Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 12-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Redslayer15821

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
Can a mod make your car slower?

So I recently installed an extendolator which essentially is a spacer for your air intake manifold. Install was pretty straight forward but I get the feeling I did something wrong or maybe it's simply not a good match for my car. Because ever since install the car feels notably less powerful and some what sluggish despite my throttle body controller. I expected a loss at the top end but I feel as though I lost both power and torque across all rpm ranges. Is this all in my head or have any of you noticed similar results with this or any other mod for the LFX.
Redslayer15821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
BluedEvil21

Drives: 2013 Camaro v6 hot wheels edition
Double check all your stuff was reinstalled properly, i have both mods and definitely do not have that problem
Old 12-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Redslayer15821

I'll definitely give everything another look. I felt like I might be going crazy because I naturally assumed that if I messed up re-assembly the car would throw a CEL code or something. Maybe I should recalibrate my vitesse controller
Old 12-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Gee

Drives: 2011 LT Coupe Silver
Also, did you have the battery negative removed while doing the install? ECU may need a relearn.
Gee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
BluedEvil21

Drives: 2013 Camaro v6 hot wheels edition
Maybe you accidentally hit economic mode that'll slow her down lol
Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redslayer15821 View Post
So I recently installed an extendolator which essentially is a spacer for your air intake manifold. Install was pretty straight forward but I get the feeling I did something wrong or maybe it's simply not a good match for my car. Because ever since install the car feels notably less powerful and some what sluggish despite my throttle body controller. I expected a loss at the top end but I feel as though I lost both power and torque across all rpm ranges. Is this all in my head or have any of you noticed similar results with this or any other mod for the LFX.
A throttle body spacer is essentially making the intake manifold think it is a hair bigger by increasing plenum volume. If your car doesn't need any more intake you will not gain and it will seem like a negative. Of course the only way to see for sure is a back to back on the dyno or at the track or both.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Yeah check your connections and if you hit the A button on the Throttle controller.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
A throttle body spacer is essentially making the intake manifold think it is a hair bigger by increasing plenum volume. If your car doesn't need any more intake you will not gain and it will seem like a negative. Of course the only way to see for sure is a back to back on the dyno or at the track or both.
It's not a throttle body spacer. It has been dyno tested back to back, in several different configurations and thicknesses, by myself, and several others I sent product to to try. It was developed, and evolved over the course of a year and over 10k road miles on two different cars of my own, and who knows how many miles on the cars of others. I've taken it off and put it back on more times than I can count with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redslayer15821 View Post
I'm not sure why you are experiencing what you are describing, but I would suggest double checking all the connections, vacuum lines, check for vacuum leaks.

If you want to give it an honest to goodness back to back on the road, either turn the throttle controller to SP0, or remove it all together, drive around for a couple days, remove it, drive around for a couple more and see if you feel a difference?

At the end of the day, if you are convinced it doesn't work or you aren't happy with it, send it back and I will give you a refund.

Thus far, you are the only one that has this complaint out of all of them that I have sold so far.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 12-02-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
pontiacman70

Drives: 70 Trans Am 94 TA 2014 2LT
I recently installed an extendolator and ported manifold from JacFab great mods much better response and torque down low and great pull all the way to 6800rpm.

Ed
pontiacman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #10
Redslayer15821

I think I'm gonna go with recalibrating my controller. @ Jason, It's not meant to be a complaint, I guess I wanted to get some input to confirm weather or not it was all in my head or if a loss was in fact a possibility. I don't have a CAI just yet I'm thinking this will help me capitalize on the spacer gains in addition to porting my TB. Dyno testing isn't a realistic venture for me because I am stuck in italy for the time being. Thank you all for the input. I will report back once I uninstall and reinstall my TBC and see if it helps.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #11
JantzenOKC
Twins on the way!

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS LFX
The 24" wheel mod can make your car slower!
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #12
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Of course a mod can slow you down. In the early 70s, the wannabes put huge cams in the stock geared/motor car. They lost money to Volkswagens.

RIP William Tyler "Grumpy" Jenkins - b 12-22-1930 d - 03-29-2012
Thanks Bill, for showing all the non-believers a 331" small block Chevy powered car could outrun a 426 Hemi powered car. Thanks for the tube chassis, the splay valve small block cylinder heads, the strut front suspension, and the dry sump oiling system. I applaud your becoming the once king of the NA motors builders. Most of all, thanks for the racing memories and inspiring many young guys to follow in your footsteps.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote