Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Unhappy This stain is small but driving me nuts!

Hello everyone!

Well im writing today about help removing a stain:(…. The other day I left a bottle of body spray in my cupholder. I guess with the heat (living in Florida) made the bottle not explode, but leak a little. Most of it leaked into my cupholder which I easily cleaned out. A little bit of it dropped on the silver part of the center console. I do not have a picture of this, its just a small stain the size of a dime in the silver part. I tried using Armorall interior cleaning wipes but barely did anything. I was wondering if you guys know of any good cleaner that could get rid of this?

I included an image with a red square around where the stain is to better help show it. It’s just a generic image but resembles my car. What do you guys think? Any help would be awesome!
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
The only thing that comes to mind is replacing it or trying Optimum Power clean. Would be nice to see it in a picture. Sorry to see tbis happen to you.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
fbodyauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
The only thing that comes to mind is replacing it or trying Optimum Power clean. Would be nice to see it in a picture. Sorry to see tbis happen to you.

Thanks, I will pick that up and try it out. If not, I can always replace it (maybe an excuse to get the leather center consoles I have seen on here lo). It sucks but it is bound to happen, also it is barely noticable but since only having the car for about a month its on my mind..... Grrr

PS
I see the cleaner online, do you know if they would sell at advance or autozone?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Can you 'feel' the stain at all? Is it something, like a residue that is stuck on the surface, or is it completely flat and even to the surface?
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
You're likely not going to find a good product for this job at autozone.

Before you pull the trigger on ordering though, maybe post a picture of it.

Oddly enough this isn't the first time I've heard of this happening, and in the previous case a cleaner wasn't enough to remove the discoloration caused by some Axe body spray.

Does the spot 'feel' any different than the surrounding area. Not sure whats in those body sprays, but the other case of this it actually bubbled the surface slightly.

Edit - Todd beat me to it.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
fbodyauto

Getting picture in a minute, stay tuned...
Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
fbodyauto

Here it is...
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
fbodyauto

And you can not feel it. It feels just like the rest of this part... I don't know if that helps.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Todd@Autopia

If you cannot feel or detect that it is slightly higher than the rest of the surface (like product that has dried on top of it) then it is likely that the solvents have actually penetrated and stained the plastic itself. IF this is the case you can remove it.

Hopefully it is just a very thin residue stain. You can try a high quality APC, such as the one suggested by Angelo or even diluted ispropyl alcohol.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
fbodyauto

Thank you Todd and everyone else. I am going to see if there is anything I can pickup around me, if not I will order the product Angelo mentioned.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Think of what that crap is doing to your body if it does that to your car
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
fbodyauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Think of what that crap is doing to your body if it does that to your car

I keep it on clothes, but good point....
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodyauto View Post
Thanks, I will pick that up and try it out. If not, I can always replace it (maybe an excuse to get the leather center consoles I have seen on here lo). It sucks but it is bound to happen, also it is barely noticable but since only having the car for about a month its on my mind..... Grrr

PS
I see the cleaner online, do you know if they would sell at advance or autozone?
There are few sites that sale it, just Google it.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Don't feel bad, a few years back I had a scented oil air freshner clipped on the ac duct in my Hummer, after sitting in the hot sun all day it leaked out as did your bottle. It dripped down the heater and radio controls literally melting the trim. I was rip roaring mad. I ended up relacing it with a new one, not the trim, the Hummer.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
fbodyauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Don't feel bad, a few years back I had a scented oil air freshner clipped on the ac duct in my Hummer, after sitting in the hot sun all day it leaked out as did your bottle. It dripped down the heater and radio controls literally melting the trim. I was rip roaring mad. I ended up relacing it with a new one, not the trim, the Hummer.

Wow! Well im sorry about that happening to you in the past. Same thing happened to my 94 Camaro, though was an older car and had its own cosmetic issues besides just that. Hopefully I do not need to replace anything for my Camaro, I will order that stuff tonight!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
CFD

Quote:
Wow! Well im sorry about that happening to you in the past. Same thing happened to my 94 Camaro, though was an older car and had its own cosmetic issues besides just that. Hopefully I do not need to replace anything for my Camaro, I will order that stuff tonight!
The areas that were'nt to bad and had minor staining didn't clean up, I hope you have better luck, fortunately if you cannot get it out it is an easy piece to replace
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
fbodyauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
The areas that were'nt to bad and had minor staining didn't clean up, I hope you have better luck, fortunately if you cannot get it out it is an easy piece to replace

Yea true... If it doesnt clean up, is there a gmparts site that sells this part?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
CFD

Quote:
Yea true... If it doesnt clean up, is there a gmparts site that sells this part?
Check themembers classified section, I think I remember seeing one for sale a few days ago.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #19
fbodyauto

Thank you Angelo and Todd, and everyone else. Just purchased this with the 10% off at Autopia! Hopefully this works, and seems like a good cleaner for any future issues :/
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Thank you Angelo and Todd, and everyone else. Just purchased this with the 10% off at Autopia! Hopefully this works, and seems like a good cleaner for any future issues :/
Optimum Power Clean is one of the best APC's I have ever used. You can dilute it and even use it on leather. It will remove bugs, tar, and even deep clean tires and wheels. It is one of our most popular products with professional detailers. (I always try to make lemons form lemonade).

See how it works.

Heck you could even pull the trim and repaint it yourself (body color or whatever).

Best of luck and make sure to let us know how it turns out!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
fbodyauto

Will do. I see you are located nearby? For future reference does Autopia have a store in Orlando/Stuart?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Will do. I see you are located nearby? For future reference does Autopia have a store in Orlando/Stuart?
Autopia-CarCare is based out of Stuart Florida. It is part of the PBMG warehouse. We don't have a store per say, but you can order anything you want online and pick it up at the site.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Lighter fluid (no, not lit). If that does not remove it then the stain is inset into the plastic and it can either be sanded and repainted or replaced.

Some items that you should be careful of are: deodorants, tanning solutions, body sprays, all hair care products. These things are rough on the cars surfaces.

To remove most things an oil based remover is best, which is why I say lighter fluid. Other products can dry out the parts causing future problems. You can also try WD40.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Autopia-CarCare is based out of Stuart Florida. It is part of the PBMG warehouse. We don't have a store per say, but you can order anything you want online and pick it up at the site.
Close but yet so far. If I order from you guys not only do I get hit with shipping, I get hit with tax.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #25
fbodyauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post

I will remember this if I order alot at once, could save a bit on shipping!