Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
ka`mayor-oh

Drives: 2013 LS M6
Post LFX 300+ RWHP w/o TURBO, S/C

Recently purchased my second camaro, had to let go of my first in order to purchase a truck for work. I found this one in Alabama, it was salvaged due to a theft ( just had to replace bumper / diffuser ) couldn't pass it up for the price, 2013 1LS ( Manual ) 10,000 miles. Anyway...

I've always been intrigued by these cars and the build of the cars, especially the powerful V6 engine. I've done plenty of reading, addicted to this site, i've been spending a lot of time on the LFX dyno-thread lately.. I was wondering why it is with all of the possibly tunes, bolt-ons, etc for our engines why no-one has been able to surpass around 280rwhp ( stock around 245-250RWHP ) without going the nitrous, turbo, supercharger route.

I understand all cars are different and a dyno could be different any given day, but with purchasing every possible performance / engine mod including ( might miss some ) why it can't be done:
Cold Air intake: +10HP
Ported TB: +8HP
HF Cats: +15HP
New Mace Cams: +30-40HP
Exhaust system: +2-4HP ?
Dyno / Tune: +10-20HP ?
Gears: ?
LFX intake Spacer: ?

Like I mentioned, i'm sure i've missed a few mods / upgrades; and I understand that each car might not get that amount of HP from that mod or close to what they advertise for, just trying to gain as much information as I can if I can get above 300 RWHP without having to purchase a Supercharger or Twin-Turbos, I'd be completely happy.

Thanks in advance!

JP
ka`mayor-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Well first off, you have to keep in mind that not all of those mods just add up HP like you have shown above. The gains you are listing above is the maximum possible gain you might see on an otherwise completely stock car.

Once you start stacking mods, the gains from each are generally smaller.

All of those mods together (except for cams, gears, and intake spacer) might get you to around 350+ crank HP...maybe 360 tops but I wouldn't go around saying that. On a manual transmission car, if the dyno reads exact, and the car is running as perfect as possible (perfect weather and altitude), a 15% loss still only gets you to about 295rwhp. An automatic would only get you to around 280rwhp.

So you need to be in the 360+ crank HP to begin to see 300+rwhp out of these cars. That's hard to do.

Now...once we start seeing cams installed in the LFX, and if the tune is successful, then we should start see manual cars getting over 300rwhp and automatics getting near or past 300rwhp also in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Cams for V6 are out yet?????
Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
ArmyEOD17

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Mace Engineering in Australia has some out. I only know of one guy on here right now with them and he is trying to set up a good tuner before he installs them.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #5
ka`mayor-oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Well first off, you have to keep in mind that not all of those mods just add up HP like you have shown above. The gains you are listing above is the maximum possible gain you might see on an otherwise completely stock car.

Once you start stacking mods, the gains from each are generally smaller.

All of those mods together (except for cams, gears, and intake spacer) might get you to around 350+ crank HP...maybe 360 tops but I wouldn't go around saying that. On a manual transmission car, if the dyno reads exact, and the car is running as perfect as possible (perfect weather and altitude), a 15% loss still only gets you to about 295rwhp. An automatic would only get you to around 280rwhp.

So you need to be in the 360+ crank HP to begin to see 300+rwhp out of these cars. That's hard to do.

Now...once we start seeing cams installed in the LFX, and if the tune is successful, then we should start see manual cars getting over 300rwhp and automatics getting near or past 300rwhp also in my opinion.
Thanks for the info and help man, sitting around 290ish would be nice without the spacer, and cams that have been tuned... throw those in and like you mentioned, we should be able to get over that 300rwhp mark under good conditions as well on the dyno. That would be perfect, then I would definitely just look into a nice nitrous kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD17 View Post
Mace Engineering in Australia has some out. I only know of one guy on here right now with them and he is trying to set up a good tuner before he installs them.
^^^ Yeah a lot of us LFX guys are awaiting his installation and tune, pretty sure his username is blackedoutLFX or something similar, few threads down.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #6
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Personally, I don't think anyone is tuning the lfx perfectly right now so maybe a few more ponies can be squeezed out. Not many people on here great with vvt. I think the rev limiter will have to be raised on my car to see the full potential of cams. One day there will be 10,000 rpm cammed lfx's tearing up the track. I can dream right?
Nytrex 100 hp nitrous triple threat system, NytrexAccu-pressure bottle heater, HP tuners, K&N Typhoon CAI, MACE 6mm MI, Solo Performance high flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system, BMR subframe connectors, BMR tunnel brace, BMR lowering springs, BMR Xtreme Anti-roll bar rear, Hotchkins Strut brace, SS/LS3 3.45 LSD, Axles, and hubs, Elite Engineering catch can, B&M Supercooler transmission cooler, FTI 3200 Stall.
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
vong

Drives: Hazard Yellow Holden VE SV6
I'll be getting my rev limiter raised when I get my updated tune. Had one before the cams, not sure why it was turned back down to stock.
vong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
Noctis

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
I think something is up with my LFX then im pulling 281 rwhp with a rotofab and slp lm1 and I'm driving an automatic with 3 dyno pulls to comfirm

Last edited by Noctis; 01-22-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Adding on
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
Personally, I don't think anyone is tuning the lfx perfectly right now so maybe a few more ponies can be squeezed out. Not many people on here great with vvt. I think the rev limiter will have to be raised on my car to see the full potential of cams. One day there will be 10,000 rpm cammed lfx's tearing up the track. I can dream right?
I think there are a few places that have tuned a number of LFX engines with bolt-ons, SCs, and turbos. FSP is one, but I'm sure there are a number of other tuners out there too. Search the forums and these shops have posted impressive dyno numbers with the LFX.

Tuning the older LLTs has been more difficult due to the lack of tuning tools. Hopefully HPTuners will solve that problem shortly!
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
ka`mayor-oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
There he is folks, ha . . any update on the cam install / tune bro? I see you're in Bama` I just picked up my new camaro from Lincoln, AL a week or two ago.

Last edited by ka`mayor-oh; 01-25-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
I think something is up with my LFX then im pulling 281 rwhp with a rotofab and slp lm1 and I'm driving an automatic with 3 dyno pulls to comfirm
Do you have your dyno graph available? I would guess that it's STD instead of SAE.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #12
Jabeyta21

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vong View Post
I'll be getting my rev limiter raised when I get my updated tune. Had one before the cams, not sure why it was turned back down to stock.
Wat did you raise your limiter to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
Jabeyta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #13
Kenny Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
The Overkill tune with the E-85 conversion has autos over 300 rwhp and manuals over315 rwhp, with or nearly a full bolt on setup
Old 07-21-2016, 03:54 AM   #14
ghosted

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS (Summit White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
The Overkill tune with the E-85 conversion has autos over 300 rwhp and manuals over315 rwhp, with or nearly a full bolt on setup
I made a LONG, in-depth response to this thread also....before I realized it was 2 years old, and resurrected by the poster above you. lol