Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
OlePhu

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Is it worth $300-400 for a CAI on a 2013 Camaro LS V6?

So I got a 2013 Camaro LS with the V6 engine manual tranny. I could have gotten a V8 but was concerned about gas mileage...okay, not really but this only had 7000 miles on it and still had the new leather smell and was the right price so I got it, knowing I would be doing some mods. The previous owner had done a muffler delete and it sounded like crap so I put on Magnaflows and it sounds much better...not as obnoxious. It still has a little drone at 2-3000 rpm but not really offensive...the a/c fan bothers me more.

I've been doing a lot of reading, including Jannetty's testing, but most of what I've read has been in regards to the big dog engines and most posts are a few years old. Technology has probably changed some of the results so I'm not sure where CAI's stand now. I know a lot of information is still valid today but my concern is if I do get something like Cold Air Inductions® or Roto-Fab (the 2 I'm leaning towards due to cosmetics in addition to perceived performance), would I realize any added value, other than stroking my ego? This is my everyday drive and I'm not out romping with 'stangs ... I'm just looking for something that might help the engine last a little longer and being in Florida, I've got the heat going against me already.

Thank for any help.
OlePhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged V6
Imo I believe those are the best two choices. I had a CAI INC intake and it was a great intake. Roto fab is a good intake too.

There's occasionally an intake or two in the members marketplace so keep an eye out for that. New or used it'll be worth it.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX
Agreed. Very happy with my CAI intake. Great quality and fitment. Sounds good also and at the very least, is allowing the engine to breath better. Worth it.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill 93 Tune : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : 1LE Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : 1LE Brembo Conversion
sspade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Silent...

Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Been happy with my CAI going on almost 5 years now. Ditto what sspade typed. I have the MF straight through exhaust as well.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
I'm going to play devils advocate. You do need a CAI yes, but is it worth $400? I don't know about that. The prices are what they are though, and you have to start somewhere. You probably won't feel that it was worth $400 until your car is tuned though. As a first mod, it seemed to me like alot of money for a relatively small payoff. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go for the $300 model instead of the $400 model.

And then I'd use the extra dough to get a VTC. Now there is bang for your buck.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:40 AM   #6
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
It's a waste of money. No sound or performance difference, until you add the race air scoop. Save your money for a mod that produces real results: hi-flo cats.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:20 AM   #7
Kenny Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
It's worth it for the sound alone, 400 is quite steep. Got my K+N for 269.
Jacfab Extendolator manifold spacers, K.C.'s ported Overkill 80mm TB, K.C.'s ported intake manifold,K+N Typhoon cai, Dynomax Valvetech axle back exhaust, Elite E-2 Catch Can, Jet stage two performance modual
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:32 AM   #8
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: Longest things on Earth
I went with Injen, check them out also. Grabs air from below.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #9
sspade

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
It's a waste of money. No sound or performance difference, until you add the race air scoop. Save your money for a mod that produces real results: hi-flo cats.

Can you explain exactly what your mean by "race air scoop" ?

Are you talking about the WW relocate kit ?

Please share, Ive been interested in getting more cold air directed to my intake but not exactly sure which route to go...
Cold Air Inductions CAI : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill 93 Tune : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : 1LE Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : 1LE Brembo Conversion
Old 04-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #10
OlePhu

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
There's occasionally an intake or two in the members marketplace so keep an eye out for that. New or used it'll be worth it.
I did look in the marketplace [forgot about that] and found a CAI that a guy still had for a decent price only it was for a LLT and I've got a LFX. I was curious if it would still work so I went to CAI's site and they show one for 2010-2011 and one for 2012-2015. I thought if it was just fitment, I might be able to make it work but ran across a post by Lil' Nasty where the LFX MAF won't fit in a LLT CAI? Bummer!

The first 3 comments were for the CAI but then ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
I'm going to play devils advocate. You do need a CAI yes, but is it worth $400? I don't know about that. The prices are what they are though, and you have to start somewhere. You probably won't feel that it was worth $400 until your car is tuned though. As a first mod, it seemed to me like alot of money for a relatively small payoff. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go for the $300 model instead of the $400 model.
And then I'd use the extra dough to get a VTC. Now there is bang for your buck.
I agree ... $400 is a chunk of change but maybe used would be the way to go. Doesn't appear that there would be much wear and tear with the exception of possibly replacing the filter. However, there seems to be a love/hate relationship with VTC's so I may consider that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Agreed. Very happy with my CAI intake. Great quality and fitment. Sounds good also and at the very least, is allowing the engine to breath better. Worth it.
Allowing the engine to breathe better is my main priority, second is appearance/fitment, then added performance [hp] and sound. I haven't looked into K+N or Ingen that closely just because they seem to be in the same price range as the Roto-Fab but I'll go back and re-visit them. Then there's the air scoop to consider like yzark99 mentioned. Of course, there's always the option of going with a Green Filter which, from what I've been reading, should be an improvement in airflow over the stock filter.

I'm also researching catch cans but that's a whole different journey.

Thanks again for all the feedback; it helps
Old 04-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #11
sspade

Do yourself a favor and get a catch can. Good, cheap insurance for DI engines to protect against carbon buildup and maintain performance over the long haul.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
OlePhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Can you explain exactly what your mean by "race air scoop" ?

Are you talking about the WW relocate kit ?

Please share, Ive been interested in getting more cold air directed to my intake but not exactly sure which route to go...
sspade, I may be wrong but I think this may help explain what yzark99 was referring to. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=124810&page=2
Old 04-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #13
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
^lots of incorrect info in that thread. Please look at post #43 in my signature link below. I also ran a green filter before I got the CAI, and it worked good. JacFab tested all drop in filters, and there are better brands than Green. Search.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #14
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlePhu View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I did look in the marketplace [forgot about that] and found a CAI that a guy still had for a decent price only it was for a LLT and I've got a LFX. I was curious if it would still work so I went to CAI's site and they show one for 2010-2011 and one for 2012-2015. I thought if it was just fitment, I might be able to make it work but ran across a post by Lil' Nasty where the LFX MAF won't fit in a LLT CAI? Bummer!

The first 3 comments were for the CAI but then ...
Yeah the LFX has a more square type of MAF housing as oppose to the LLT having a oval type. So it wouldn't fit. But I've seen quite a few intakes go through the market place so just keep checking (unless you decide not on getting it used) 👍. Last thing I'll say when I was considering the CAI inc was that it was insulated where the filter sat and had a lid to keep the hot engine air out. My intake also came with the ADM air scoop that helped direct air into the intake which I believe made a difference.

A catch can is a must and I would recommend Elite. I also thought about the VTC, but getting the hptune and 80mm TB really helped my theottle response and lag. So I didn't "need" a VTC.

Tags
cai, cold air induction