Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
center speaker question

Hi folks I was wondering has anyone tried to place a 4" speaker where the 3.5" speaker goes in the center console. If so, was the fit good enough as to where the plastic cover fits as before or was it modded in any way ?
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
As the stock amp doesnt have a center channel (they cheated and just mixed the left and right channels) most people just unplug it.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
That's what I did also... Unplug and forget it.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
camarostar2010

I have a custom set up folks. i am running the top of the line kenwood navi . i have plenty of power. I upgraded the 6.5 door speakers, now the weak link is the center speaker. trust me when I tell u. With out it the car sounds far less better now that I upgraded and have the power. The center speaker makes a major sound quality difference. So I would like a little more pep. I can get the top of the inifinity reference speaker...for about 30 more watts and much better imaging or get even a bit more with a 4". So in my case I need this advice. thank you for your replies. i should of mentioned this earlier.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
Hi folks I was wondering has anyone tried to place a 4" speaker where the 3.5" speaker goes in the center console. If so, was the fit good enough as to where the plastic cover fits as before or was it modded in any way ?
The other guys are correct, you will likely be best of just detaching the speaker in the center. Since there is only .30" of mounting height to work with, you won't likely find a speaker to fit under the factory grille without issues.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
camarostar2010

ahhh i settle for a very good quality infinity kappa 3.5 inch with adjustable tweeter.....rms is double the stock...trust when i say the car sounds a lot better with it, when running a custom set up ...just my .02 Thank u all
Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
If you already know what it is you want then why come on here asking ? I'd probably say 80% of camaro owners that are audiophiles totally unhook or remove the center speaker. If the door speakers and tweeters are setup correctly there is no need for a center speaker beacause 9 out of 10 its totally outpowered by the doors. There is no way a 4" speaker will outperform a 6.5" and tweeter on any given day.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Word
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
camarostar2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE View Post
If you already know what it is you want then why come on here asking ? I'd probably say 80% of camaro owners that are audiophiles totally unhook or remove the center speaker. If the door speakers and tweeters are setup correctly there is no need for a center speaker beacause 9 out of 10 its totally outpowered by the doors. There is no way a 4" speaker will outperform a 6.5" and tweeter on any given day.

Hey Pipe since u obviously didn't read my original question I will explain it to you. My request was to get an answer to whether a 4" speaker would fit without issue in the original 3.5 speaker area. In other words, I rather not experiment if some one did it. Since the area is very hard access i wanted to see if any one tried this yet. As for your very silly comment that a 6.5 will out perform a 4..ummm yeah thanks for telling me...just like a 427 out performs a 376...(and along those line do simple math with an "after market set up..aka more watts is always louder then less. So 2 X 6.5" + 3.5" equals more then just 2 6.5" any day) just like my 2 X 12' MTX 9500 out perform almost every thing i heard yet ..ding bat. Your insight is so rewarding. And since you want to tell me what 9 outta 10 people do. 9 ouuta 10 people on here and off, cant beat my twins turbo set up or my sound system set up. Guess u got piped..lol Next time just answer the question, and stop ranting about things we all know about ...smh

Last edited by camarostar2010; 05-13-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
actually, for a nice set up the center can be reused and with proper processing can be a nice improvement. Crutchfield is not giving you a full answer really...a midrange would be all that is needed up there. You don't need a coax in there. So height is of non-issue. The real problem is a proper driver for the center that isn't very expensive. For most 'driver' set ups just ditching the center is fine if you are just doing factory replacements in the doors and sails.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
camarostar2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
actually, for a nice set up the center can be reused and with proper processing can be a nice improvement. Crutchfield is not giving you a full answer really...a midrange would be all that is needed up there. You don't need a coax in there. So height is of non-issue. The real problem is a proper driver for the center that isn't very expensive. For most 'driver' set ups just ditching the center is fine if you are just doing factory replacements in the doors and sails.

Thanks...i agree crutchfeild didnt address my concern...I dont want to get rid of my center speaker. i want to upgrade it. Money isnt a concern here. I already made my mind up. Going with a top of the line 3.5 coax. thanks for the good intentions grocerygetter....but I havent done factory setups ever. i need 2000 watts or more to feel at home Just like 426 hp lasted me about a month before i decide to up that