Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Intermediate Sound Setup?

What would you consider an Intermediate setup? I dont want competition grade as I have no intention of balls to the wall sound...

-I loved my old 12 w6's so I am looking to get 2 12wv2s
-1 1000/1 or 2 500/1 JL amps depending on what is suggested
-Upgraded compenents....suggestings are welcomed
-Replacement of factory amp for components...again suggestions welcome
-Head unit is up in the air at the moment
-Sealed boxes as I want them on each side of the trunk such as subthumps
-dynomat or another brand

Price point 3k (not including head unit)

What would you suggest that I am missing that would be needed?
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2014 Cruze 1LT/RS
Well, you didn't say if this was a DIY project, so for the following, I assumed you would DIY:

Here ya go - I used Sonic Electronix as a baseline for pricing - they're not the cheapest, but they're not the highest either.

JL Audio 12W3v3-4 (x2)---$230 (x2)
JL Audio JX1000/1D-------$350
JL Audio XD400/4---------$330
JL Audio C2-650 (6.5")----$170
JL Audio C2-690tx (6x9)---$140
Wiring, cabling, RCA's------$400
Subthump boxes-----------$450
Dynamat (80 sq ft or so)----$350
---------------------------$2650

Since you are a fan of JL Audio, I figured a complete JL Audio system would be pretty cool, and arguably would sound pretty good.

Some Notes:

Wiring estimate may be a little low. You may want to contact Steve @ Subthump. I know he has mentioned experience with JL Audio in some discussions, so he may sell them and be able to help with shipping by pre-assembling the subs and boxes or something. I didn't see a passenger side 12" box either, so you should ask him if that is possible. I would say you definitely want to get a FARK kit (+$100) or at least his V3 harness ($60). I don't know if he has any FARK kits in stock, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Some speaker adapters can also be had from Subthump for $50 ($30 front, $20 rear)

One thing I would highly suggest is an EQ if you're not going to replace the HU right now. There are plenty of options for EQ's - I chose a Clarion EQS-746 ($70). My plan is to set it and then maybe hide it in the trunk somewhere.

As a side note, I don't know how you feel about Rockford Fosgate, but I am doing my car complete RF Power Series and so far it's only cost me $2127 (that's everything except some MDF). I may end up buying a third amp, but it would then still only be $2400. I might also be soon needing a bigger alt though
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Visual Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Pioneer DEX-P99RS * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
wow! thanks for the detail.. yea it will be a diy.. I have been out of the game for a few years and just wanted a good sounding system and cover all bases...thanks for the feedback
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote