Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-24-2015, 11:42 PM   #1
mikedog_66
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Clean side separator a must have?

Is it neccessary to have a clean side separator along with the '"dirty" side catch can? I put an Elite catch can on mine when I had less 50 miles. It's working great and collecting a fair amount of oil.

To be honest, I'd rather not get a clean side separator due to the way it makes the oil filler cap stick up so high against the inside of the hood. Then again, if it helps just as much, I will get one.
mikedog_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
mikedog_66
Account Suspended

The only reason I'm asking is because it seems you will still get oil vapors in the intake at WOT even with a catch can on the dirty side. So, with a catch can on the dirty side and a separator on the clean side, no oil vapors will get through. Right?
Old 12-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
During certain WOT conditions, oil vapor flows through the clean side and can get into the intake manifold. So, if you wanted a 100% oil vapor/sludge free intake, I'd get the clean side separator too.
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedog_66 View Post
Is it neccessary to have a clean side separator along with the '"dirty" side catch can? I put an Elite catch can on mine when I had less 50 miles. It's working great and collecting a fair amount of oil.

To be honest, I'd rather not get a clean side separator due to the way it makes the oil filler cap stick up so high against the inside of the hood. Then again, if it helps just as much, I will get one.

The cleanside separator is always a great addition as it addresses the oil mist ingestion entering via the cleanside. This occurs during acceleration or WOT if using a single valve Elite can or any other can. If running the dual valve E2 or E2-X, the secondary suction source eliminates crankcase pressure and for the most part this occurring except during the brief period during valve switching to the strongest evacuation suction source. So if running a single outlet can yes, it completes the system and retains 100% MAF metered incoming air and a emissions compliant closed system. If running the dual valve versions it is also recommended as it will complete the entire system. You never want oil and other contaminates in the air/fuel mixture as any contamination will disrupt the burn pattern, flame front, and contribute to detonation, etc. The cleanside unit should not make contact with the hood....we have not seen this before so that would be new to us. In fact it sits no higher than the OEM GM plastic cleanside unit and this is a quality billet unit with coalescing media inside vs the plastic empty OEM unit (1LE cleanside separator).

So, in all cases you will benefit from this addition.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
mikedog_66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
The cleanside separator is always a great addition as it addresses the oil mist ingestion entering via the cleanside. This occurs during acceleration or WOT if using a single valve Elite can or any other can. If running the dual valve E2 or E2-X, the secondary suction source eliminates crankcase pressure and for the most part this occurring except during the brief period during valve switching to the strongest evacuation suction source. So if running a single outlet can yes, it completes the system and retains 100% MAF metered incoming air and a emissions compliant closed system. If running the dual valve versions it is also recommended as it will complete the entire system. You never want oil and other contaminates in the air/fuel mixture as any contamination will disrupt the burn pattern, flame front, and contribute to detonation, etc. The cleanside unit should not make contact with the hood....we have not seen this before so that would be new to us. In fact it sits no higher than the OEM GM plastic cleanside unit and this is a quality billet unit with coalescing media inside vs the plastic empty OEM unit (1LE cleanside separator).

So, in all cases you will benefit from this addition.
Thank you for the detailed response! I'm very happy with the Elite catch can I purchased for my car and couldn't imagine a better quality product.

The catch can is catching a lot of oil and it looks and feels good enough to be in an aerospace application, in my opinion. My throttle body is perfectly clean and I have no oil residue in my intake either.

I've been debating whether or not to get the GM unit. However, the Elite separator seems to be a much higher grade quality product (billet aluminum construction and cooalescing filtering media) for the price.

Time to start to saving up for an Elite cleanside separator.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:01 AM   #6
sitaipi

Drives: camaro
This occurs during acceleration or WOT if using a single valve Elite can or any other can
sitaipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:33 AM   #7
tajefe

Drives: Way 2 Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedog_66 View Post
Thank you for the detailed response! I'm very happy with the Elite catch can I purchased for my car and couldn't imagine a better quality product.

The catch can is catching a lot of oil and it looks and feels good enough to be in an aerospace application, in my opinion. My throttle body is perfectly clean and I have no oil residue in my intake either.

I've been debating whether or not to get the GM unit. However, the Elite separator seems to be a much higher grade quality product (billet aluminum construction and cooalescing filtering media) for the price.

Time to start to saving up for an Elite cleanside separator.
Love mine and no more oil in the air intake line. Not even close to hitting the hood and way better looking than the GM version.
Attached Images

Two tone wrap, Sacchi wheels, Phantom grill, tinted windows and all lights blacked out, Afterburner rapid fire sequential tail lights, LED fog lights, Volant CAI, Vitesse throttle controller, VMax ported throttle body, TB spacer, Jet MAF, JacFab intake spacer, ported intake manifold, OEM strut brace, SLP axle back, Elite catch can, and clean air seperator, OEM gauges, Rockford Fosgate powered 10" sub, Camaro led door sills.
Coming Soon-HP tune, Hi flow cats, rear diff swap, cams, lowering coils, accent lights, AFR gauge w/wideband O2, ???
tajefe is offline   Reply With Quote