes through the vents. The car will stink up a garage if it's parked in one. The engine compartment just smells foul!!.. This problem started from the time I purchased the car, but I along with the dealership thought it was just assembly oils burning off the engine in the beginning.
WTF. They still use Death Cool in these cars?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
WTF. They still use Death Cool in these cars?
They do, but apparently its the curing of the hose rubber that causes the odor, not the coolant.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
kfm237

It's a really foul smell and is noticable from over 20 feet away, if the wind is right..
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Is this happening to all C5 Cars? Seems that if it smells that bad, more folks would have it or complained about it?

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: yummy
This is the first I've heard of such a thing. I'm amazed if it's that bad it didn't go viral.
motorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
While this is a state by state arbitration process, I can tell you how it went for me. I had this happen about 15 years ago and what they did was place a value on the lemon (not considering devalue because of the problem) and then they applied that against a new vehicle of my choice.

I had the option of them finding me a comparable vehicle but in my mind, this was just a bad idea. I had no idea where the used car came from and the reasons the owner traded it in.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
GM recently bought my 2011 vert back. It's best for you to start the process through your states better business bureau. If you're serious about it, that is.
You should research your states lemon laws, read the lemon law handbook that you signed you received when you bought your car. If you meet the criteria you have a case.
Depending on what you agree to.. buyback and repurchase.. straight buy back.. or dealer assisted repurchase (worst deal for you), you will be given a full refund.. tax/tag/title fees minus an allowance for mileage and any damage on the car.
http://www.bbb.org/us/new-jersey-lemon-law/

Filing a case with the BBB is one process.. GM is then on the clock to come to an agreement with you for the successfull resolution of your complaint.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
My 2012 45th does this. Stinks to high heaven when hot. I'm going to take notice of this now.
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Mine is just fine.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
Mine is just fine.
Hence why I asked.

Not saying you don't have a problem or case. Do not take it wrong!

Just seems funny how some folks get a bad build and others don't or how you would expect this to be common on all cars since they use the same hoses, dexcool, engines and such.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
kfm237

Ok, I just quickly checked up on the NJ Lemon Law.. It appears that I qualify... They would have to buy back the car at full purchase price plus tax, tags & title fees less a reasonable allowance use based on milage.. The reasonable allowance is the milage when the issue was first documented to the dealer times the purchase price divided by 100,000..

Well I have it 1st documented ( out of the 5 times it's documented ) at 503 miles at two weeks after I purchased the car.. I actually called them up two days after having the car, but it's not documented. So the reasonable allowance is going to work out to something under $200 dollars...

The reasonable allowance rate does not apply to a replacement vehicle, which means a brand new car...

As of now, I have an appointment set up for the regional rep to check the car out. I am going to wait to see what they have to say and offer.. All I want is a comparable camaro, it doesn't have to be the 45th anniversary model.. But if they mess around & play games.. I will sue them more than just for the lemon law... This foul smell makes me feel nauseous and could be toxic for all I know..

I also have it documented by a on duty fireman the day they said it was assembly lube burning off the engine. I had him make sure it wasn't an exhaust leak with the fire departments carbon monoxide detector.. He believed it was plastic or chemical in nature...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
kfm237

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
They do, but apparently its the curing of the hose rubber that causes the odor, not the coolant.
It might be more of a chemical reaction between the Dexcool and the rubber hoses..
Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
Dadnkid

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS, 2012 Traverse LS
Any updates???
Dadnkid is offline   Reply With Quote