Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
cbuchak2000

Drives: 2011 Triple Black 2SS 6spd Vert,
Phoenix Gold & JL Audio - Great Sounding Combo

Hi everyone,
I have a 2011 Convertible SS and while I love the car, like most of you I was EXTREMELY disapointed in the Boston Acoustic System that came with the car. My local audio shop came up with a GREAT combo that I thought I'd share for anyone interested.

I went to the guys at Sound Decisions in Racine, Wisconsin and they listened to the system and immediately came up with a great solution. They contacted the guys at Phoenix Gold and were able to get the just the amp and the touchface remote control (and all wiring) from their GM specific I-Sub systems. This is awesome because it is a plug and play deal that we ended up putting in my spare tire well that replaces the factory amp and plugs in to the factory harnesses. Its an 800W 6 Channel so it controls the center channel, the 4 speakers in the car, and the subs. In addition they got the stealthbox from JL Audio (dual subs that fit in the trunk of the convertible and still leave space for storage via a curved box that hugs the outline of the spare tire well and the back seat) and that is being controlled by the Phoenx Gold I amp as well. In addition they replaced the door speakers with JL Audio C3's.

The result is a system that has awesome thump, crystal clear sound, and all of my factory systems - Bluetooth, Onstar, XM, door chimes, etc... are all intact and running through the amp. The amp itself has a touchscreen controller that allows you to change EQ settings as well as listening position in the car, and has preset DSP options that sound amazing. Everyone is constantly amazed how much sound I get from the system even with the top down! It is awesome. In addition, since the sub box occupies the area that the safety net for the convertible would normally cover, I just unplugged the wire harness in the trunk for the sensor on the safety screen, removed the screen, and my top always goes down withough having to check on the position of the screen.

The whole system was $1900 tax included and installed and like I said no wires needed to be cut or modified, it was a direct fit deal and the two separate companies components sound awesome together. No matter how loud I crank the stereo I get no distortion and super clean tight deep bass. As of now (this may have changed) phoenix gold only lists this amp integrated with their 10" sub, but Sound Decisions in Racine says they can get this amp as needed for this type of set up. The big benefit of this to me anyway, was that I got JL's dual 10" set up as opposed to phoenix's single 10" set up. If you have any questions, let me know, I'll be happy to fill you in on more details as desired.

Thanks,
Chad
cbuchak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Interesting. Sounds like they made an awesome pair!
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
cbuchak2000

Drives: 2011 Triple Black 2SS 6spd Vert,
I think so. Given the constraints in space, and having a convertible I was pretty sure I would never be happy with the stereo in this car, but I have been pleasantly surprised at the resulting combination.
cbuchak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote