Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
Matt2ls

Drives: 2015 2ls, tune, MRT v2, coldairind
Overkill 80mm throttle body loud winning noise

I just recently put on an over kill 80mm throttle body, when I turned the car on after finishing my rpms were jumping from 400 to up to 1250 almost stalling out I figured the car was learning to the new air flow. I took a quick little test drive and the car was running a little bit off I was thinking it's just gonna take a little for the car to learn to the throttle body. Yesterday I went for a longer drive and I noticed the throttle body makes a very very loud whining noise that I can hear over the music, it is not all the time only at a certain opening point of the throttle body does it make this whining noise. I'm 19 tried to show my dad the sound as he knows much more than me and he couldn't hear it at all. The sound is beyond annoying to me I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and still to today at a red light or in park the rpms are almost stalling out then bouncing up to about 1200 rpms. any suggestions? I know I can try to talk to will but it already took over a month of waiting to get the throttle body
Matt2ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
The erratic idle is probably a sign of a vacuum leak. I'd look closely at the spot where the TB meets the intake. Did you tighten those bolts in a uniformed manner? There needs to be even pressure on whatever gasket is inbetween those two in order to have a good seal.

The whine is a known artifact that some have experienced with the 80mm.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX
OP - I have the exact same car and TB... 2015 2LS...

Have the whine with mine as well. Glad to hear you have it, no offense!

Will has stated this is normal.

Have not experienced the erratic idle that you describe tho. I'm guessing these issues are not related.

Keep us posted on what you find out...
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill 93 Tune : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : 1LE Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
Kenny Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Sounds like you have gasket sealing problem issue. I had a slight erratic idle, but not as bad as yours sounds like. After 150-200 miles she smoothed out and purrs like a kitten now, nice and smooth. Check out your TB to manifold seal , I bet you have a leak.
Jacfab Extendolator manifold spacers, K.C.'s ported Overkill 80mm TB, K.C.'s ported intake manifold,K+N Typhoon cai, Dynomax Valvetech axle back exhaust, Elite E-2 Catch Can, Jet stage two performance modual
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS 6M
And don't over tq those bolts! easy strip and if that happens it'll never seal..good luck!
2010 SS 2SS M6 - Spectre CAI - JET TBS - JBA Shorty Headers - ARH H/F Catted Mids - Doug Thorley axle back - MSD 12v coil harness mod - PAC 1218's - BTR 3/8 7.4 push-rods - Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings - Prothane motor mounts - Prothane rear sub-frame inserts - BMR Trailing Arms & bushings - 1LE axles - tune by RDP dynoSteve!(Woot) - LS9 block - Daily Driver - 111K!---12.7 at 112 - 1.9 60'--- BFG Comp-2 STREET Tire/stock size
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
Matt2ls

Was showing the problem to my father and the car fully stalled out, we are taking the throttle body off and going to try putting it on again for hopefully different results but from what he saw It shouldn't have been leaking air to begin
Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
Matt2ls

Just finished, tightened it down much harder than last time and the car is idling perfect not moving at all, seems to be all good now
Old 03-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
Kenny Camaro

Alright! Go enjoy, but don't get a ticket! Haha
Jacfab Extendolator manifold spacers, K.C.'s ported Overkill 80mm TB, K.C.'s ported intake manifold,K+N Typhoon cai, Dynomax Valvetech axle back exhaust, Elite E-2 Catch Can, Jet stage two performance modual
Old 03-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #9
Matt2ls

Sadly I'm back where I started after 1 min, everything was idling perfect backed out of drive way shot the stabilitrak signal, whole car started sounding super clunky and stalled out, restarted the car barely got back into driveway. And have the engine light on now, and seems like everything is much worse now
Old 03-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
Camaro1037

Drives: 2015 Camaro Ls
Sounds like a crazy thought here,but try this
Did you happen to maybe get the wires mix up?
From the throttle body and the C.A.I. mass air sensor
It almost happen to me when I put in my Vmax T.B. Got into a hurry and could not figure out why the wires could not reach the M.A.S. I laugh at myself got it altogether correctly. A few days went by . Next thing I did start to get a whine noise. So I check my connection of the C.A.I elbow on my K&N. Look fine on top but the elbow came loose on the bottom. With that being said I went, and unscrewed everything from the C.A.I tubing to the T.B. Then made sure everything was done slowly and retighten down correctly. Fix my issue that you seem to be having now .
Hope it helps somehow for ya.. Good Luck

http://www.carsponsors.com/applicati...ut/Camaro1037/
Camaro1037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
Matt2ls

the hose from air intake to intake manifold had a leak in the back close to the intake manifold got it fixed and everything is running perfect
Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #12
Kenny Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2ls View Post
the hose from air intake to intake manifold had a leak in the back close to the intake manifold got it fixed and everything is running perfect
YAY!!
Old 03-03-2017, 02:16 AM   #13
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX
Still whine?
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill 93 Tune : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : 1LE Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #14
Matt2ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Still whine?
yes still there very annoying to me but love the power from the throttle body so I'm dealing with it