Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
So I goofed, what the hell was I thinking?

Long story short:
I came home the other day and rinsed off my car then parked it in the garage. I do have a water softener but when I washed the car yesterday I was shocked at the amount of water spots I now have, most likely etching. What a freaking bonehead I am.

1st and last time I’ll ever to that. All I have to say is: I HATE LOVE BUGS!!

Anyway after the wash I am still left with a decent amount of spotting. I tried clay and vinegar but neither really helped so I’m assuming the paint is etched. This morning before work I woke up early (couldn't sleep thinking aobut it) and hit part of the roof with some polish (by hand) and that did the trick.

So my question: Most of the spots are spread over the top of the car (hood, roof, and trunk). Should I do a hand polish or hit it with a PC or some other method. If PC is the preferred choice should I just use a polish or go a bit more aggressive?

Thanks,

Felix - AKA, The Bonehead
Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Try a clay bar first.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
Try a clay bar first.
I tried clay, I wrote that in my post.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Sorry, Should have read the entire post. Pm Dylan thats my only other idea.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: yummy
If hand polishing worked without excessive rubbing I would hand polish. Although a PC would be a lot easier if you have one.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
PC and fine machine polish from Adams or just hand polish??? Would have to wash and clay first...

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-140-a...ne-polish.aspx
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Long story short:
I came home the other day and rinsed off my car then parked it in the garage. I do have a water softener but when I washed the car yesterday I was shocked at the amount of water spots I now have, most likely etching. What a freaking bonehead I am.

Was the car exposed to the sun after you rinsed it? It's really hard to get water etching quickly (unless the water is REALLY bad or there was some type of chemical reaction that was activated in part by the water). Sometimes even dirt scum can be difficult to remove.
Quote:
1st and last time Iíll ever to that. All I have to say is: I HATE LOVE BUGS!!
All of us Floridians do...!!

Quote:
Anyway after the wash I am still left with a decent amount of spotting. I tried clay and vinegar but neither really helped so Iím assuming the paint is etched. This morning before work I woke up early (couldn't sleep thinking aobut it) and hit part of the roof with some polish (by hand) and that did the trick.
Clay will only work on some mineral deposits, but not all. (It depends on how much they protruded above the surface and how big they are). How did you apply the vinegar?

Quote:
So my question: Most of the spots are spread over the top of the car (hood, roof, and trunk). Should I do a hand polish or hit it with a PC or some other method. If PC is the preferred choice should I just use a polish or go a bit more aggressive?
No matter the detailing process (whether polishing out paint defects or cleaning leather) you always want to use the least aggressive method possible. If a light polish is working fine, then there would be no reason or need to go more aggressive. By the same token, if the light polish isn't working, then you could step up to a more aggressive processes first.

If both light polishing with a hand or polish is working, then it is a matter of time savings (for me). The PC will deliver a more uniform final finish and remove much of the grunt work out of the job.

As I side note, water etching usually requires aggressive polishing (at least) and more than likely heavy compounding. If a light polish is working on the paint, then it is likely that you have water spots (not etchings) and the light polish is cleaning them off the paint.

Quote:
Thanks,

Felix - AKA, The Bonehead

No problem, I hope that helped
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Was the car exposed to the sun after you rinsed it? It's really hard to get water etching quickly (unless the water is REALLY bad or there was some type of chemical reaction that was activated in part by the water). Sometimes even dirt scum can be difficult to remove.

All of us Floridians do...!!

Clay will only work on some mineral deposits, but not all. (It depends on how much they protruded above the surface and how big they are). How did you apply the vinegar?

No matter the detailing process (whether polishing out paint defects or cleaning leather) you always want to use the least aggressive method possible. If a light polish is working fine, then there would be no reason or need to go more aggressive. By the same token, if the light polish isn't working, then you could step up to a more aggressive processes first.

If both light polishing with a hand or polish is working, then it is a matter of time savings (for me). The PC will deliver a more uniform final finish and remove much of the grunt work out of the job.

As I side note, water etching usually requires aggressive polishing (at least) and more than likely heavy compounding. If a light polish is working on the paint, then it is likely that you have water spots (not etchings) and the light polish is cleaning them off the paint.

No problem, I hope that helped.
ok, to answer some questions.

