Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Macfolk
J.T.

Drives: Camaro 2SS w/RS package, Imp. Blue
Vararam?

Hey all,

I am just about ready to buy an intake, and I like the idea of an OTR due to the claims in the low to mid range, as mine is a DD.

My question is for those of you who have a newer model Vararam on your SS. How is the fit and install now? How is the performance? Did you have any issues?

I am torn between the New Era, mainly due to the solid look of the install, and the more reasonable Vararam.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Love this car!
Macfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Chiefish

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I installed the Vararam about a month ago, no issues installing except I was missing two screws for the maf sensor. No big deal I went into my nut and bolt bin and had two that fit perfectly.
I feel the mounting for it is adequate solid and doesnt move around at all. I have taken it to the drag strip twice now with about 15 runs on it and it didnt move at all.
I think you will definatly feel the improvement in the low end feel in traffic and such on the highway. If your on a tighter budget its a better deal. But not the better looking of the two. I wasnt on a tight budget but to me I like the vararam better so thats why I bought it over the New era.
Chiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfolk View Post
Hey all,

I am just about ready to buy an intake, and I like the idea of an OTR due to the claims in the low to mid range, as mine is a DD.

My question is for those of you who have a newer model Vararam on your SS. How is the fit and install now? How is the performance? Did you have any issues?

I am torn between the New Era, mainly due to the solid look of the install, and the more reasonable Vararam.

Thanks,

Jason
I've never seen the New Era in person to make a comparison and I did not install my Vararam (it was part of my cam/bolt-on package with the shop) but I like the Vararam. It looks good under the hood. Fit and finish are fine. I haven't opened it up to change the filter yet so no feedback there. The logic of a straight in - outside air intake makes perfect sense to me so I'm happy and satisfied. I wouldn't pay more money to accomplish the same thing.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Here is a picture of mine for what it is worth:
Attached Images

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
New Era

Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
BlAcK MaMbA SS

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS RS L99
Send a message via MSN to BlAcK MaMbA SS Send a message via Yahoo to BlAcK MaMbA SS
I just installed my VRam and love it, and you will feel the difference smoother ride and not to mention a little more sound from the stock exhaust.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfolk View Post
Hey all,

Thanks,

Jason
Jason the vararam is not out for 2012 cars, Gm moved the filler for the radiator so the units out there dont fit as of now, but tests are done for the new unit, and there working on getting units out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Here is a picture of mine for what it is worth:
You will like the new one more.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Macfolk
J.T.

Drives: Camaro 2SS w/RS package, Imp. Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Jason the vararam is not out for 2012 cars, Gm moved the filler for the radiator so the units out there dont fit as of now, but tests are done for the new unit, and there working on getting units out soon.

You will like the new one more.
Thanks, but I drive an '11.

Love this car!
Macfolk is offline   Reply With Quote