1- No, the car dried in the garage
2- I appled straight vinegar with an MF towel
3- The hand polishing worked with very little effort. So you'd recommened just using the same polish but with the PC (to save time)?
4- The car was very dusty when I spryed it down, so maybe you are right just water spots since they come out with a very light polish. With that said, the car is sitting out in the sun today while I'm at work, do you think the spots will get worse or are they all ready settled now that the car has been cleaned?
5- Do you think I did any permenate damange to the paint?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Some tips on trick to avoid w/s from junkman...

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/wa...-bar/11523.htm
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
If you were able to get some spots out with hand polishing, I would definitely try that for the rest. If you wanted to use the PC, I think that you would be just fine with polish and not have to go more aggressive. Unless you have swirls as well...
Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Thanks all. The polish will remove my sealant and wax correct? I'll need to reseal and wax when done?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
ok, to answer some questions.

1- No, the car dried in the garage
Good. Also keep in mind that water softeners work by replacing calcium with salt, so you could have some salt residue).

Quote:
2- I appled straight vinegar with an MF towel
The general recommended practice is to dilute vinegar with water (50/50) then wipe on to the car. Allow to dwell for as long as possible with out drying, then rinse off. This gives the vinegar time to react and dissolve the calcium and magnesium that usually create water spots.

Quote:
3- The hand polishing worked with very little effort. So you'd recommened just using the same polish but with the PC (to save time)?
Then you definitely don't have water etching at all. Water etching is serious condition (for the paint) that looks like craters under close inspection.

Quote:
4- The car was very dusty when I spryed it down, so maybe you are right just water spots since they come out with a very light polish. With that said, the car is sitting out in the sun today while I'm at work, do you think the spots will get worse or are they all ready settled now that the car has been cleaned?
They won't get worse unless they begin to etch into the paint. Since you used softened water, most the calcium and magnesium that is responsible for etching is likely not on the paint. Since the water dried in the garage (vs. droplets in the sun that create a lens-focusing effect) I would say you are likely fine.

Quote:
5- Do you think I did any permenate damange to the paint?

Thanks for your help!
No I don't believe so. If they come out with a light hand polish, then you have nothing to worry about. Even if they are super light water etching, if they are coming out with a a light hand polish, then you have absolutely nothing water-so-ever- at all, not even a little tiny bit to worry about.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Thanks all. The polish will remove my sealant and wax correct? I'll need to reseal and wax when done?
Yes, as will vinegar.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Yes, as will vinegar.
Thanks for all your help!

It's a lesson learned!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Thanks for all your help!

It's a lesson learned!
My pleasure Felix!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

All is good in the hood again!

Came home last night:
Quick wash
Quick polish with the PC
Sealant with the PC

This morning:
Waxed

This afternoon:
2nd wax

All looking great again!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

2nd coat of wax done.

Pics to show it did happen

Old 05-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Looks good!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
Looks good!
Thanks.

Sent from my 2LT/RS using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
Sorry, Should have read the entire post. Pm Dylan thats my only other idea.
!! Go back to sleep I'll wake you up when we're done- ok ? By the way NYR the car looks good man !!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBY View Post
!! Go back to sleep I'll wake you up when we're done- ok ? By the way NYR the car looks good man !!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I have a whole house filter before our water softener and I have run into the same thing a couple of times. I just grab my bottle of Zaino Z6 and it takes the water spots right off. Same thing when I owned my 96 Z28.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #23
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
I have a whole house filter before our water softener and I have run into the same thing a couple of times. I just grab my bottle of Zaino Z6 and it takes the water spots right off. Same thing when I owned my 96 Z28.
Thanks for the advice. Was that while it was drying off or shortly after, or several hours after it dried?

Must be the salt these whole house softeners use!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
Todd@Autopia

[COLOR="Navy"]Looks great, I'm glad it turned out well for you! [/COLOR]
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #25
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Was that while it was drying off or shortly after, or several hours after it dried?

Must be the salt these whole house softeners use!
Next morning after the daylight hit it. There have been times when I finished washing the car in the dark and garage fluorescent lights can actually hide things at times.

What salt are you using? I noticed a big difference in what brand of salt I use. For me, the Diamond Crystal brand at Lowe's leaves a lot more residue behind than Morton's System Saver II does. I can get the Morton's at Walmart cheaper than the Diamond Crystal at Lowe's. I have tested the hardness of my water a few times over the past couple of years to ensure I have the correct hardness programmed in. You could give Potassium Chloride pellets a try, but they are a lot more expensive. Potassium Chloride has 99% less sodium in it.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote